Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

ARF hardware any good

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.
View Poll Results: A poll
replace all my hardware
4.00%
replace most of my hardware
32.00%
replace half of the hardware
40.00%
replace non of the hardware
16.00%
replace little of the hardware
8.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

ARF hardware any good

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 02:21 PM
I3DFU
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARF hardware any good

Building a Yak right now with great quality but the hardware is bieng completly replaced with preferance stuff. Lets see how many of these kits have the good hardware or at least some of it. I know it would be nice to have a couple bucks off a kit if all I am going to do is use my own stuff. Anyway mabey a couple of kit makers out there will see it and mabey make the change. Post your kit if you want and the pros and cons.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:29 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ARF hardware any good

What about a "Replace some of the hardware" option that's in between half and none?
Old 06-14-2005, 02:32 PM
joeb102072

That would depend on what type of plane you are talking about my QQ yak 54 IMO Has top quality hardware in it. The only thing I changed was the pull pull system. There is such a variety of ARF's out there that its tuff to make that decision.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:13 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with Piper Chuck. I'll replace something that's really bad, but for the most part I use what they send.

On the other hand, there are some people who would replace everything even if it were good.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:51 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Yeah, I also agree with Chuck. A lot of it depends on who makes the ARF. Sig or Hangar 9 I will use the supplied hardware. Some of the older Hobby People/Shack stuff I would replace most of it.
I always round file the engine mount screws and use socket head standard sized screws.
Had to replace all the the cowl and engine nacel cover screws on my new Twinstar as they screwed up (no pun intended) and supplied machine screws.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:03 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just purchased a H9 'Accessory Kit' for their 33% ARF - 100% excellent, but I guess that doesn't count in this survey because it didn't come with the kit

Jerry
Old 06-15-2005, 03:07 AM
forestroke

agree - replace as necessary. which yak is it? some of the china yak's have terrible hardware. i have one 120 size that has hardware i'd put on a 40 size trainer. i'm changing nearly ALL the hardware, save the landing gear and wheels. on the other hand, my WM Rambler 30 used all stock gear and is flying fine. i think the larger the model, the more necessary to change hardware since the relative cost of components is lower. relative to the airframe, engine, radio etc... if you're looking at a 15 class plane, changing hardware hardly makes sense even if a few things looks on the cheap side.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:45 AM
joeb102072

Quique's Yak 54...... Has very good hardware for an ARF
Old 06-24-2005, 08:10 AM
I3DFU

I hear you fellas I have had ARFS from all these but tell you the truth mabey I am to picky. The Quique Yak (in question) is an awsome airplane but for $400 bills I think I will just order the airframe parts the next time. Its not 2-56 but definantly not 4-40 either and when I put $1000 plus in the air I don't need 99 cent piece doing me in, but this is the hobby right. The Cap X and the Hanger 9 stuff all had some really good hardware. The Sig stuff was alright but thats about when I started to switch stuff up. Right now the majority are replacing a lot of stuff, mabey knock off a hundred bucks from my ARF and give me an excuse to hang at my local hobby shop. No real reason for starting this thread except the frustration of getting this thing together, I wanted to see if I was the only one out ther in this deptment. The only thing I used stock was the gear and hinges.......
Old 06-24-2005, 09:32 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: nate1778
Its not 2-56 but definantly not 4-40 either ...
Metric (the worldwide standard, except for the US) perhaps?
Old 06-24-2005, 10:36 AM
I3DFU

When you are dealing with an aircraft that has an elevater flutter issue and the pushrods are 8 inches to 10 inches long. This is the longest stretch I have ever installed on one of the biggest elevaters I have ever installed. No brainer here Carbon Rods. I would expect a horse of a push rod here......... My Carbon rods are metric.