Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Turbine convertion for F-16 Y/A

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Turbine convertion for F-16 Y/A

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 06:20 PM
janjet16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbine convertion for F-16 Y/A

Hi everyone! I'm a new member and new into jets aswell.
I bought a F-16 Falcon from Y/A but because I spent many years in 2/4 stroke engines I wanted
something more powerful and realistiC than DF so I never bought the O.S 91 for it .
My question is can I convert my F-16 with a turbine WREN 54 MKIII 14LBS THRUST ? Will I need to do alot of modifications on the F-16 to put it to run and if it worthwhile do it?
Anyone could help me Please

Thanks
Old 06-11-2005, 06:41 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Turbine convertion for F-16 Y/A

I'm not sure what kind of reinforcements the airframe might need (Shaun, AKA YellowAircraft here on RCU, can probably answer that), but for the turbine conversion kit Tam has one.......

[link=http://www.tamjets.com/yelf16conkit.htm]Tam's conversion kit[/link]
Old 06-11-2005, 07:02 PM
janjet16

Hi Bob Thanks for the link and tip that help me alot at least I've got an idea what I have to look for lets see
if that would fit on WREN 54 TURBINE

Thanks again
Old 06-12-2005, 12:43 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

If you're talking about the new kit, there is no 'conversion', per se, necessary. You will need a pipe. Those are commercially available, but many people have been finding it very easy and price-effective to build their own. You could by kevlar tanks for it, but they are, in my opinion, not at all worth the price difference. You might save half an ounce of weight, but that's about it. They will not fare better in a crash than the plastic ones for that airplane. For the engine you're talking about, a bypass is completely unnecessary and would not be of any performance benefit at all. If you prefer a bypass, Gary Mueller makes suitable ones for this application.

As far as the airframe itself is concerned, the only mods necessary have to do with the nose gear area. You should install an inlet spike that extends from the cockpit area to the top of the nosegear bulkhead (I have a template if you need one), and that's about it. Otherwise, structurally, the airplane is good-to-go as is. Hope this helps.
Old 06-12-2005, 10:22 AM
Gordon_Dickens
My Feedback: (1)

Take a look at:

http://www.georgiajets.org/Library/T...low_f-16a.html

My son and I put 96 flights on this YA F-16 until we sold it last year. Fun airplane!

Good Luck,

Gordon
Old 06-12-2005, 12:05 PM
janjet16

Hi Shaun!

Thanks for replying , actually I received my F-16 not long time ago about 3 weeks ago I presume
should be the new version,I'm glad you mension that I need to give Y/A a call about that, I haven't started to build it yet I know I paid $1800.00 for everything including tail pipe for turbine in case if I would change my mind for turbine so Charles the person I spoke to he said all I would need were the inlets and the pipe and I would need to do a small modification on the engine mounts and the tanks he sent were about right .
Because It doesn't come with installation guide for turbine and this is my first time I'm building a jet a
complete different aircraft what I'm used to I'm swiming in Ocean.
I would apreciate if you could sent that Template of the inlet spike if It's not to much of a pain to ask,specially I haven't got no jet club near to me that makes the things more difficult . I would apreciate any help you could give me on this set up if you can.

Best Regards
Orlando(janjet16)
Old 06-12-2005, 12:11 PM
janjet16

Hi Gordon!

I apreciate the reply with that link you sent is very helpfull.
Thanks for your help and support.

Best Regards
Orlando