Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Elevator Control Rod Groove

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Elevator Control Rod Groove

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 01:50 PM
hookedonrc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Elevator Control Rod Groove

I am getting close to having to drill the holes and cut the groove for my elevator control rod on my Sig Hog Bipe. I have done a search looking for any tips on how to drill the hole and cut the groove without breaking through the balsa on either the top or bottom. On my Sometin Extra it was a little easier because the elevator was not done with angled stock. If anyone has a tip on how to do this process or if there is a thread that shows it I would appreciate any feedback you might have.

BTW: I have thought about buying the groove cutter tool, but not sure if it is worth it.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:12 PM
scalebldr
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Elevator Control Rod Groove

drill the correct sise hole in the center of your groove with a brad point or fostner drill bit by hand,with a sharp bit twisting through the balsa should be fairly easy easy.the just use a regular high speed bit or the brad boint bit at the angle you want like a file,it should shave the balsa nicely,you may have to twist abit while doing the shaving action.use caution as a very sharp bit can cut your fingers.process is not hard and should only take a few minutes.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:50 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I find it easier to cut the slot first. That way the bit is a little easier to start. I use a drill but I go slow and hold the balsa in my hand on either side of the hole. I can feel the wood flex if the bit tries to get off track. Maybe not the most precise way,but it works well for me.

David
Old 07-11-2005, 07:25 PM
campbec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I use a fine "rat tail file" in my cordless drill. Works for both hole and slot and doesnt tend to "run off" like a twist drill tends to do.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 07-11-2005, 08:03 PM
Campy
My Feedback: (1)

All you need is some brass tube of the proper diameter for the groove and a piece of music wire a little smaller than the ID of the tube and about 2" longer than the tube.

Sharpen the end of the tube with your dremel or on some sandpaper. Push AND TWIST the tube to make the groove. Make several shallow cuts rather than trying to do it all in one try.

As the brass tube fills up/clogs, use the music wire to clean the tube out. The brass tubes are also great for cutting holes in balsa (to provide exit holes for servo leads, etc. )
Old 07-11-2005, 09:02 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought some closeout woodworking tools from Quantum, including a nice handle with a set of "gouges". Two of the Gouges are great for grooves, and the small one is great for elevator joiner wires or wooden pushrods with grooves in the side for the wires.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 07-12-2005, 06:06 AM
Kaos Rulz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Campy has the right idea here. I always use the brass tubing for these grooves. They drill out very smooth.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:12 AM
hookedonrc

I think I am going to use campy's idea. I already use sharpened brass tubes for drilling holes in balsa sheeting and find it the best way to get a clean cut. I had considered doing the same for the groove, but wanted to see of there are other ways to make the groove. Looks like I need to go get me a brass tube the size of the groove. Thanks for the ideas everyone.