Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Savage 4.6 Clutch thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 05:35 PM
chowderhead72
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Savage 4.6 Clutch thread

Please tell me your opinions on clutch choices. I am considering this [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5987772177&category=44 028&rd=1]$$$$$$[/link] What do you think? I have two Savages; one .25rtr and a 4.6ss. I currently have alluminum shoes in the 25 with robinson 14/52 gears and the 4.6 diffs and brakes. the 4.6 is still stock with upgrades [link=http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5986064121&rd=1&sspage name=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1]LINKY[/link]. Shold I just change the spur and pinion to the rr 18/48 and alluminum shoes and call it a day or do you have better a solution? My lhs has that same clutch for a staggering $90(ouch)
Please advise
Old 07-22-2005, 08:37 AM
gerwen

Default RE: Savage 4.6 Clutch thread

I've found the stock clutch on the 4.6 to be insufficient. I've worn out two and i've only got a gallon through it. It heats up and ends up melting my spur gear. I've put on bigger tires and this made the clutch problem worse (obviously).

I've just ordered a sliding clutch and flywheel setup. My lhs guy has been running one for a few gallons and it is only just starting to show wear. It's apparently much better than a 3 shoe aluminum clutch. I'll let you know when i get it.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:54 AM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

Gerwen the sliders are nice, but on 24.7 PROs and bigger engines I've seen them tear up... I've seen my SH eat one within the first quart... The "sides" of the alum. that hold the shoes spread a bit and then one way or another, that play allows the springs to come off and get wound/chewed up... Good luck, maybe you've run across a better setup than the one I got from Savage Central.
Old 07-22-2005, 10:13 AM
Buzzbait

The Werks clutch system requires an adjustable engine mount, such as the Nova engine mount. It might also require a longer clutch bell than stock.

I'm running Nova aluminum clutch shoes, 1mm Mugen springs, a Mugen pilot nut (required to run the Mugen springs), and a Robinson Racing 16T clutch bell on my Savage 4.6. I also ditched the crummy brass bushing on the clutch assembly, and installed a bearing in its place. My spur is a stock plastic 49T spur. I’ve had no more spur tooth meltdowns since moving to this configuration.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:39 PM
Frost_
My Feedback: (1)

I've heard the Werks sliders hold up much better than the older sliders, they are entirely different... I'd like some feedback on the Werks setup if anyone is running it.