Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

a little tight when you turn it over

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

a little tight when you turn it over

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 02:45 PM
trdexter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a little tight when you turn it over

A friend of mine gave me a plane that some one gave him who has been to old to fly. Any way the engine is a 2 stroke enya .81x and I think it has not ran
in while, it feels a little tight when you turn it over any ideas on what to do befor starting the engine.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:01 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: a little tight when you turn it over

I'm not familiar with the engine. But If I got an old engine which felt a little tight, I'd take the backplate off and look inside. If it didn't look too bad, just a little castor crud, I would wet it down good with Rislone (airtool oil, even 3 in 1, or Marvel Mystery Oil) and let it set for a day or so, then I would wash it out with fuel, put it on the bench and run it.

On the other hand, if it is full of rust, a lot of brown castor crud, or hard red crud from Marvel Mystery Oil, then I would take it all apart, clean it up and think about what to do next.

Jim
Old 07-07-2005, 07:44 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Fuel can get very gummy over the years. Try just squirting some new fuel in the carb and turning the engine by hand for a few minutes. It'll probably loosen right up
Old 07-07-2005, 12:51 PM
bbbair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never take apart an engine unless I have too. (too much work and you run the risk of fouling something up)

My solution to old gummy engines is to get a helper (two person job), remove the glow plug, fill the tank with clean fuel, open the throttle full, place a finger over the carburator air intake and spin the engine with an electric starter.

As the starter spins, fuel is forced through the entire system and comes gushing out of the glow plug hole (wear safety glasses). The initial spray will be a redish orange, as the gunk is washed out it will become clear. Once the spray is clear put the glow plug in and start the engine.

If this doesn't work; then consider taking the engine apart to look for rust etc.

Good luck!
Old 07-07-2005, 02:34 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bbbair

I never take apart an engine unless I have too. (too much work and you run the risk of fouling something up)
Total agreement!

My method for loosening up sticky engines is to pour a little rubbing alcohol in the carb and through the exhaust outlet. Spin it a bit and dump out the alcohol. Do this several times till the alcohol comes out fairly clean. Then lube it up really good with a light machine oil.