Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

starting saito 1.20

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2002, 03:10 AM
jetfreak
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting saito 1.20

Could some of you guys out there give some suggestions on how you start some of the bigger motors. I have notice when on compression stroke, primed, and glow plug attached it will try to spin pop back or spin clockwise on me.... any suggestion
Old 01-04-2002, 06:31 AM
Aerosplat
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hand starting a Saito

Try this:
With glow starter removed, prime the engine by pulling the prop through compression several times at about 1/3 throttle and your finger over the carb venturi. Get the crankcase and cylinder good and wet, but don't flood or hydrolock. On the last pull, stop the Prop at about 90 degrees past compression. Now, attach the glow starter and flip the prop BACKWARDS so it hits against compression. It should kick and start running in the correct direction. Once you get the hang of it this will be a very quick and easy process to start your Saito.
Of course the safest way to start is with an electric starter. The Saito 120 will need one of the heavy duty starters. Also a heavier composite prop like the APC's will be easier to spin than a lighweight wood prop.
Old 01-04-2002, 02:33 PM
Paul Grubich
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting saito 1.20

My B-17 has four Saito 150's and I had to learn a fast, safe way to start them.

Get a good heavy duty starter, do not prime or pull the props through, set idle low, put glow on, hit it with the starter untill it runs. The starter will spin the prop starting a fuel flow and the engine will start at idle. Safe, easy, no fingers missing.

I learned the hard way to never prime when using a starter with a big four cycle, let the starter do all the work. I primed it the first time I tried and hit it with the starter. The engine backfired but I was able to hold all the parts on by pushing hard on the starter untill they stopped spinning.

Paul