Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Another fiberglassing question

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Another fiberglassing question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2002, 08:12 PM
bdphil
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another fiberglassing question

I have what is probably a pretty dumb question about fiberglassing balsa sheeted foam surfaces. So here goes:

I have read nearly all the threads on glassing, but something still puzzles me. How to apply the cloth around squared wingtips or any other areas with a sharp corner?

I've seen where most folks can cover their wings with one piece of cloth top and bottom. I assume that they have wingtips that are rounded. Also, what about "cutouts" for ailerons? I was guessing that this area would be a seperate piece and done first, then do the top and bottom surface.

I'm really looking forward to my first glassing project, but I'm still a little timid. Maybe the 'ol pros can lend a hand here.

Ben
Old 10-20-2002, 12:24 AM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Going over sharp corners is not a big deal. If a person can cover a wing upper and lower with one piece, my hat is off to him, but it is not necessary. The cloth is so light that it can be overlapped, and spliced at various spots, and after the second application of resin you cannot see or feel the joint. After the first application of resin, which is to just seal the wood and bond the cloth to the wood, sand very lightly the seams you made. The second application of resin is a fill coat to fill the weave. The traditional .6oz glass cloth used for this purpose requires very little resin to completely seal the weave. Some people do not even apply a second coat of resin, opting to fill the weave with primer instead. It works just as good, and is strictly a personal preference IMO.

Vince
Old 10-20-2002, 01:01 AM
bdphil
My Feedback: (26)

Thanks Vince,

I didn't think the overlap could be that noticable with such a light cloth, but I wanted to make sure.

Ben
Old 10-20-2002, 02:08 PM
Vince
My Feedback: (1)

Your welcome Ben, good luck with your project.

Vince