Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Starting my first gasser - need help

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Starting my first gasser - need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2002, 01:42 AM
dirtypool
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting my first gasser - need help

I have a McCulloch 28cc conversion with a CH ignition on it. I have never started the engine before and the person that I bought it from that did the conversion said that it ran. From the looks of the spark plug, it had run before but who knows.

Anyway, charged the battery pack, turned the engine over and got spark, installed spark plug, gassed up, primed, switched ign on, flipped a few - nothing. Primed some more, flipped some more, nothing. repeated - nothing. Not even a single pop.

I had the throttle between 0- 1/8 and no higher. Should I open the throttle more for starting? The carb does not have a choke.

Suggestions please.

Thanks.

Rob
Old 01-02-2002, 03:26 AM
Mr. Wildcat

Default Starting

Doesn't sound you are getting your engine primed. Not having a choke doesn't help either. It may take you 10 quick flicks to prime engine. You should be able to feel the squishiness of engine getting fuel to the cylinder and possibly see a drop or two coming out the carb. If possible, choke engine with finger while turning prop (with ignition off). If you had a manual choke, most people flip engine until it "bumps". They then take choke off and engine usually fires right up after that.

I have another way to get engine running quicker and it always works for me (even on glow engines especially today when we had our annual NEW Years fun fly outside with 15-20 degree temps). Buy some starter fluid and squirt some into the carb. Turn on ignition and flip engine over and it'll usually start within 2 flips. Much easier than throwing out your shoulder.
Old 01-02-2002, 01:44 PM
Taildrager-inactive
My Feedback: (11)

Default starting gas engines

No No on the starting fluid. A engine with good spark, the right amount of fuel and air in good tune will start very easily with out the starting fluid, even in 15to 20 degree conditions. A few drops of fuel down the carb should be enough to get the engine to fire.
Old 01-02-2002, 02:54 PM
flyboy1-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Default starting tips

first of all let me say u need at least a 1000 mah pack to fire that ignition it may start with less than that but after when the motor requires more spark on the high end if battery is not of sufficient mah the motor will break up and not run smoothly at all, secondly im with the guy who says no no to starting either !!! a few drops of fuel in the carb will do it
Old 01-02-2002, 03:43 PM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default Starting my first gasser - need help

No pop means not enough fuel to the carb because there is no choke. Open the throttle and squirt in some WD-40 with the skinny tube. A 2 second blast of WD-40. Close the throttle to idle and turn on the ignition. Put a glove on or use a chicken stick and flip it smartly through compression. If it has spark it will run.
Old 01-03-2002, 02:33 AM
dirtypool
My Feedback: (6)

Default starting

Thanks you guys. It is raining here tonight, but I hope to be able to try again tomorrow. I have a 1400 mah pack for the ignition.

I am using an 18x8 prop and I had to put larger wheels on the ultra Stick for prop clearance. Should I use a smaller prop with more pitch?

Thanks again.

Rob
Old 01-03-2002, 01:17 PM
Mr. Wildcat

Default Starting Fluid

Why not? Squirting a couple of drops into the carb is messy and will leave gas smell on your hands/clothes. Why mess with it? Starting fluid is very convenient and won't harm the engine one bit.