Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

High Gloss Yellow Latex Finish for 1/5 Cub

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

High Gloss Yellow Latex Finish for 1/5 Cub

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 09:07 PM
fred123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Gloss Yellow Latex Finish for 1/5 Cub

I am starting a Sig 1/5 scale cub and plan on using Koverall, nitrate dope to stick and fill the fabric and exterior latex for color. I would like to end with a high gloss yellow finish, clear coated for glow fuel. What gloss exterior paint should I use and what clear coat should I apply? Fred123[&:]
Old 07-11-2005, 06:49 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: High Gloss Yellow Latex Finish for 1/5 Cub

I would be very interesed in replys to this question as well. Also what about an alternative to the Nitrate Dope for sealing the wood, atatching the fabric and sealing the weave. For those that live in places where toxic fumes can be a problem the beuaty and toughnes of a fabric finish is not practicle. My wife has developed severe breathing problems and fumes are now out for me. I am thinking about sealing the framework with water based poly and using the fab tac (reduced to atatch the fabric) then weave filling with water based poly and final coats of color with latex. Rustoleum has a water based high gloss enamel as does Enterprise, Red Devel... I like the Enterprise brand myself, but have not tried it under the oil based polyurethane required to fuel proof the paint. The latex additive Floetrol can be used to thin the paint for easy brusing or spraying, but keep in mind this will dull the gloss of these high gloss paints. A high gloss clear top coat would solve this problem though and if you use a polyurethane oil based product it will fuel proof at the same time. If your plane is to be gas motor powered then the fuel proofing becomes less of an issue. For long term survival you will need to coat the areas most likely to be exposed to gas byproducts though. These are all great questions and very relevant in a changing society and one we as modlers must be more sensitive to all around us.

Lets hear more from others that have experimented with cover/sealing/painting. Also how about some pics of the cub project.

Thanks

JEB
Old 07-11-2005, 10:13 AM
fred123

BPS: I see that Sig makes a product called Stickit (SP?) that is painted on the structure and is heat activated when you iron down the fabric. One reason I chose dope to stick it down, is that I read that fuzzing on the edges when you cut it can be a problem that is solved then the dope is used. Edge cuts clean and is ironed down or stuck down with another coat of dope..Fred123
Old 07-11-2005, 12:44 PM
FenceMagnet
My Feedback: (2)

If using clearcoat, you DON'T need gloss paint.... flat or semi-gloss will be fine... AND give a better bonding surface for the clearcoat !

[:-]
Old 07-11-2005, 02:30 PM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Yes the heat activated application product sold by Sig sounds like a fine way to go. I have not used it, but some of the threads on this subject indicate it works very well. I used Stits fabric and glue to cover a experimental 7/8 scale Nieuport 11 a few years back. The fumes were horrible!

JEB
Old 07-11-2005, 04:11 PM
campbec

Hi Jeb,

The Stixit (spp??) from SIG is a joy to use with coverall or other cloth type coverings. However for your circumstances it may be a trifle aromatic. It smells similar to dope but not as strongly. I would try a small job first to make sure your wife, and you, survive the aroma.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 07-11-2005, 08:15 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is an attachment I did up on painting with latex.

Hope this is of some help.

Attached Files
File Type: txt
Fd93340.txt (2.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 07-13-2005, 08:43 AM
fred123

Campy: Do you agree with the post recommending flat or semi-gloss color with a high gloss clear to produce the best high gloss final finish? Fred123[&:]
Old 07-13-2005, 01:06 PM
rc-sport
My Feedback: (12)

Use Klass Kote, it goes on very easy and wears like iron. You can get it glossy if you need.