Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Spray gun?...

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Spray gun?...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2002, 11:00 AM
justrfb
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spray gun?...

All,
I was sitting here thinking about how I am going to paint my P51B (yesterday, I tried to latch on to a post about paint and asked what spray paint cans I could use to finish my warbird, my question got buried...) and it occurred to me. :idea: Wagner has a sprayer that does small and inside jobs right? They must... I haven't looked yet but... I LOVE to build! Part of my personal challenge in building is to use as little money as possible (resourceful) with the best results imaginable. I am a happily married husband and father of three young children so to go spend money on a personal hobby is silly in my eyes. I am very frugal with myself and very generous to my family and others. I digress... Does anyone use any Wagner power painter (or alike) to finish their beloved master pieces? Thank you for your time and concern.

Justrfb
Old 10-02-2002, 12:29 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Painting

I am as frugal as you are and I have wrestled with this problem for years. Here is some advice:

First of all paint is a problem. About the only color paint available is butyrate Dope, and that usually has to be mail ordered. Dope is also somewhat expensive at $4.00 for 4 oz. And it takes at least 5 coats to cover, especailly the lighter colors. A 4 oz jar will paint a small model .15 to .25 size. Dope is also not glossy unless you really put some effort into it.

Some guys are using Latex paint but I don't think it is GLOW fuel proof. Some colors and formulations of Rustoleum are fuel proof but be careful!

Personally I use Dope and most often Hobbypoxy. Hobbypoxy or Superpoxy is hard to find but well worth the effort. It hasn't been made in several years. Just a little goes a very long way!!! And it is very glossy. To paint one coat of paint on a .40 sized ship (and it usually only takes 1 coat) you would use about 1 oz of paint mixed with 1 oz of hardener and 1 oz of thinner. 8 oz in a can by the way!

I use a Pashe airbrush and a small automotive "detail" type gun with a compressor I bought new for $100.00 from harbor freight. I have to use 2 different water separators to get all of the water out of the air which is also a big problem.

I think the Wagner is designed to shoot housepaint (Latex) so you may find it difficult to fashion a water separator. Also Latex is much thicker. The Wagner may be designed for much thicker paint. Normally I thin to a water or milk like consistency.

I cover with silkspan, Sig Koveral and nitrate dope all very cheap!

So sell all of the monokote forget the wrinkles and sags and join the ranks of the few who paint!

Let us know how it all works!
Old 10-02-2002, 02:28 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Spray gun?...

I actually have 5 sprayers, but onlt 2 are used for spraying my models
The Airbrush and the Touch up gun
You can use a air brush to paint any size plane, it just takes longer, I use the air brush mostly for Camo and detail work, where small amount of paint are required,
For larger single color areas I use the Touch up sprayer.
The touch up cup hold about 10oz of paint

You can get a airbrush for around $30-$40
and a Touch up Gun for about the same
All you'll need is a compressor

BTW they have at harbor freight

That wagner gun you mention is junk even for just painting your house
Old 10-02-2002, 04:24 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Spray gun?...

I'm not frugal... I'm a damn cheapskate! But I would stay away from the wagner. That thing is designed to spit a ton of paint. Check your local Auto parts store, many times they can create any color you want in a spray can.
Old 10-02-2002, 04:38 PM
justrfb

Default You guys...

You guys are great! You are just the kind of "safety net" and protection from myself that I need to operate with this affliction. Really, thanks for the advice...

I have been looking on Harbor Freight and I think I could set myself up for about $130.00 - $140.00. I could get a compressor and a detail gun and... Off in a new direction, thanks to you.

Justrfb
Old 10-02-2002, 04:55 PM
049flyer

Default spray gun

Hey guys:

You migh want to check out grizzley or grizzly .com. Lots of cool tools and compressors to! kind of like harbor freight but more stuff and mail order!
Old 10-02-2002, 05:39 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Default Spray gun?...

