Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Revo or Savage

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 02:55 PM
jippy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revo or Savage

Being that this question is posted in the hpi forum more people are likely to say savage, but i want a new car and dont have alot of money or else id buy a lst. ive decided between a savage and a revo. any suggestions.
Old 07-21-2005, 03:24 PM
Crazy Canuck

Default RE: Revo or Savage

Hey,

All depends on what you are going to be doing with it.

Revo = Racing
Savage = Bashing

The Revo can be a basher but isn't anywhere close to the Savage's durability. The Savage can be a racer, and with some modifications will handle comparably to the Revo.

Cheers
Old 07-21-2005, 04:54 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Savage
Old 07-21-2005, 05:55 PM
racer man05

ya depends on what u mainly want to do. i have a savage ss and i bash mainly but i also go to my local track to race and have fun and it performs well on my track. but the revo has a better racing setup than the savage.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:12 PM
electrogoneglow

UUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMM..................SAVAGE!!!!
Old 07-22-2005, 07:37 AM
BBD
My Feedback: (2)

My intrest inb Revo was very short lived after seeing how they jump especially in these videos (http://www.rcreality.com/revo.htm)

Savage for me every single time a strong front and rear bumper high center of gravity long suspentions (THAT WORK).

And dont tell me TNX I wish I can upload my brother with his TNX and me with my Savage. its goes something like this.

Me: happy user jumping my savage
Bro: Throwing his radio at the TNX
Me: Still Driving my savage
Bro: picked up his TNX heading towards the cunstruction boards.
Me: Doing doughnuts in my Savage
Bro: Throwing his TNX on the cunstruction boards
Me: Still driving
Bro: Kicking his TNX

Moral of the story get a SAVAGE
Old 07-22-2005, 11:07 AM
miltmo

I have had both and while the REVO was a lot faster, the 2.5 traxxas motor did not hold a tune very well. Especially now that the days here in Atlanta are hot and humid. The Savage runs great every day and I haven't re-tuned it now for some time. I had no problems with the durability of either and if the REVO had the Savage motor, I probably would have kept it.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:37 AM
bgw_savage

ORIGINAL: BBD

My intrest inb Revo was very short lived after seeing how they jump especially in these videos (http://www.rcreality.com/revo.htm)

The way these guys treated those Revo's is disturbing. Why would you intentionally try to break your truck... air heads (this is the cleaned up insult). I don't think you can properly judge a truck based on driving like this.
Old 07-22-2005, 11:39 AM
bgw_savage

ORIGINAL: jippy

Being that this question is posted in the hpi forum more people are likely to say savage, but i want a new car and dont have alot of money or else id buy a lst. ive decided between a savage and a revo. any suggestions.

Jippy, I assume yoo are talking about the Savage 25 RTR. I thought the LST was expensive too. My SS4.6 kit, radio, etc... has cost equal to or more than the $600 LST.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:27 PM
BBD
My Feedback: (2)

bgw_savage

Is the 4.6 engine worth the upgrade to my S25 ?? I currently am modding it and do not know how long it would last for maybe a few more days of hard abuse looking into buying a spare engine that would fit directly without much of a hassel.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:45 PM
black mamba

If I was considering a "racing type" monster truck, I'd pick the Losi LST over the Revo without even thinking about it. Losi has a legendary racing heritage....Traxxas has none. The only thing Traxxas has on Losi is "fathering" the RTR segment of the hobby.

Old 07-22-2005, 12:47 PM
black mamba

bgw_savage

Is the 4.6 engine worth the upgrade to my S25 ?? I currently am modding it and do not know how long it would last for maybe a few more days of hard abuse looking into buying a spare engine that would fit directly without much of a hassel.
The engine in the S25 is pretty tough....so unless you have it running very, very lean, it will probably last as long as the truck itself. To answer your question though, yes the .28 is a worthwhile upgrade over the .25. More displacement is always a good thing in the heavy Savage. For the money though, you might want to also consider a Sirio or Collari.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:19 AM
bgw_savage

I cannot offer you qualified advice as I have not owned a Savage before the 4.6. I find the 4.6 to be very reliable and holds a good tune. I cannot imagine getting a replacement engine (assuming your is headed south) without getting more displacement. Like you said... the it will fit factor is a no brainer.

Good luck.

bgw_savage

Old 07-23-2005, 03:04 PM
176RRT

I vote for the Savage. my brother has a Revo and its a nice truck but I'll stick w/ my Savvy. You'll be happy w/ it.
Old 07-24-2005, 03:15 AM
black mamba

The TRX 2.5 is a powerful little engine, but like the others have said, it cannot hold a tune. The Traxxas guys where I bash spend more time screwing with the needles than driving. Revo is just a Tmaxx with a fancy suspension to me. Not too impressed.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:41 PM
rustler 1

you can make a savage better than a revo easly but you can make a revo better than a savage. porbably a 28-32 in a savage with a 3 speed and geared correctly youll smoke a revo and you problably dont even need that. i think all you need is a 3 speed on a stock motor and maybe a tuned pipe and your hooked. smoke ummm
i dunno peole i am just telling you what will probably going to happen ey?