Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Cermark Pitts S2B

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 01:50 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cermark Pitts S2B

Howdy All:

I am unexpectedly the owner of a NIB Cermark Pitts S2B. Since this is such a pretty plane and won't require much work I am tempted to put it together and fly it rather than letting it sit around... However, I need an engine. I've read that some have put a G-26 in their Pitt's with reasonable results. I have a NIB Brison 2.4 that needs a home and I am wondering just how insane the idea putting it on the Pitts is... It weighs about the same as a G-26 RTF, but produces much more thrust with a 20X8 prop... I really don't want to buy another engine, especially a glow engine, unless I really have to... I've got my asbestos undies on so feel free to tell me how stupid this idea really is....[:@][:'(]

TIA!
Old 05-18-2005, 07:10 PM
cwhite
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cermark Pitts S2B

GalenB,
I just recently finished my Cermark pitts with a converted G26 from RCIgnitions. Wow!!!! This thing is awesome. Converting my G26 shaved about 10oz off the weight and it is spinning an APC 17x8 prop 8700 and I've only put about 5 tanks of gas through it. This thing flies like a rocket and up-lines are awesome. I can't imagine a better combo. To say that this combo is a "reasonable" combo is an understatement. Ralph at RCIgnitions does outstanding work and is a pleasure to do business with.
Chris
Old 05-18-2005, 11:45 PM
GoeKeli

CHris, what is your final AUW? Sounds like a neat idea Galen!

JOe
Old 05-19-2005, 12:02 AM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Chris try a mejz 18x6.
I have found that to give the best static thrust of all the props I have tried. Turning 9000+rpm and 17+lbs thrust,. That is what Ralph recommended to me. I should have listened from the start and not bought all those props to test, want to buy some apc's,bottomflight's, etc?
Old 05-19-2005, 12:40 PM
GalenB

Chris,

Please tell me more about the G-26 conversion from RCIgnitions... What is the weight of the engine? What is the final weight of the plane? Any mods to the airframe? etc... I now appear to have access to an RCS 1.8 and am wondering about that engine too...
Old 05-19-2005, 06:34 PM
cwhite

GalenB,
My AUW is 12.75lbs. I put the receiver battery as far back as I could and put the rudder and elevator servos in the back. I also put the receiver and throttle servo towards the the rear. I only had to add 3.5oz to the rear to make it balance. The engine came out to 3.5lbs. Ralph shaved a good deal of the fins off the head making it round along with the ignition mods. As soon as I can come up with $40 for the prop I'm going to try one of the mejz's. I'm sure it's better but I can't imagine wanting any more from this plane. I didn't really have to do anything big to the airframe. I added some hardwood dowels on one side, beefed up the back of the firewall and fiberglassed the firewall and that's about it. I place the ignition battery behind the firewall and moved the tank back towards the CG. Very easy to install.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:21 AM
GalenB

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the info. My Brison 2.4 weighs 47oz on my scale sans prop, spinner, battery and muffler. That seems pretty close to what your modified G-26 weighs... What is included in you quoted weight of 3.5 lbs? Was that with muffler and battery? Also -- did you mount your engine using the supplied cowl mounting position? My 2.4 needs a 1/2" spacer to fit the cowl as it's curently mounted... How does yours land at 12.75 lbs? I am wary of this short coupled beast! [X(]

I am thinking that if I move the throttle servo behind the CG, place the ignition and battery as far back as possible, mount the receiver behind the wing saddle, put the battery in the tail, use split elevator servos and another tail mounted servo for the rudder that I won't have to add any lead... I would also mount the fuel tank on the CG... Did you use the supplied fuel tank? 500 ml seems like enough fuel for a 40cc gasser...