You're probably looking at $200 easily by the time it's all said and done. Well worth it, though IMHO.

I just did a quick browse through Harborfreight. This one looks pretty good and is on sale.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46719

I have several detail guns for automotive refinishing. You can't beat Binks and DeVilbiss. Sharpe is pretty good too. However, they are very expensive. I would look into getting gravity feed guns. All mine are currently suction feed, but any more guns from now on I buy will be gravity feed.

Don't get the super cheap touch up guns like this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...?itemnumber=86

I have one, but it's only good for rough primer work.

If you really want a good inexpensive suction feed, take a look at this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45307

It looks like a fairly good copy of the famous deVilbiss detail gun. I have a Sharpe version of this and it is one of my favorite detail guns - light and accurate finger trigger action.

BTW, get as big an aircompressor as you can afford. At least a 2hp. You'll soon want to do more than just spraying model paint once you have a compressor in the garage.
Old 10-03-2002, 11:48 AM
csandt051196
My Feedback: (35)

Default Paint

I too have been thinking about this. I have a 2hp compressor for my finish nail guns. How can this compressor be used with a paint gun? I would assume the hose that would connect to the gun would not be the same size as the one that connects to a nail gun.

Thanks
Scott
Old 10-03-2002, 12:26 PM
scale only 4 me

Default Re: Paint

Originally posted by csandt051196
I too have been thinking about this. I have a 2hp compressor for my finish nail guns. How can this compressor be used with a paint gun? I would assume the hose that would connect to the gun would not be the same size as the one that connects to a nail gun.

Thanks
Scott

The small compressor would be fine for an airbrush and probably the detail gun
you need to match the "CFM" of the gun to the capability of the compressor. if you gun requires to many CFM's it will never stop running and presure will fall off.

GL
Old 10-03-2002, 12:59 PM
049flyer

Default Compressor

I have a 2 hp compressor with a 4 gallon tank and it works great with either the airbush (Pasche) or the harbor freight detail gun. On the detail gun you can adjust the amount of air and the amount of fluid flowing through the gun. Painting models I doubt you would ever have it dialed in to anywhere near full blast. A 2 HP rig should work great.

However as I mentioned before: Removing the water from the air is a top priority, better think about how you are going to do that. Kind of depends on where you live also. I have 2 water separators, one at the tank and a small one at the gun. Seems to work ok. I spray Dope and Hobbypoxy. You may also need a pressure regulator. You will spray at about 30 lbs.

The other problem is paint. Not much available anymore for spraying that is glow proof. If you fly gassers you can spray anything on it, even latex house paint! Better research that before you start puttin out the $$$.
Old 10-03-2002, 01:43 PM
justrfb

Default So now what...

2fast and All,
Thanks so much for the info. I really do appreciate this thread. Now with the last post from 2fast saying there really is not much out there to spray that is glow fuel proof, I say again, I need glow fuel proof on my warbird, how do I paint it please?

Justrfb
Old 10-03-2002, 05:12 PM
049flyer

Default Paint

Okay Paint; Kind of like a new thread.

I have reseached this subject some and here it is:

Available options for glow:

Butyrate Dope
Non glow proof paint with fuel proof topcoat
Automotive paints
Old Hobbypoxy, Superpoxy, Ultrapoxy etc.
New water based fuel proof enamel

I have used Butyrate dope and it's characteristics are:

Good News -
Easy to work with
Relatively safe to handle
Easy to find
Lots of colors
Fuel proof

Bad News-
Takes many coats to cover
Satin finish, not real glossy without alot of work
Easy repairs
Expensive but you can buy in small quantities

Automotive Paints - I haven't personally used these

Good news-
Easy to find
LOTS of Colors
Nice glossy finish
May be more benefits but I'm not to sure
Very resistant to fuels and chemicals

Bad News-

Very Very toxic, contains cyanide
Expensive- you have to buy a quart at a time
That's enough right there to keep me away!

