Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

VQ A26 Engine choice

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 10:37 PM
Netherwing
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VQ A26 Engine choice

Hello all. Below is an e-mail I sent to Twinman to get his thoughts. I have since received the A26 and have made my choice for engines for the plane. First, I'll be flying off of a grass field and I'll eventually be using 3-blade props. The engines I picked are OS 46 AX's. Finally, I opted for the Spring Air retracts. I received a reply to my questions stating that I should post here to get advise (they are swapped with questions). So...... any input out there??? Thanks in advance.

Later,

Mike

Hello George. I just ordered the VQ A-26 and was thinking about using OS 40SX's or Tower 46's. My question is will these engines be enough to spin a 3-blade prop for this plane? Also, I read your section on engine-out emergencies. Will a 3 bladed prop cause greater yaw than a 2-blade and just present more of a problem bringing the plane in for a landing? Thanks for any advise.

Later,

Mike

ps: One more thing ....... I'll be using Slimline Pitts mufflers......much lighter than the stock mufflers.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:03 PM
samparfitt
My Feedback: (43)

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: VQ A26 Engine choice

fyi,
see other threads on this (ie VQ a26 engine 2 -stroke, etc,)
Also, twinman's review on vqmodelaircraft web site plus rcwarbirds website.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:06 PM
twinman
My Feedback: (2)

Mike,
My apology about the answer to post here. I did answer you question, but I guess it was not posted.
The answer I sent in was

"Hi Mike,
The OS 40 is similar to the FX and good power. Would consider 15% fuel though. Use master's recommendations and there should be no problem. I am using Master 9x7's with good results on Magnum 32's. The three blade props are slightly less efficient than two blades and so the yaw would be slower in engine out, but try not to find out. Again, always do the vertical test, with a helper, before EVERY flight.
At the risk of getting on a soap box, try to get as much speed on the ground before lift off for safety.
You will like this set up.
Have fun and send pictures.
Twinman"

I am not sure what happened, but again, sorry for the confusion. I posted somewhere around here about my deliberately trying to fly the plane with one engine out. If I can find it in the old posts, will let you know........BUT DON'T TRY IT!! I'm nuts, but it's your plane!!!!
Found it http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_13...tm.htm#1337283
Old 06-03-2005, 11:59 PM
Netherwing
My Feedback: (7)

Thanks George and Samuel. I did search the forum more for post about the A26 and read quite a few. I did read the one about flying the plane with one engine......very brave.....a high pucker-factor for sure. The review I read about the 46 AX said that the engine liked running with a 11x6 2-blade the best. So, I'm going to try 10x7 3-blades. According to the note on the back of Master Airscrew's package, they say to decrease diameter by 1 and increase pitch by 1. To start though, the 11x6 2-blades will be on the plane. I will post some pictures eventually. My GP Stuka has priority right now....shouldn't take too much longer. In the mean time, I'm going to break in the 46's on the test stand. I assume the 15% is to have better idle. Hopefully the engine won't run too much hotter. I was tempted to paint the plane (bought the silver), but it will just add weight. Might try it some other time. Well, thanks again. Time to get busy building.

Later,

Mike