Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Scored my first turbine flight today

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Scored my first turbine flight today

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 07:00 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Scored my first turbine flight today

WOW.

Sincerely,

David
Old 05-29-2005, 07:56 PM
MAX EFFFORT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Scored my first turbine flight today

adrinaline still pumpin? congrats david.. just wait, it gets even better.. lets hear some details about the "cherry" moment.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:02 PM
BeanerECMO
My Feedback: (1)

Sierra Hotel!!!!
Old 05-29-2005, 08:28 PM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

David, details!

How did the maverick handle for you?
Old 05-29-2005, 08:32 PM
FalconWings

Got to go to the movies, I will report as soon as Im back. Seriously I need to take some kind of ansiolitic. Still pumping.
Old 05-29-2005, 08:49 PM
erbroens

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

LOL, Congrats! [sm=thumbup.gif]

Enrique
Old 05-30-2005, 12:55 AM
FalconWings

Well I feel more calm now. Actually everything went super smooth, I had a great coach at the sticks.

The model is a BVM Maverick Pro that "I am buying from Shok" (still owe you one payment). Got to the field and my coach was there waiting for me. Smoked 2 packs of Marlboro to settle down, then started the engine. Piece of cake, that Simjet starts on first try everytime, however me dumbass I had spent most of the day yesterday trying to get the engine started and kept getting a weird propane malfunction indication. I kept filling the tank but nothing. 2 hours later I realized that my friend Ronnie told me to hold the can upright and not inverted........[X(].............I was doing the opposoite and was therefore draining the tank al this time. Rookie me!

Anyway, my buddy lines up, we do a range check, then off ot goes. The mav took off straight and almost trimmed. Joey did a couple of passes and then offered me a ride, I swear I was going to say no, that was my plan. Then I said to hell with it I want to fly.Joey passed me the radio and asked me just to do normal turns, you know to get a hang. So I did a couple of passes but I couldnt resist, I did a very slow semi-low altitude roll. I was so pumped!!!!!

5 minutes or so, Joey did a downwind pass and the engine quit, he quickly turned around and greased it in the grass beacasue one main did not extend. Absolutely nothing happened to the model. Joey is a great pilot.

The model was not too fast. We flew close to full throttle most of the time, doing perhaps 120mph straight and level. It was quite comfortable for me, the down side is that the fuel doesn't last crap. I will need to set my TX timer at 3.5 minutes or so, or get a larger UAT.

Overall, the jet flies great. I don't feel intimidated by it one bit. When the engine quit, It glided amazinlgy good, like a low wing sport airplane, eventhough the engine quit at the worst time (low on downwind).

Thanks Joey Tamez from JT Hobby in Fort Worth for coaching me, and thanks Ronnie for twisting my arm to buy your jet.

Now I want a bigger jet
Old 05-30-2005, 06:39 AM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

Thats great news David.

I'm puzzled about the fuel burn though.

In austin, we flew 5.5 minutes and still had about 20oz's in one of the tanks.
You should be good for at least 7 minutes.
Very strange.