Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Twin Sea Plane.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 04:23 PM
admw12
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Sea Plane.

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has seen an arf for a twin sea plane. I haven't seen one yet, so I decided to build my own from a single engine arf. It is currently in the works, but looks like it will work out just fine. Here's what I got going on: I took a Global Arf called a Sea Monster. I flew it with a Tower 75 and WOW, what power, but after a year it got old. So I decided to make it a twin. I went on to Tower's parts express site, and bought a set of the Hobbico Twinstar's Nacelle's and tanks and covers and spinners. Then I measured out from the center of the wing so that when I cut into it, the nacells mount the same distance apart. I decided to use a wing rib for reference. Then I cut just enough of the wing out to mount the nacelles. I used a piece of balsa light ply to make the servo mounts, then recovered the wing. I haven't mounted the engines to the nacelles yet or mounted the servos in the wing, but that is next on my agenda. I'll post some pics in the next couple of days.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:16 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Twin Sea Plane.

Great project! The biggest problem I see is prop clearance over the water. Your engines are going to be 3 or 4 inches lower. Of course those 4 ounce tanks are going to limit the size of your engines anyway, so maybe if you use 25's and 8 inch 3 blade props you'll be OK.

Keep us posted.

Jim

Old 08-10-2005, 05:25 PM
kram-RCU

Sounds like a fun project!

Pictures??

mt
Old 08-10-2005, 07:06 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Ad:

The only thing to be worried about is how well the engines come up together with adding throttle. A land plane has the wheels to help it go straight, your seaplane can head any which way until the speed gets high enough for the water rudder to become effective.

Just be careful, enjoy your project.

Bill.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:31 PM
admw12
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks for the reply's, I did foresee a problem with the clearance over the water, I am planning in using os .25 fx's with 8x6 props. When I did a test fit in the pool, it looked a though I would have over 2 inches of clearance. As far as the rpm on each engine goes, I think I have a handle on that too. I once had a p 38 with these engines and I learned quickly how to match rpm at idle and at full throttle. But thanks because I didn't think about that being an issue before, now I will have an eye out for any trouble on take off.
This is great info... I will post pics asap.