Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

cp flown fp

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 08:41 PM
ultramag1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cp flown fp

I heard from a guy at my local hobby store that u can fly a cp heli on a 4ch radio.
He said you need to buy a few parts to make it work but it can be done.
I havent flown a heli in about 6 months and i would like to get back in to it.
I do know how to fly so that is not a problem. What would you guys consider the most stable mid size heli? ex shogun 400?
I prefere fix pitch. buut cp would be ok if i can fly it on my 4ch radio
thanks Mike
Old 05-09-2005, 09:32 AM
Shard

Default RE: cp flown fp

You can't fly a CP on a 4ch radio.. u need at least 5ch. For a 4ch FP u need ail + elev + rudder + throttle control.. for a CP heli you need to add Pitch control and if you want TX gyro mixing you will have to get a 6ch receiver/transmitter.
Zoom is not a FP helicopter and if you decide to go with CP you have a couple choices: Zoom, Trex450, Ark400, or in couple of weeks new Trex450XL. One very important (and sometimes overlooked) component of a CP heli is the Transmitter.. don't try to save $$ on the TX.. get yourself a quality computer radio with at least 5-point throttle/pitch curves.
Good luck and have fun!
Old 05-09-2005, 12:38 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to add more information
You can fly a CP heli with a 4 channel transmitter and some extra pieces.
You just do not want to. (the trick is to tie the throttle channel and the collective channel together)

The whole point of having CP is to independantly control the throttle and the collective. This gives you full head speed when descending, letting you keep full cyclic authority as you descend from altitude. It also allows for sustained, inverted flight.

Another common discussion along these lines is that you can fix the collective works in one position and fly the CP like a FP heli. Also a bad idea. This gives you the worst of both worlds. Bad cyclic authority AND fragile mechanics.

And just to note, you do not need a gyro either. I have flown my FP Piccolo without a gyro. Do I ever want to do that again? NO! I even do not ever want to fly my Piccolo again because it has a rate gyro rather than a head hold gyro. (Well, that and I now have a T-Rex!)
Old 05-10-2005, 07:44 AM
oops

Actually, you could fly a CP on 4 channels just fine...

First, you would need to tie the CP and Throttle together as was suggested, and then you would need a motor controller to provide all your throttle in the lower half of the throttle stick, and near-zero CP to full CP in the top half.

This will let you spin up the rotor to full speed first, then control pitch after. So you get CP performance with just 4 channels.

You would have negative pitch while it was spinning up, but that wouldn't be so bad as it would go flat as you increased throttle.... You would just need an ESC that responded to full head speed and no more at half-throttle to full throttle.

That's how the Walkera 22A mixes it at the receiver... And it works fine.

But yeah, it's not a good idea... Better to buy the right stuff outright.

David