Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Patching and covering with Ultracote

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Patching and covering with Ultracote

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 01:30 AM
elevator_up

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patching and covering with Ultracote

I had to fix a 1x2 inch square hole on my ARF with Ultracote. I cut a piece about 1/2 inch larger than hole all around and used low heat to apply. Anyways the patch looks bad with many bubbles and a few wrinkles. I used low heat to attach but even using high just doesn't seem to remove the bubbles or smooth it out. Any tips on how to fix this up ?? Can I remove it and start again, and if so any tips on how to start over? I'd also like to add a larger pattern piece to the bottom of the wing to assist with flight orientation. Will I have similar problems ? Appreciate all your thoughts, thanks.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:38 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it's Ultracote, just reheat it and pull it off and start again. Since it is such a small repair, just place the patch over the hole, tack down one side, then starting from that side, just run the iron along the rest of the patch. That should take care of any bubbles.

As far as adding a pattern piece, yes you will have the same problem, but there's a way to minimize it. Lay the piece out on the wing, and trace around it. Staying about 1/2" inside you lines, poke LOTS of holes in the existing piece. You may even want to do this with a #11 razor blade as opposed to a pin, to give you better breather holes. Then put on the new piece, tack down the corners, and make a few tacks along the edges, but don't seal the edges completely so air can escape. Then work from the middle out to iron it down.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-19-2002, 02:22 AM
TerrellFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

reheat the ultracoat and pull at the same time,usually can be lifted,also just cut the patch off ,then patch the larger hole,some of the arf covering is hard to cover over with monocoat or ultracote,might try patching with some of the sticky back trim as a last resort.lol.
Have a goodun,John.