Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Electri Heli Choice

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Electri Heli Choice

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2002, 10:44 PM
Pilarubble

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electri Heli Choice

Am interested in starting out in the hobby with an electric heli. Am leaning towards either the Litemachines Corona or JR Voyager E . Anybody know about either . Suggestions , Pros & cons of either .Any reply or help would be greatly appreciated
Old 10-02-2002, 01:40 PM
trey3670
My Feedback: (10)

hornet electric has done very well with me so far
Old 10-02-2002, 04:39 PM
Culverson
My Feedback: (14)

Do not look over the Mikado Electic Log line of helis either.
http://www.mikado-heli.de/en/
The Lite-Voyagers are fine helis as well.
Old 10-02-2002, 10:27 PM
trey3670

Default link dont work

Originally posted by Culverson
Do not look over the Mikado Electic Log line of helis either.
The Lite-Voyagers are fine helis as well.
link doesnt work
Old 10-04-2002, 12:58 AM
n0jvt

Get the LMH Corona - Its inexpensive...tough cheap to repair if you do manage to break somthing...there has been numerous reports of coronas flopping in from 100' - smacking metal poles...cars....curbs...bushes...trees... with little to no damage
Old 10-04-2002, 06:56 AM
Culverson

My bud Gary Wright was seen flying a new brushless motor on the Mikado line of helis. He was flying inverted very impressive for a electric. But there are a lot of nice E. helis out there that has good qualities.
Old 10-09-2002, 12:52 PM
Culverson

Mikado Link:
Old 10-13-2002, 03:34 PM
para_bill

Has anyone had any experience with the ECO 8 from Hobby Lobby??

Thanks
para_bill
Old 10-13-2002, 06:31 PM
trey3670

i know there are a few for sale the ms composite is very hard ta fly iv spent about 150$ in parts for it,course im very new also
Old 10-15-2002, 04:35 PM
JasonD

I am learning to fly on a Corona and love it. Altogether I've spent about $23.00 on parts on my learning to hover part.

Great machine tough, flies great, and handles the wind well. Of course it is only fixed pitched so you can't do 3D.

Jason
Old 10-17-2002, 06:33 PM
Ju87BStuka

I wopuld advise against an electric heli to start to learn to fly. I have an Eco8, but ended up spending so much on modifications and repairs that I could have bought at least two 30 size helis. That's what I did in the end, and gained more experience in one afternoon than with 10 months with the Eco. Too fragile, needs brushless to perform, and short durations needs many batttery packs.
Start with a glo, and then go on to Electric
Old 10-21-2002, 09:39 PM
edg

My rundown on electrics:

Joker: Best of class by far. Lot's of $$$$
Vario Silence: High quality. For the $$$$ might as well get a Joker.
Logo: Top notch. Pretty high $$$
Eco8: Light and will fly well. Parts are flimsy. Reasonable $$.
VoyagerE: Well built. CP and will fly well. Reasonable $$.
Corona: Fixed Pitch makes it limited. Reasonable $$. Really, the only heli built that can withstand a crash. Good intro heli.
Hornet: You should have a high threshold of pain to fly this. High $$$ for what you get.
Piccolo: Ditto for Hornet. Hornet flies better.

If you plan on crashing a lot get the Corona. If you practice a lot on a Sim 1st, the VoyagerE should be a good bet.

-edg-
Old 10-21-2002, 11:07 PM
me2cyclops

piccolo works great for me
easy to repair ,cheap
and the first aircraft I've ever flown outside the computer
Old 10-21-2002, 11:19 PM
trey3670

cool but doesnt that require the picco board n stuff?
Old 10-21-2002, 11:36 PM
me2cyclops

still comes out cheaper than any other
I fly mine with a gws tx that costs $40
$20 naro servos
get the "fun" pic $89
plus$79 for the board

watch ebay
Old 10-22-2002, 02:22 PM
edg

Since the Piccolo works well for you, you must have a high theshold for pain :-)

Seriously, I just can't recommend the micro's for anyone learning to fly. They're little whirling dervishes. On the other hand, if you like fiddlling as much if not more than flying, and think having a teeny-tiny little helicopter is the coolest thing sinced sliced bread, by all means buy one.

