Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Help! Need 3w info . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 08:26 PM
PTS
My Feedback: (153)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Need 3w info . . .

Hello

I have a buddy whom is wanting to buy a 3W 200TS. The owner claims never ran but is old style ignition, blue cylinder heads and was updated with different prop shaft. What is the diffrenece between old style and new style? Motor is going in H9 46% Ultimate which is currently running a DA-150. We are DA fans but the plane needs more power...

Thanks,

Perry
Old 06-14-2005, 05:26 AM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Help! Need 3w info . . .

DA 200
Old 06-14-2005, 09:44 AM
epc
My Feedback: (33)

PTS :

I think the updtaes are related to the crankcase but to confirm that you can call Bobby Wilson @ Cactus and I'm sure he'll be glad to help you.

Don't pay attention to these people that post things that you have not asked.DA 200

epc.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:59 AM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

PTS -
The older style ignition has some problems with overheating and failures. I believe it was designed to work on 4.8V as well. If you were to buy it I would HIGHLY suggest getting it updated to the IIS igntion that is compatible with unregulated Li-Ion technology. if the engine is non-IIS it will need a new module, hall sensor and prop hub. If its an older IIS, then only the module will need replacement.

The newer 3W ignitions are every bit as good (if not better) than anything out there. A big plus is they will run with Li-Ion!!!

Usually when you hear people complaining about 3W engines, it is due to the bad ignition on the older engines.

If you can get a really "smokin" deal - like 50% off or something go with it. Ask Bobby at Cactus Aviation how much it would be to convert.. my guess is about $350 If you can get a great deal on the engine and pay to have it updated it would be worth it. I am not sure if I would run it with the old ignition though....

DP

Old 06-14-2005, 11:06 AM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

The owner claims never ran
If he isn't someone you know very well, I wouldn't trust him.
We are DA fans but the plane needs more power...
DA 200
Old 06-14-2005, 12:08 PM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

We already heard the DA comment. The 200 is not in production so that 'aint gonna do him much good.

The ZDZ 210 will spin circles around the DA200 anyway even when it is finally released.

DP
Old 06-14-2005, 12:26 PM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Short but sweet....

Old ignition 4.8V

New ignition 6v-8v. Also slightly different timing.

Bobby does suggest running more than 4.8V on the new igintion and does not want you to use a regulator at all!!!
The new one will still overheat, so raise it up and try to get airflow to it. Its about $250 for the new ignition box......but it's never a bad idea to send a used motor in to him to look at......He'll bench run it, replace seals if needed etc. Worth the $50 or so for piece of mind.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:38 PM
jsm77777
My Feedback: (4)

Unless you can buy it realitively cheaply, I would go with the newer 3W-200. Better ignition for sure, but I only had 1 ignition problem in 8 years now running 3W's, and that's with old and new ignition's. By the time you were to update it, and so on, it probably wouldn't be cost effective. You could leave it stock, and go with it. There are no DA-200's, and we have been waiting for years for them. It would be heavier than the 3W-200, since it's a 4 cylinder engine, basically 2 100's put together. Many more options with 3W's, and IMHO, a much better product, smooth, and more powerful than DA's. Scott