Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

mini funtana

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 11:29 AM
mikede

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mini funtana

I want to eliminate the gearbox on the mini funtana. What would a good match for this model in an out runner set up if possible? It now has an e-flight 400 brush-less motor with a 3 cell li-poly pack, and a 25 amp controller. The performance is nice and I set the mesh correctly but I cant seem to keep gears from stripping. Any advice will be a big help. Thanks...
Old 06-24-2005, 02:33 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: mini funtana

Have you made sure that the brake is OFF and the SOFT START is ON. THis will help reduce stress on the gears. I also have a Funtana and am using a GWS 400 gear box instead because it is somewhat more robust with a larger output shaft. I have cut the shaft down and use a 4mm prop adapter and APC props instead of those with the flimsy 3 mm diameter prop holes. THe diameter of the APC props is 3/16" I think. Ultimately I plan to go with a Brute CNC gearbox or Corbi which are all metal and far more robust. They still do use the GWS spur gear but I hear they last much longer in these gear boxes. I prefer to go with this rather than an out runner because no mods are required to the front end of the Funtana.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:14 PM
jmccomas

Go with AXI 2808/24 with a 10 x 4.7 E. Performance is awesome, motor is rated up to 52oz. They have stick mounts for these now, switching would be easy. No more gears!!
Old 06-25-2005, 08:40 PM
GWR
My Feedback: (31)

Do a search; it's all been covered before.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:28 PM
sb13
My Feedback: (52)

I'm building a mf and I'm using a PJS 3D 1200 outrunner motor. It puts out 42 ounces of thrust and there is a way to make your own mount if needed. Look up the mf plane in these forums and you will find an article on how to make this mount. I've used gear boxes on other planes and I done like them anymore after seeing what an outrunner can do. Do your reserch and you will find it can be done with just about any outrunner you choose to use. The important thing is to make sure you keep the built in right and down thrust the same as it is from the square mounting stick that comes with the plane. Also make sure that your motor output shaft stays in line with the center of the plane like from the rudder to the cowl and you'll be fine from my understanding. Good luck and enjoy your mf becouse it is a great plane from what I hear. I'll let you all know when mine is done but it will be a while becouse I'm building a workshop in the basement to keep the wife happy and all of my planes of the kitchen table! LOL.