Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Z-B25?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 08:40 PM
CaptainHook
My Feedback: (80)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Z-B25?

I am currently building the Ziroli 118" B-25 and have a pair of Brison 3.2. I 've been giving some thought on an engine change using the Saito 450. I'm not sure this is a good move or not. I've been flying gas for years and never used glow on a twin. I believe the Saito will do the job but I am concerned about engine out and reliability. Any experience using these engines and would you use them on a twin? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:57 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Z-B25?

Carey:

No reason not to use the Saito FA-450R3 engines from a reliability standpoint. Further, they will sound much more "Real" than your gas engines.

What you need to be prepared for is a much higher fuel rate. These engines at full throttle will burn close to five ounces a minute. And that's each engine. Part throttle the rate is lower of course, but the average will still be around 2 1/2 to 3 ounces per minute.

But for realism you wont beat them, unless you get seven or nine cylinder radials instead.

Bill.
Old 08-06-2005, 05:09 PM
CaptainHook

Thanks Bill, I didn't think the fuel consumption was that high. Wow... that's a big problem, not sure if I can fit a tank large enough to keep up with that kind of draw. I usually have about 10 minute flights on average. I currently have the Brison's so it looks like the best bet is to stick with them.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:48 PM
William Robison

Carey:

Consider the FA-325R5 radials. Still about the power of your Brisons, maybe a little less, but the fuel rate with them will be a lot lower. And even better sound with ten cylinders instead of six.

Bill.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:22 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 people in my club has the Saito triples and, while I love the singles, neither of these triples ran reliably enough for a twin, in my opinion. I don't I ever saw them with all 3 cylinders running together. Gas engines are very reliable so I would stick with the Brisons.

If you do go with the Saitos, I would surely fly them on a single engine plane to get the bugs worked out and the settings correct.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:29 PM
William Robison

Carey:

Ed has a point. Any multi cylinder glow engine can be a real pain to set up, and unless all is right you might be unhappy. But there are many who are very pleased with the Saito radials.

At the same time, the biggest problem I've ever heard of in adjusting a multi was a Saito FA-450R3.

Bill.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:31 PM
William Robison

Carey:

See [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3224366/anchors_3230824/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#3230824]this thread[/link].

Bill.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:25 PM
CaptainHook

Bill,

Good info and just what I've been looking for. Sounds like they are reliable, but a pain in the tail to get there and much understanding of how to do it. I'm not what I call a top notch engine guy when it comes to tweaking these things. I want to fire it up and go, couple that with a twin application and all see is a desaster in the making... Or much more needed attention in breaking in before they meet their permanent home. I knew that you guy's would come through with the heads up here at RCU and that's why I asked. I'll stick with what I have and I'm sure I'll be happy with them.