Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

who is the youngest HELICOPTER flyer?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

who is the youngest HELICOPTER flyer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 02:18 AM
corey19981

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who is the youngest HELICOPTER flyer?

hey! I've got an eco piccolo and I started when I was eight years old. I am now eleven. just wondering whether there is anyone that has succsesfully flown a helicopter below the age of eight? see a video of me flying by viewing the video on this page:
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/coreysvideos/

also check out my main website by going here
http://www.coreyjsmith.co.uk
Old 07-27-2005, 05:33 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: who is the youngest HELICOPTER flyer?

My Grandnephew flew this at 20 months. Not quite the same, but we loved it!

Other images (just posting links to save the bandwidth for those who don't want to see)
http://www.vinceherman.net/Heli/DSCF0075.JPG
http://www.vinceherman.net/Heli/DSCF0077.JPG
http://www.vinceherman.net/Heli/DSCF0078.JPG
http://www.vinceherman.net/Heli/DSCF0079.JPG
http://www.vinceherman.net/Heli/DSCF0080.JPG
http://www.vinceherman.net/Heli/DSCF0088.JPG
Old 07-27-2005, 05:41 AM
VinceHerman

Oh, awesome video by the way. You were flying better after one afternoon that I was after several months.
You are SO ready to move up to something like a T-Rex.
Old 07-27-2005, 05:48 AM
corey19981

you think? they're petrol aren't they? or are they med sized? hmm...

my mum doesn't want me to have a petrol heli because she reckons it's too dangerous. the thing is, according to reviews, the t-rex has fancy auto gyros that make it easier to fly.?? my dad is thinking about getting a t-rex as they are easier to fly. (my dad is hopeless with mine, even with the training gear!) I think I'll stick with my piccolo, although one thing I'd like to know, is that I'd like to get a 'airwolf' fuselage, which comes with retractable landing gear. I've heard that, because of the extra weight, you have to upgrade the rotor motor as well?? also, do you know any batteries that may be a bit better than the ones I've got now? currently I have these ?? batteries that came with the heli. the only thing is, that I need some better ones as the flight time is only about 2 mins, then I can't get above ground effect, even on full throttle.
Thanks for watching the video
Corey
Old 07-27-2005, 08:22 AM
GroundMagnet

The Trex is easier to fly then a FP just alot harder to setup. Also with a Trex you crash you pay is't simple even a blade touch on something can spell damage though parts are cheap but none the less you pay. I wouldn't get the Airwolf body until you can fly with out crashing it's a shame to see all the time and money go down with the ship. Don't ask me how I know.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:41 AM
corey19981

hello. err what ship??? haven't got one sorry! well I've never crashed my piccolo, the worst thing that's happend is that my dad tried to take off without the training gear (not that he can even do it with the training gear) for some wierd reason, and it tipped on it's side and the blades hit the floor. the good thing with the eco piccolo is that the blades simply pop off the ball bearings when you crash. sometimes they have popped off when i crash landed with the training gear. now, I never have a bad landing because I've mastered it. I have a nice space (12 x 40 foot) in the garage so there isn't really much of a problem with obstacles - meaning I don't have anything to crash into.

just to let you know, I've never crashed it anyway, so I don't see why I shouldn't get the fuselage. also, if I did get the airwolf fuselage, would I need a bigger motor so the heli can bear the weight? don't forget it comes with retractable landing gear as well. also, I've got the piccoboard plus on it, so I won't need to upgrade to one with more channels. it's just that the airwolf looks cool. you've got to admit the canopy they give you for the ep is pretty rubbish.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:54 AM
Tanner Hall
My Feedback: (1)

age is not an issue. there's a 9-year american kid (kyle something or other) doing 3D demos around the country. and a 17-yr old brit, duncan osborne, just won 3D masters. the only drawback to being young is that you're usually broke...
Old 07-27-2005, 10:58 AM
corey19981

was that an insult or a compliment? yeah, I've seen the video of kyle stacey. he's my lil brother. hehe just kidding. I'm a brit by the way.

whew! just flew my heli earlier on, and I almost crashed. for some reason, when the battery gets low, the gyros go out of trim and the heli goes real out of control. what happened was the tail rotor all of the sudden started spinning real fast, so the heli turned 90* and started speeding towards the wall. just in time I managed to spin it around and I tried to land it, but as the blades slowed down to about 100 rpm as I was an inch off the floor, bang! the blades hit the wall, and ended up tipping the heli on it's side. luckily the only thing damaged was the sticker on the blade, and a little scratch on the wall. (don't tell my dad!!) well. it's been a shock. my first ever crash! usually when it goes out of control, I can get it back in control and land it, although not this time. I don't know why it does it. the only time it does it is when the battery gets hot after a few flies, and it gets low on power. the only thing is, usually it gets hot enough to burn my hand, but this time I could smell burning and it was so hot that the insulation tape that is holding the batterys together had melted at one corner!! I've got the second battery on trickle charge, and I've left the other one in the fridge to cool down.

Corey
Old 07-27-2005, 11:42 AM
VinceHerman

Corey,
Batteries that hot clearly indicates a problem.
At the very least, you will destroy the capacity of the battery pack. Likely, you will see additional problems with your electronics, if they cannot handle the very high current demands that are aparently being pulled from your battery.

