Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Fin Mounting

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Fin Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 08:17 PM
kerklein2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fin Mounting

I'm about to mount the fin on my 4*40 and i was wondering if anyone had a genius idea for supports or something for while the glue is drying. The last few I've mounted we're cumbersome and I don't really remember how I did it...I was thinking of some triangle stock...but then it'll get stuck to the stab most likely. Any ideas people? Thanks, Shaun.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:37 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Fin Mounting

It's pretty easy to mount the vertical fin. Use masking tape to hold the fin in place while the epoxy dries. Run tape from the fin down to the edges of both sides of the horizontal stabilizer. See the attached picture.

Hope this helps.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68754.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	280045  
Old 06-04-2005, 05:11 AM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a crash that had knocked the tail off I used 1/8†dowels to get the alignment correct and wood screws from the bottom for the clamping action. The dowels and screws allowed several trials to check alignment. The screws can be removed after the epoxy has set but not fully hardened.

Bill
Old 06-04-2005, 11:46 AM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used two 2" lengths of bamboo cut from a bamboo skewer to strengthen the joint. I embeded the skewers about 1 1/2" into the verticle stab, and 1/2" into the fuse. For the alignment while glueing, I used tape as RCKen shows.

Scott
Old 06-08-2005, 04:52 PM
N8theSk8

you can also take some stiff card board and a square, cut it into a 90 degree triangle, cut a semicircle out of the bottom and fold the side 90 degrees and the clam it to the fin and stab.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:23 AM
APIA

I have mounted numerous fins from the fleet of free crashed airplanes that I have acquired. I have been using toothpicks, using the same principal that woodworkers used to edge join boards (dowels). I start off using a cut off T pin inserted into the fin with about 1/8 exposed, get the lateral alignment correct press the fin on for hole location to the stab/fuse and drill holes (slightly smaller in diameter than the toothpick) in the fin and the stab/fuse. Insert the toothpicks with epoxy and epoxy the fin. I use masking tape as pictured in RCKens post, to maintain alignment. makes for a strong bond.
-Tom
Old 06-20-2005, 03:02 PM
bassfisher
My Feedback: (21)

I sometimes use a modified plastic carpenter's square (the small one that you can put in a tool belt). I've cut cut a half circle into the 90 degree corner. I think I paid $2.00 for one. The cut out will allow you to use on your planes for years. It will always insure that your horz. stab and vertical stab are 90 degress to each other.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:50 PM
scalebldr
My Feedback: (7)

i use a 30-60-90 triangle with a cut out at the 90 degree side to clear the prutruding fuselage.i use two together one on each side of the fine while the glue dries.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:48 AM
jaka

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi!
Just eyeballing and CA glue!

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60429.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	288758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33617.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	288759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18712.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	288760  
Old 06-27-2005, 10:08 AM
burndred

here is what i do , now im no expert but i find this works really well for me...

i mark out the centerline on the horizontal and drill 2 holes , one at the front one at the back , so that a peice of piano wire is a tight fit , the peice of wire is about an inch long , then i press and ca the wire into the holes on the horiz , mark the posistion on the centerline of the vertical and the right spacing just by laying it flat on one side of the horiz to mark the posistion , then drill holes in there ,,, next , put the epoxy on the horiz along the centerline , then .. put ca on the tips of the two wire peices sticking up. then quickly push the vertical down onto the wire. if you dont do it quick enough the ca sometimes sets before its snug home.. anyway , i find that the ca sets almost instantly and holds it rock solid , then you can just adjust it a bit after checking with a square and it will hold it rigid as anything until the epoxy dries