Hobbypoxy and similar epoxy paints- My favorite

Good News-
Very fuel proof - to 40% Nitro
Nice Glossy finish or flat or satin
Pretty inexpensive because they cover well but ea can can be expensive
Somewhat easy to work with but not as easy as dope
Relatively safe to work with -
Clear epoxy paint makes a good topcoat for non glow proof paints

Bad News-
Difficult to find, they don't make it anymore
Difficult to find certain colors and finishes (flat gloss satin)
Must mix catalyst and paint

About the water based stuff; I don't know, I haven't tried it. Kind of expensive but you don't need thinner. Nelson hobby products carries it. Maybe some other guys can fill in the blanks on this.

There are some threads concerning Latex paint and also rustoleum etc. Personally I like to keep it simple with fuel proof paint from the beginning, except for the filler/sealer.

Finally K&B Ultrapoxy is still available while supplies last, direct from K&B. You could stock up and have enough for a long time to come. Or you could stock up on clear and use anything you want underneath.

Check you local hobby shop. I have been buying up remaining stocks of Hobbypoxy for as little as $1.50 per can!

I enjoy a painted aircraft because it's different and I don't have to constantly iron down wrinkles and sags like everyone does with monokote. A painted finish lasts a very long time. With paint you have to work getting the finish on and then no maintenance. With Iron Ons, no work to get them on but plenty of maintenance. Take your pick!
Old 10-03-2002, 05:24 PM
Tachone

Default Spray gun?...

I've got the same problem and have been thinking a lot, doing a lot of reading, etc. and have come up with the following. I have not tried it yet so if someone knows better would appreciate the heads up, here goes,

Currently building a Spitfire and using fiberglass over the sheeting and coverite over the open areas. I have fiber glassed and am now in the process of sanding in preparation for the painting. I am using a Bondo glazing product to fill in what little weave is left, other scratches, inperfections, etc.

I plan on painting with Latex directly on the fiberglass/Bondo finish. According to what I've read adhesion should not be a problem. After that I intend to put on the decals etc. and cover the entire area with a finishing product from NelsonHobbies that is supposed to be compatible with water based paints and yet still resistent to the effects of glo-fuel.

Is this a workable solution? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-03-2002, 05:33 PM
banktoturn

Default Spray gun?...

Minnflyer,

You mentioned that auto parts stores could mix colors in spray cans. What kinds of paint are available that way? Anything known to be fuel proof? I have been trying to find Krylon Epoxy Enamel in spray cans, and can't find it anywhere anymore. Any pointers to truly fuel proof spray paint would be appreciated.

Thanks,

banktoturn
Old 10-03-2002, 05:50 PM
scale only 4 me

Default my choice for smaller warbird projects

Dope,,,, is a good choice if you don't need a big quanity of paint and it sprays easily through the airbrush,
It is fuel proff up to about 15% nitro if you using 20%+ you'll want to add a clear coat, the higher nitro has a tendence to discolor the dope

Here's and example, Pacta dope over slortex fabric with 20th century clear for added fuel proof protection

this is a jemco Zero I did using the dope over fabric w/ gloss clear via airbrush

The only down side is,, You can't spary the dope over the clear coat if you need to do a repair

sorry about the funky picture
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	28704_3133.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	18088  
Old 10-03-2002, 09:53 PM
bolar-RCU

Default Airbrush

Anyone using the Aztek airbrush? Wondering how they stand up to the others like Badger and the rest.
Old 10-13-2002, 06:36 PM
turbines
My Feedback: (9)

Default Spray gun?...

I use a Badger 400 touch up gun. I think this is the best one out there! I had a Chinese model and it did ok for a little while but the performance tapered off after awhile. The Badger sprays like a dream. All one has to do to keep this gun working like new is to clean it throughly each time you use it. I use PPG Concept paints, this paint line is so easy to use one can hardly mess it up. I have had it color matched to moneykote with no problems. The only drawback is the price, it is expensive! You can get the paint at auto paint outlets. Radio South also sells it in small quaintities that match moneykote.
Another paint gun that I think is a winner is the small gun that Porter Cable makes, I think the model number is #53. Lowes sells this gun for less than 60 dollars. It has the top gravity cup. the workmanship looks top notch.
Old 10-13-2002, 09:04 PM
pdansalvish
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spray gun?...