What battery are you using? (type, capacity and number of cells)
Are you using the stock mixing board?
Does the motor get hot as well?
Vince
Old 07-27-2005, 12:57 PM
WhtBronco

Another thing to consider is are you flying the battery, immediately charging it after flying anf then as soon as it's charged flying it again? That's the only way I have ever gotten a battery that hot without a short in the system.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:06 PM
Sabot

WoW well done for keeping your heli for so long without distroying it , im 15, even though i was quite good at it i still managed to wreck it. air-con + hall + FP heli [X(]

anyways dont those tail motors wear out pretty quickly?

A hot battery back *might* be caused by a worn-out main motor

as for the airwolf body you'll need a upgraded motor (comes with it i think), performance blades and possibly a 8-cell battery pack - i had a bell 222 body on my hummingbird and once i broke the performance blades i found i couldnt replace them easily and it wouldnt fly at all with normal replacement blades.

just out of interest, what h ave you replaced on the heli?

batteries wear out after a certain amount of charges especially if you fast-charge them

a CP heli like a T-Rex which someone recomended, or any larger CP heli would allow you to fly outdoors
I tried flying my FP micro heli outdoors once [X(][X(]

good luck
Old 07-28-2005, 01:10 AM
corey19981

no upgrades, put a bit of wire skin on the metal rod that you hang the canopy on so it doesn't keep falling off. (before I'd be in flight and the canopy would fall off). one of my grand-uncles owns 3 electrical shops and 2 model shops. we went up there and I was telling him how rubbish the battery was and that I wanted to know the price for some lithium ones. because he's 62 he kind of thinks everyone doesn't know anything (if yah know what I mean) and he said that it's a bad idea because they can explode if over charged. this is true, however I know better, and I already knew that they can explode after reading up on it. so now I'm stuck with the old useless batterys. err I can't tell you what type it is because the heli is in the garage, and the garage isn't' attached to the house, and therefore I'm not going out in the freezing cold with just a dressing gown and pants on..
also, I'm thinking of getting some carbon fibre blades (not new, just off ebay or something) and putting them on the heli so I can fly it outside in stronger winds. the motor doesn't get hot. I have felt all the electronics in there and they are all cool, except for the battery. and now I'm going to have to go and get an elastic band to hang it on, since the battery melted it. what I do, is I'll charge one battery in fast charge, then when it's ready, I'll fly it, and whilst I'm flying the first one, I'll have the second one on charge, and so on. also, I've read up how fast charges are supposed to take 30 mins??!! when I do it, it takes around 5 mins. I have tried putting it on trickle charge all through the night also. there is no difference between flight time. also, I have a third battery, which gives me about 10 seconds flight time most. I tested it on a voltometer (my dad has an electric shop too) and one of the batterys is dead. went up to adrian (my uncle), got a new one, and then I soldered it onto the rest of the batterys. I have also made another battery pack with brand new batterys. the new battery pack is slightly more flight time ( about 7 - 8 mins) and the third battery pack is now giving me about 5 mins.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:41 AM
corey19981

I put another video on there. check it out. by the way, see how it goes out of control when the battery gets low.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:00 PM
sparkling_fist

Nice videos
Old 07-28-2005, 12:05 PM
ChopperMike

While at the hobby show in Chicago a few years ago there was a kid from Germany there doing demo fligts on a Corona Electric. They said he was 12 and had been flying heli's for 5 years, so he was 7 when he started.

Mike
Old 07-28-2005, 12:31 PM
corey19981

I'm 12 in august the fifth, and I got my helicopter when I was eight. although it was in a cupboard for 2 years though, as I lost interest, but now I'm back on the case!
Old 07-29-2005, 02:57 PM
Hover Dude

Dang i feel old. I am 16 and have had a 22d for 7months and barely got it off the ground more than a few times, partly cause i had to wait for new main gears and parts like that most of the time. Also due to lasck of time during school. corey19981 i am impressed, i have a little bro ur age and could not imagine him flyin a micro heli.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:30 AM
corey19981

thanks dude!
Old 07-30-2005, 05:54 PM
nitroracer20

IM 14 and I have a t-rex and a lama financed by me and only me. Helps to have a job at the lhs too.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:35 AM
corey19981

dang... first every crash :-(

flew it outside just like any other time, it was absoultely incredibly windless, and all of the sudden a massive gust came, it flew real fast, so I somehow landed it kinda like a plane, and it wasn't too bad, just a bad crash landing. next fly, I was in mid air, and all of the sudden the vibrations of the blade rattled off the cable ties of the training gear (ping pong balls attached to stick for crash landings I use when I fly outside), and it was hanging by the two rear cable ties (the the rear of the skids), then the other one came off, so I'm like hovering with this traning gear hanging by one cable tie! I kept it hovering for a minute, trying to figure out how I'm going to land this thing, so I done what was best, and tried. SMASH!! into the ground go the helicopter, nose down! the blades pierced into the ground, and luckily folded up instead of breaking. the battery had fallen out, the plastic canopy thing was crumpled, so now I use my other one, and the piccoboard came off, so I had to put that back on. a new swashplate is on it's way from ebay, replacing the majorly distorted and crumpled original one.

Corey