Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

I got my new trailer to haul planes with!~!

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

I got my new trailer to haul planes with!~!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 03:00 AM
DESERT RATT
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got my new trailer to haul planes with!~!

I did the big one, I bought a trailer. With three of us flying, the EXPEDITION ran out of space.
I bought a "HAULMARK" 6'X13', "V" nose. RAMP rear door, and 32" side door. It has interior tie downs,two interior lights, load stabilizers in the rear, 3/8 interior plywood sheeting, roof top air vent,and 3/4 interior floor.

Now I need some input on building plane stations. I did a search and came up with one thread but it kind of got off on a tangent instead of staying on topic.
I want to use it for other things, So need ideas on making plane/wing racks removable.
I have already decided to use the space up front, (the "V") for shelves. The bottom to hold the spare and battery, the next shelve to hold fuel, a couple of small drawers, and I'll put melanine on the top to work on. I'm going to build small cabinets on the front top of "V" section, above the shelves/drawers. That's why I liked the "V" front. you can utilize it for storage, and it doesn't add any additional overall length to the trailer, and still leaves 6'X10' floor space.

One of my flying buddies is a RETIRED, cabinet maker, his user name here is "WESCO" He used to make truck campers (to you guys in CALIFORNIA, He manufactured them there under the "WESCO" name) and house cabinets. he's graciously offered his garage,his tools, and his expertise in helping with the construction. Now we need ideas.
We're going to TOC next week and he says we'll come up with some ideas there also, but you guys have lots of stuff in your heads, so I thought I'd pick your brains first.

DESERT RATT
Old 10-07-2002, 05:55 PM
DESERT RATT

OK so I was wrong!! You guys don't have a bunch of ideas in your heads.

DESERT RATT.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:58 PM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted some pics of the inside of my trailer a few months ago, do a search for it under my name. It might have been the thread you were talking about.

Vince
Old 10-07-2002, 08:56 PM
DESERT RATT

I remember seeing your response VINCE, You had the sharp looking floor.

I know what I want up in the "V" area. so I'm going to get materials tomorrow to get it started. And I think I've figured out on how I want my wing rack. Now It's just a matter of how I want to handle the fuselages. But however I decide I'm sure that somewhere down the road of time I'll figure how I could have done it differently.

Here's what I'm starting with.

THANKS VINCE!

DESERT RATT
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	29269_3993.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	18246  
Old 10-08-2002, 02:14 AM
Vince

Nice looking trailer, that V should cut way down on wind resistance.

Vince
Old 10-08-2002, 09:02 PM
bolar-RCU

Default Trailer

What about the trailer next to yours? Looks a lot bigger. I tried to do that, but my wife wouldn't let me use HER trailer .
Old 10-09-2002, 02:36 AM
DESERT RATT

BOLAR,

YEA,

I know what ya mean!! It's ok to spend $20.000 + on a horse trailer you can live in,(but only pull once a week most of the time) But you can sure catch it for spending $3500. on a trailer you pull almost everyday.....
I would love to buy a TOY trailer that is self contained, I can sleep in, out on the desert with the CODMEISTER, and wake up the next morning (NOT SMELLING LIKE HORSES ) and put the planes into the air..

All I have to do is get her interested in QUADS, or motorcycles.. I don't want her to get interested in R/C!! We've been married for 33 years, So needless to say I love her dearly, BUT I do need some time alone with myself and DESERT MOUSE. So R/C is mine,,,,all mine!!!!!

DESERT RATT
Old 10-09-2002, 02:42 AM
DESERT RATT

VINCE,

I hit HOME DEPOT today, started buying the goodies to IMPROVE the interior and SPECIALIZE it for R/C. I looked at BLACK&WHITE linoleum squares. Didn't buy them YET, But I didn't buy anything for the floor.

How does yours appear to be holding up? It sure seems it would be easy to clean. I would want to put it on the floor and the drop down T/G.
That combination could sure take me back to the 60's Where's the "blacklight"?
Old 10-09-2002, 10:06 AM
Vince

The tiles are holding up very well. I used the glue down type, they were about the cheapest I could find. I just sweep it out every few weeks, and if it gets too dirty I damp mop it, but don't let my wife see me doing it.

My buddy floored his trailer with the self adhesive tiles that have a gloss finish. His is holding up well also, and looks good.

No blacklight is planned, but mayby some Chevy, Crane cams's, Edebrock, Hedman header's stickers.

Vince
Old 10-09-2002, 03:36 PM
tinman
My Feedback: (13)

Default .

i have been kickin round getting a trailor also....but when i think about it...i was wondering if a person could buy one of those small stepvans that the mailman drives around...the ones i am talkin about..the front end looks like a wedge and its maybe 15/16 foot long. looks like about a 6foot height inside also. any1 know if the p.o. sells these used? would be nice to put a new motor in one and less trouble then a trailor i would think....jus hop in and go ...-tinman-
Old 10-09-2002, 11:48 PM
DESERT RATT

VINCE,

Sounds as if we may have a few things in common!

My tow vehicle, which is just about back on the road. Is a 1970 CHEVY C-10 SHORTSTEP.
It has theCRANE,HOLLEY,EDELBROCK,OFFY, in it... I'm just completing a 4" front,6" rear drop with conversion discs front. 350/350 turbo 4:10 rear ETC.ETC.

TOYS,TOYS,TOYS!!!!! My license plate is "BGBYTOY"

I think i'll put "RCFLYERS" on the trailer.

