Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

twin engines angles

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 09:55 AM
heliweb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twin engines angles

Hi,

I am converting a single engine trainer "Canary" to a twin engine, this is a high wing aircraft for 40-46 2T engine. I have two OS 46 to use in this plane, I know is a lot of power but I want to fly this twin with just one engine. This plane is going to be my multi-engine trainer and I need a lot of practice because I am building a 4 meters twin gas turbine Airbus 320.

OK, my question is how much angles do I need on the engines, downthrust and side, please help
Old 06-15-2005, 10:06 AM
heliweb

Default RE: twin engines angles

This is my first RC Airbus 320, this one is electric powered, but the next one is going to be powered by gas turbines.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53738.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	285399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90801.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	285400   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13988.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	285401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19039.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	526.5 KB
ID:	285402  
Old 06-15-2005, 01:00 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

8 degrees out on both engines if you want to fly on 1 engine and not worry about rudder.

You lose 1% of forward thrust, but get 14% side thrust. I have tried lesser amounts and still seen the need for rudder. 4 degrees is definitely not enough.

Obviously, the spacing of the engines, the length of the fuselage and the size of the vertical tail all play into this equation. Right now I have 4 twins, 1 with engines straight ahead, 1 with 4-5 degrees and 2 with 7-8 degrees. I can tell the need for rudder on the first 2 when an engine quits.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:50 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

I would agree with Ed on this one. Unless you are building a scale model for contest where the deviation would down rate the score, use every available advantage to assure that you have single engine control.
If you can't have light wing loading, then off set thrust is the next best solution to safer single engine flight.
To those that think off set thrust looks funny, it is better than the appearence of the scattered pieces.
ORIGINAL: Ed_Moorman

8 degrees out on both engines if you want to fly on 1 engine and not worry about rudder.

You lose 1% of forward thrust, but get 14% side thrust. I have tried lesser amounts and still seen the need for rudder. 4 degrees is definitely not enough.

Obviously, the spacing of the engines, the length of the fuselage and the size of the vertical tail all play into this equation. Right now I have 4 twins, 1 with engines straight ahead, 1 with 4-5 degrees and 2 with 7-8 degrees. I can tell the need for rudder on the first 2 when an engine quits.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:30 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

GC:

ORIGINAL: Gremlin Castle
To those that think off set thrust looks funny, it is better than the appearance of the scattered pieces
I think the extreme (4+ degrees) looks funny. Or maybe ugly is the better word. Further, I have only one airplane with any out thrust, that's my little Tiggerkitty. It has 1 1/2 degrees out on the right engine only, the left is dead away.

Out thrust works, and works very well, as Ed Moorman has demonstrated to me more than one time.

However, in thirteen plus years of "Twinsanity" I have yet to crash a twin. Possibly because my left thumb is spring loaded to the idle position. Further, I might lose one the next time out.

Out thrust or not, it's your call.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:51 PM
Gremlin Castle
My Feedback: (14)

I fly zero zero on my F-82, Mosquito, and am setting up the Fiber Classics DC-3 the same way, but I do think that for a lot of people the out thrust is a good solution. After all we are flying models not people and the flying without rebuilding does add to the enjoyment.[8D]
ORIGINAL: William Robison

GC:

ORIGINAL: Gremlin Castle
To those that think off set thrust looks funny, it is better than the appearance of the scattered pieces
I think the extreme (4+ degrees) looks funny. Or maybe ugly is the better word. Further, I have only one airplane with any out thrust, that's my little Tiggerkitty. It has 1 1/2 degrees out on the right engine only, the left is dead away.

Out thrust works, and works very well, as Ed Moorman has demonstrated to me more than one time.

However, in thirteen plus years of "Twinsanity" I have yet to crash a twin. Possibly because my left thumb is spring loaded to the idle position. Further, I might lose one the next time out.

Out thrust or not, it's your call.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:59 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill & I are friends-we are in the same club. He is sort a "do it the manual way" person and I love gadgets and new technology and have this compulsion to fix things. Certainly, you can fly a twin with the engines at any angle you want and I have twins with the engines straight ahead.

What I have been doing for the past few years, and writing about in my R/C Report columns, is to experiment and test many things that might be of interest and help to the average flier. Out thrust on twins is one of those items. I read here occasionally about someone who has lost a plane after havng an engine failure and then couldn't handle the plane on one engine. This is a guy who may not buy another twin. I think I'd like to see more people flying twins, so why not let's make it easier for them. For a newcomer to twins who isn't really too sure of his skills, I think using out thrust may save him in a bad situation.

Old 06-20-2005, 04:16 PM
fumus

All of these A330s and A340s have 0 degrees. Due to their size (4 meters) they are easy to handle with some rudder input.
Pic comes from [link=http://rauch-airliner.com]rauch-airliner.com[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28369.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	287485