When I realized that with all the $$ I was sinking into my hornet and piccolo I could have bought 2 JetCopter SX's I sold them...
:-)
-edg-
Old 10-25-2002, 10:51 PM
e-sailpilot86

I would advise against the ECO 8, it ended up being kind of a poor display of electric helecopter potential, it needs a lot of work/mods to be a "good" helecopter for the beginning pilots. After the mods, it's certainly a fine helecopter! The Corona is an excellent choice and great design, hands down. It flies extremely stable, unlike the somewhat jittery LMH glow model, it is a wonderful heli. There is nothing bad about the Corona compared to a glow, you'd have a blast not needing to do "slimer" things .

Some advise for if you buy it, junk the provided electro fusion, and buy a Kyosho Atomic force for the heli. On 2400mAh cells, it can fly for 8-15 minutes with the type of flying style best suited for a beginer heli pilot. By Dec and early next year, FMA direct will have a new Lithium Polymer battery available that WILL work well for that model. It's capacity will be about 7500 mAh and hopes are it will take 30-45 amps peak, Corona takes about 11-15 amps in casual flight. Yeah, that's about 45 minutes of flying, charge before you fly, and have a ball. You'll fly long enough on one charge that you'll fill your quota of flying. Less noise so you can fly it near your house, no slime, you'd like it!

I'll try to pull up some videos so you can see how it does...
Old 10-25-2002, 11:00 PM
e-sailpilot86

Quick click to .wmv video: http://users.one.se/tomafran/ezfly/V...houseAudio.wmv

http://users.one.se/tomafran/ezfly/start.htm

That's the webpage with more of the video's, it's in German so use alta vista if you really need to read it. Looks good huh?
Old 10-26-2002, 01:30 AM
steph280
My Feedback: (5)

If you have never flown any type of RC heli before, I would recommend investing in a flight simulator. When you are comfortable with hovering, then go with a Corona. It's durable and cheap to fix.

If you have flown heli before, then definitely go with a Logo 10 or 20. These are easier to fly and more stable than Corona, but expensive to repair. Voyager is a good alternative if parts availability is of concern. But all three of these helis would need brushless motor for any type of acceptable performance.

I am currently flying Logo 10, 20, and a Voyager E. The Logos are great aerobatic ships, while I fly the Voyager at smaller fields during lunch or after work when I dont feel like driving to large field.

Stephen
Old 11-03-2002, 11:20 PM
staggerwing10
My Feedback: (1)

i"ve found that the ceapest way to buy a picollo is to buy the piccoboard without receiver from hobbylobby then buy a $20 gws redeiver and microbe servos from hobby looby as well as the heli form them for 89
cheers
staggerwing
Old 11-06-2002, 02:07 AM
E-gpeden

IMHO, the LOGO 10 reperesents the best design/performance/dollar value of them all, especially for newbies to electrics. It can be configured as a tame flier at first, then be given a hotter setup for 3-D style flight. One great route to follow is to get the Corona first and fly the he%% out of it and gradually work into the LOGO 10,trying the new stuff on the Corona first.
Old 11-11-2002, 03:31 AM
nmtr13
My Feedback: (6)

Default corona with collective?

Is there any way to make the Corona CP? I want to get one but I think I will get bored after a while with fixed pitch...
Old 12-06-2002, 11:20 PM
SeismicCWave

I second or third the motion of NOT getting an ECO 8 as a beginner heli. I have one for six years. I have just about every imaginable upgrade on it. It is costing way more than any glow powered heli I have owned. I can't sell it because no one will ever pay that much money for an electric heli. You have to have CCPM mixing for it to fly and six years ago CCPM was only starting to become popular. The mechinical mix is just useless. The ball links are poor. The frame is fragile. Highly not recommended.
Old 12-17-2002, 06:26 PM
lewis adam
My Feedback: (7)

Default What Heli?

I started with an ECO 8 and had terrific success in a relatively short time. With upgrades they are stable, mid-sized and with good motors and batteries get good duration - easlily 5-6 minutes.
Also it is a proven design and the prices for parts has come way down since it was first introduced. If possible buy a ready to fly model. It will make it much easier. Also a good computer radio such as RD 6000 or equivilant. The radio is as important as the machine itself. I have a good one listed on RC Universe 12/17/02. Good luck,
lewisadam
Old 12-19-2002, 05:08 PM
patternfly

Default Lite Machines Corona !!!

I have started with Lite Machines nitro Powered 110, then moved to 30 size nexus, then caliber and finally (awesome) Raptor family, I have recently converted my LMH to electric, and I have more fun with this thing than any other heli that I
ve flown before, trust me fixed pitch won't get boring, It will do rolls, flips, tails slides, and many other fun maneuvers, only thing I can't do with it is fly inverted, well once - Into ground However, I've heard roomers on CP system may be available soon from LMH

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.