Hi,

I'm going to try something new. I heard good reports about Nelson Hobbies Paints, they clean up and thin with water, can be brushed or sprayed. They aslo match military colors. As for the spray gun, I will use a Badger air brush. It will takes longer but clean-up is a snap.

Dave

http://www.nelsonhobby.com/
Old 10-13-2002, 11:53 PM
Bruce L Prater

Default Spray gun?...

Check with your local parts store, that sells automotive paints, there is a inline water filter that you throw away after you use it (you should get several paint jobs outof one filter) they come two to a pack at about $10. Good safty investment though. Water can srew up a good paint job.
Old 10-17-2002, 02:17 AM
Oldie

Default Spray gun?...

I don't have good luck finding Hobby Poxy or Superpoxy any more.
I have a Blue Angels airplane finished with Hobby Poxy, but I do not have any clear to spray over the decals. Does anyone know of a clear that will spray over the HobbyPoxey and decals? Will Nelson clear adhere to HobbyPoxey? Any info you may have will be appreciated.
Old 10-17-2002, 11:56 AM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Spray gun?...

I am surpised that no one has mentioned Cheveron Perfect Paint. Tons of color choices all of which are fuelproof. Many of the military camo colors come already premixed. Available in spray cans and in halfpint cans for those who use an air gun and compressor. It is great stuff but not cheap.

Go here:

http://www.perfectpaint.com/camouflage.html
Old 10-17-2002, 01:12 PM
banktoturn

Default Spray gun?...

Oldie,

I also have been disappointed with the difficulty of finding Hobby Poxy, and have been looking around for alternatives. I found a fishing tackle place that sells a few colors of two-part epoxy paint, including clear. Their web site is www.barlowstackle.com. I have ordered some, but haven't used it yet.

banktoturn
Old 10-17-2002, 02:34 PM
DMyer

Default Spray gun?...

""Hobbypoxy and similar epoxy paints- My favorite

Good News-
Very fuel proof - to 40% Nitro
Nice Glossy finish or flat or satin
Pretty inexpensive because they cover well but ea can can be expensive
Somewhat easy to work with but not as easy as dope
Relatively safe to work with -
Clear epoxy paint makes a good topcoat for non glow proof paints """

About that coment that a two part epoxy paint like the old K&B or HobbyPoxy is "Relatively safe to work with". These paints are very toxic. You must use a good chemical/organic respirator and skin protection for your hands. They are only slightly less toxic than some of the automotive paints. That said... I also prefer them. However... one type of paint that I haven't seen mentioned is the S****lite from F&M Enterprises. Comes in appropriate size cans, many authentic real aircraft colors... easy to use and repair.

(wow... that editor is tuff... no wonder S**** isn't mentioned!)

As for spray guns... I prefer a gravity feed HVLP.... once you use one... you can never go back to a non-HVLP. These guns are so clean you can paint in your good clothes almost. Any extra cost will be made up with the savings from less paint used... remember... the idea is to paint the plane... not the garage or your yard.
Old 10-17-2002, 10:36 PM
Oldie

Default Spray gun?...

Does anyone agree that Chevron Paints are good. Are they epoxy?

Hey, banktoturn, I tried the link to the tackle shop and it didn't get them . Is it correct?

Thanks for you help. It is appreciated. Also, thanks to the owner of this thread for letting me in.
Old 10-17-2002, 10:39 PM
Oldie

Default Spray gun?...

Has anyone tried the boat dealers for epoxy paint with any success? I heard the makers of Hobby Poxey (I believe it was Pacta) still make boat paint.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.