Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

What motor for an Cap 232

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2002, 01:36 AM
bigmac1971
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What motor for an Cap 232

what motor should i use on a Midwest Cap 232 80" W.S.
I was thinking about a bme 50 or a G-45. Would this give me enough power for 3-d and the vertcal i need to do 3-d with.

let me know .

Thanks Keith
Old 10-22-2002, 02:29 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I own the MidwestExtra, very similar is flight, matter of fact...identical wing. I run a BME50, pretty simply because of weight(the lightest from what I've heard), and power. The plane at 15lbs with the BME has just under 30oz psf. wing loading, and with what's been specced at 30lbs thrust, they come out with about a 2:1 thrust to weight. With this combo, it is totally unlimited vertical, and will power out of hovers. I've got alot to learn for 3D, and this will definately go with the basics.

The Cap I'm almost sure will have slightly different tendencies in flight, but with same same engine, should weigh in very close.
They make very good IMAC planes, as this is the direction I'm going with mine. I've been told they are one of the best for entry level. Judging how the planes perform I can see why.

The G-45, although a bit cheaper won't give the same performance, and will weigh a few oz's more if I remember right. On top of that, the BME's are such sweet engines, and real tame to handle. The easiest running engine I've ever owned.'
The plane has no prob going vertical....the biggest prob I have is getting it to STOP going up, literally just a few clicks up on throttle and she will keep going. The 50 would be plenty...it's alot of power, and demands throttle control.
Also check into Taurus engines, there's a few of our Giant guru's that are all for Taurus. I did see these on the web, and have to say they look very good too. DA is coming out with a new 50, and matter of fact BME is rumored to be coming out with a 55, don't know if it's taking the place of the 50, one might think so though. Now, I can say the BME's run REAL good, but there's alot to look at, and at $600++, that's alot of coin to think about.
The BME burns a little less then an ounce a minute, with mild throttle, so a 24oz tank will suffice(I've gotten 29 minutes on a tank, and this is in flight with aerobatics)...that's a bit more fuel then some might carry, but I like reserve.

Honestly if your looking for more of a 3D ship, there's other's that will out perform the Midwest in all out 3D, but for an IMAC legal plane that is said to be great in the manuevers, that will do most 3Dmildly, the Midwest CAP is your plane, and I'd say 50cc gasser for power.
Old 10-22-2002, 11:51 PM
bigmac1971
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello
Thanks for the info. i was thinking the same thing about the bme. I heard about the new DA but no one has said when the are comeing out with it forsure . Plus i hate to get the one first of the shelf . I mite get the one with all the problems . LOL. I just got the plane , with an OS bgx on it . I have not had a chance to fly it yet. the motor . was not tuned correctly. the gas bill on that thing is what i not looking forward too. i have a few big planes with nitro on them . LOT of fuel real fast. A few of the guys in the club have had planes close to the Cap i have and have like them. I got this one at a resonable price . So i picked it up at a swap meet. Thanks Keith