Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Fuel Tank Pressure?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Fuel Tank Pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 09:41 PM
kainisrj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Tank Pressure?

Hey all,

i have a little engine problem and wonder if anyone can help - I am running an ASP 91 in my Modeltech Dragonlady, turning a 14x8 prop - Now, I have the engine running quite well although after I fly for approx 12-15 min I land and try to re-fuel through the filling valve on the cowl - the tank seems to be solid with pressure - not letting me get and gas in there? Anyway - I think - bugger it I will go up again anyway - and then after I have it started again - I open the throttle down the runway and it gets to 1/2 open and then drops off big time - so the takeoff is aborted? Whats going on? I have tried blowing into the valve and it is solid with pressure - then the morning after it seem to be alright - as if the pressure has leaked out somewhere - I am running 20% Syntc Oil - which I dont see as problem?
I took out the tank and there was no debris in there, I took the Bisson Pitts Muffler off and there was no blockage in there - or the pressure pipe to the tank for that matter?[]
Whats going on? Any help would be appreciated.

RJ
Old 06-13-2005, 12:33 PM
Salty25
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Fuel Tank Pressure?

RJ, you may have a kink in your lines. At least that is what I would be looking for.

Good luck.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:51 PM
nocrashesyet

Check to make sure your filling valve lines arent backwards. I had one backwards once and it wouldnt let any fues enter the tank. With your engine not running I cant see how any pressure can be held in the tank. Your exhaust pressure line would easly release the pressure once the engine stops.

Old 06-13-2005, 01:11 PM
Stamper

I had the same thing happen with my Dragon Lady but I was using a Magnum 1.20 4 stroke. My problem was the filler valve. Try taking that off to see if that is the problem. Mine was leaking air and I had no reliable power. I now use a B&B filler valve through a 3rd line into the tank. I would bet my wifes life that is the problem
Old 06-13-2005, 04:51 PM
kainisrj

Stamper,

I have been thinking most the time that the filler valve is my problem, I am hoping to get the Dragonlady up for a spin tonight. I might leave the valve off and just hang the fuel lines outside the cowl, even if this isnt my problem I will at least be able to eliminate it as a factor. will keep you posted!

RJ
Old 06-13-2005, 09:05 PM
FenceMagnet
My Feedback: (2)

"I would bet my wifes life that is the problem "

what a moronic thing to say....

[:-]
Old 06-14-2005, 09:09 AM
Stamper

ORIGINAL: FenceMagnet

"I would bet my wifes life that is the problem "

what a moronic thing to say....

Glad to see the morality police at their finest. It was a joke loser.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:24 AM
Stamper

Definitely let me know how it goes. I am actually hanging my fuel lines out of the cowl attached to a fuel filter now, but I will start using the B&B filler valve with a 3rd line to the tank. I have this on other planes and it works so well you will wonder why you messed around with anything else. Good luck.

ORIGINAL: kainisrj

Stamper,

I have been thinking most the time that the filler valve is my problem, I am hoping to get the Dragonlady up for a spin tonight. I might leave the valve off and just hang the fuel lines outside the cowl, even if this isnt my problem I will at least be able to eliminate it as a factor. will keep you posted!

RJ
Old 06-14-2005, 01:58 PM
FenceMagnet
My Feedback: (2)

speaking as one who has tragically lost his wife, trust me - it's the kind of thing you never want to be saying, let alone joke about.... how would she feel if she happened to read that ???

Old 06-14-2005, 02:02 PM
Stamper

Like I said, its was a joke, please disregard. And I'm sorry to hear about your wife. Thats tough.

ORIGINAL: FenceMagnet

speaking as one who has tragically lost his wife, trust me - it's the kind of thing you never want to be saying, let alone joke about.... how would she feel if she happened to read that ???

Old 06-15-2005, 04:49 PM
kainisrj

o.k Stamper,

I had taken the fuel filler vavle off - joined the fuel lines and went flying last night! All go!! No pressure build up in the tank, re-fueled with no drama's, I think the A.S.P might need some re-tuning as the lack of fuel before has somewhat effected the top and bottom end mixtures. I am thinking about heading out again this morn, I think my workload will allow - to bad if it doesnt!

Thanks for all the help!

RJ

Heres some photos of my Dragonlady - just to prove to all that it flies!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91996.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	285529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32323.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	285530  
Old 06-16-2005, 02:11 PM
Stamper

[8D] I'm glad it all worked out. Now go fly. Remember, I have never seen a tombtone that said "I wish I spent more time at work". I have to say that this is one of my favorite planes.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:27 PM
Ernie Misner

Anyone have a link to the B&B fueler valve? I would like to see it. Which valve was troublesome, what it the Great Planes?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 06-16-2005, 09:57 PM
kainisrj

Stamper,

Turns out the workload did allow me to go out!! Flying was great, plenty of Aerobatics - def makes the day go better! The filler valve I was using is a Robart Super Fueler (I think thats what its called), now lets get one thing straight - I am def not slagging this product off - its a great product and I am going to replace it with a new one! Very handy thing to have on the plane and looks good to - its the streamlined one (will try to find photo). As for the Modeltech Dragonlady - whats to say? I honestly tell everyone about this plane - its unreal, its one of those planes you just want to fly, a real 'no pressure' plane that does all the tricks, mine honestly gets better everytime I fly it!! If you dont own one - GO AND BUY ONE NOW!!!!![sm=tongue.gif]

RJ
Old 06-17-2005, 08:10 PM
Salty25

I can't believe a plane this size has one servo for the ailerons.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:45 AM
kainisrj

Sure does,two would be easy to install, I just run Hitec HS-475HB throughout the whole plane, + a smaller standard Torque servo for throttle! I am running on 6V so there is plenty of torque there! Went flying again today, plenty of people out watching!!

RJ
Old 06-20-2005, 01:12 PM
Salty25

Glad you got it all figured out and are enjoying the plane. I thought about this one when it came back out a couple of years ago. I didn't like the idea of the one servo so I passed on it. I'm looking for an all out fun plane to burn holes in the sky but think I'll go with the Kwik Fly.

Don't try to show off just because a lot of people are watching you, don't want to lose it now.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Ernie Misner

Is the Kwik Fly an arf or a kit? I'd like to see one....

Thanks!

Ernie
Old 06-23-2005, 07:24 PM
Salty25

Ernie,

The Kwik Fly is sold by Hobby People. It's an ARF that calls for a 60-90 size engine, with 5-6 servos; depending on if you want to use the built in flap or not.

Here is a link to a page on the plane: http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/125822.asp