O yeah -- what size servos? I am thinking that HS-5475HBs on everthing but the rudder would do. A HS-5645 would do for the rudder? Comments?
Old 05-21-2005, 10:39 PM
cwhite

I personally didn't weigh mine but I've read that Ralphs G26's come out at 3.5 pounds so I'm not sure what this includes. I know that other have said that he takes out about 10 ounces. I did mount mine with the supplied cowl mounting position. I added a piece of plywood then used the supplied angle piece as a guide. I used washers on one side and hardwood pieces on the other.

Mine lands great. Just keep the nose down and keep a little speed coming in and then chop the throttle and level it out. It loses speed pretty quick. The elevator is pretty sensitive so use some expo. It also handles great on takeoff. I'm not sure you need to add the extra servo on the elevator. I use HS645's on the rudder and elevator and HS425's on the ailerons. I also use a 6v battery to get a little more speed and torque. So far they have worked fine. I get about 15 minutes on the stock tank and that's at mostly full throttle.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:05 AM
tim60477

Hey guys, i just bought the s2b from cermark... I'm thinkin of the g-26 in it... i'd like to put in an optical isolator and a stup for battery pak redundancy... what servos from JR would fit the bill?

Tim
Old 05-29-2005, 07:46 AM
ImacPilot
My Feedback: (95)

Galen, Put the Brison in and don't look back.........I have the Cermark Pitts S2B and I'm putting in the G26 with 4 1in lightning holes in the mounting bracket...But getting back to the Brison 2.4
I also am flying a H9 Ultra Stick Lite with a Brison 2.4 when most people were using a G-26...I put in the 2.4 alot of folks said way too much engine...this is one of my VERY best birds...If I didn't already have the G-26 NIB on my bench...I would have put the Brison 2.4 in the Pitts, what a super engine....This won't be a mistake...The ONLY problem with using the Brison 2.4 in the Cermark Pitts...is and this is big.....is hiding that BEAUTIFUL engine under a cowl...at least on my USL it hangs out there for everyone to see

Galen go for it... a Pitts with the 2.4 will be a great match up....a 18x10 Menz S prop...and go for the ride of your life...and don't look back...and keep the bugs out of your teeth, Don't grin too much.........Prop
Old 05-29-2005, 11:33 AM
GalenB

Hey Prop,

Thanks for the encouragement! I had made up my mind to "Just Do It!" and see what happens. About the only thing different was I was going to use a 20x8 prop...
Old 06-25-2005, 03:25 PM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

What if I had a lightweight power house like a ZDZ 40? Do you think that would be enough for this plane?
Old 06-25-2005, 08:10 PM
GalenB

I am putting a Brison 2.4 (40cc) engine in mine so the ZDZ should be about the same -- and it should be more than enough!
Old 06-25-2005, 08:29 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry for the late post.. RCIGN1 converted g26- 2lbs 8oz with ignition, less prop and muffler. It will turn a mejz 18x6 at 9000+rpm and pull a static thrust of 17+ lbs. Not to bad for an old industrial engine.
Mine runs great and have only had to send it back to Ralph when I pancaked a plane and broke both blades of the mejz. Ralph said the crank wasn't all that bad but he straightened it anyway.

Try PMing Bird Dog, I believe he has this exact set-up also.

ORIGINAL: GalenB

Chris,

Please tell me more about the G-26 conversion from RCIgnitions... What is the weight of the engine? What is the final weight of the plane? Any mods to the airframe? etc... I now appear to have access to an RCS 1.8 and am wondering about that engine too...
Old 06-25-2005, 08:49 PM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

I want all out hovering performance with my plane. I achieved something close with my GP Christen Eagle but no cigar.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:53 AM
Flyer Freq

Hey Guy's!

I have been considering the Cermark Pitts for one of my winter projects. I wanted to match it up with the ROTO 25. It sounds like you all think this plane deserves more engine. Will the ROTO 25 allow this plane to hover? Is this a good hovering/torque rolling plane? Should I be looking at something else, if I want a bird capable of some 3D performance? If this bird does 3D at all, what can I expect?

Thanks, in advance, for the information!

Andy