TINMAN,

I kicked the idea around of a totally seperate vehicle, like a MINI VAN. But then you've got insurance,engine maintainence,Vehicle upkeep ETC.ETC. & I can use the trailer for the QUADS, and DESERT MOUSES GO-KART. But it's still not a bad idea,Especially if you need a second vehicle.

DESERT RATT

DESERT RATT
Old 10-10-2002, 08:09 PM
Tapio

Go with a light coloured floor so if you drop something its easy to see. My shop floor is white and those little screws are so much easier to find. I'm about to convert my trailer also, love the idea about the flooring!
Old 10-10-2002, 09:50 PM
bolar-RCU

Default Trailer Bottom

I used the sticky carpet squares. Peel and stick, I was done in no-time .
Old 10-10-2002, 10:36 PM
Traxxas_Tech
My Feedback: (22)

I'm getting a trailer soon for my personal toybox, and I've decided on low pile "cheapo Home Depot" carpet for the floors, and MAYBE the walls. Dynamat aluminum faced insulation will go right up next to the ceiling to reduce the interior temperature by hopefully 20+ in the summer sun. An electric vent fan that I can turn on and off may also be installed.

I've never thought about the V front, I like that idea! If you dont mind me asking, what did you pay for your trailer, You have one almost exactly like one I'd be shopping for!

If we got really cool with it, I'd put in a couple flourescent lights, a Generator installed in a cooled, sound deadening box up front to run a TV, radio, small shop tools, and maybe even a small AC unit. Overkill yeah, but everything in this hobby has to be overkill!:spinnyeye
Old 10-10-2002, 11:59 PM
Unstable

i want a trailer for my stuff too, but on my budget i will have to go used

my parents want to by a shed but im worried about it being weatherproof, and i cant haul it around

oh well.. maybe when i win the lotto
Old 10-11-2002, 12:22 AM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

Default cooling your toy box!

You might look into a soler powered vent designed for campers. it is in a shroud so that unexpected showers wont dampen your gear. When the sun shines on the soler panel the fan moves the hot air out. I use two on my equipment trailer, One pulls and the other pushes, at opposite ends of the roof!

regards
Mark
Old 10-11-2002, 12:30 AM
Traxxas_Tech

Now thats slick!

Where might you find one of these jobbers?
Old 10-11-2002, 02:36 AM
DESERT RATT

HOWDY, "SWEET PLANE" Where the heck YA been??

I paid $3700. out the door. You can get them for less,depends on what you want. Mine has the "medium duty, ramp rear door"(option) you can get them with one single opening or dual opening rear for less. It also has the "side door" also a couple of hundred dollar option. It has "tie downs" for like motorcycles ETC. The "V NOSE" was I think A $300.00 option.

They start at about $2000.00 but after looking at most of the other brands of trailers that I found, the HAULMARK took it "HANDS DOWN" (in my opinion).

I think I've decide on indoor/outdoor carpet On the floor and maybe on the walls also. I bought 1/8 inch LUAN and R-19 insulation for the ceiling.

I think the "SOLAR VENT" is a heck of an idea. Especially here on the "HOT" desert. Probably a SOLAR battery charger for the 12 volt battery also. I've been looking at them through NORTHERN MACHINERY. Not too bad of a price.

DESERT RATT
Old 10-11-2002, 02:49 AM
Traxxas_Tech

Hey, You found me!
Sweet_plane is my screen name on RCteens, Your son Cody must have told you. I'm 17, but home schooled too, we have a few things in common. From what I hear, you guys are lucky, a field right at your house! Sheesh!

You like the carpet idea huh? I certainly like the solar vents!
Old 10-11-2002, 04:10 AM
DESERT RATT

DEAN,

CODY speaks of you often.

I looked at HOME DEPOT at carpet. While I was buying and pricing other stuff.They have a fairly good grade of "indoor/outdoor" for under $4.00 A SQUARE YARD. The warranty is pretty good on it too. It comes in a couple of different colors.

By the way, How do you have your H-9 EDGE set up?

I just got mine in the air, I'm running an MDS 148. It has almost unlimited vertical. I have it balanced at 4-3/4" But it seems a little squirelly, Kinda like it's "SEARCHING". I have all of the control surfaces set at precisely what they recommend. I'm thinking about moving the C/G forward just a little. I haven't put a incidence meter on it yet either.

CODY says to tell you hello.

DESERT RATT
Old 10-11-2002, 01:49 PM
Traxxas_Tech

Hey cody

I sold my Edge a ew months ago, in favor of a 33% Extra. I put JR 4131 Tail servos in mine, and one Hitec 945 pull pull with tiller arm on rudder. JR 4131s on ailerons.

What do you mean searching? Unless the CG is WAAAAY far back, you shouldnt have a problem. Can you say it always feels out of trim? (always having to adjust trim?) What servos are you using? Hitec 605s by chance? I can see how it would feel as if it were searching, Low quality, under torque servos can cause this. This plane has pretty good size surfaces, You need good precision servos. LMK what servos you are running, We'll go from there.

Coulter
Old 10-14-2002, 12:28 PM
F.Ciccarello
My Feedback: (60)

Default R/C trailer

DESERT RATT............

Nice trailer, I just wanted to mention one thing about building
storage in the nose of the trailer. You will be adding weight to the front of the trailer, so watch the tongue weight.