Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Component reliability

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 01:04 AM
patternrules
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Component reliability

How about some info on component reliability, battery cycles, motor maintenance, any related info.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:53 AM
can773
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Component reliability

For my setup,

ESC is a Schulze 32.55K - 250 flights no issues
Plettenberg 25-13 motor - 210 flights or so, never had to touch it No gearbox, no maintenance.
Batteries - around 50 cycles on the 5300 packs, who knows how many more I will get.....but they remain in perfect balance.

My friend Adam (who posts here) recently did a capacity check on his 5s3p 6000 Prolite packs and noticed approximately 3% capacity loss in 40 cycles. If that trend is linear they should be good to at least a 10-15% loss before replacement which puts them in the range of 150-200 cycles....

I dont think previous generation packs were good enough to get close to those numbers in our application so it will be a bit yet before many people really start to cycle these packs out.

As long as things keep cool (especially the motor and batteries) I have found my setup to be basically 100% trouble free, but I was very meticulous intially about knowing the temperatures under different conditions.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:29 PM
FLYERSG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: can773

For my setup,

ESC is a Schulze 32.55K - 250 flights no issues
Plettenberg 25-13 motor - 210 flights or so, never had to touch it No gearbox, no maintenance.
Batteries - around 50 cycles on the 5300 packs, who knows how many more I will get.....but they remain in perfect balance.

My friend Adam (who posts here) recently did a capacity check on his 5s3p 6000 Prolite packs and noticed approximately 3% capacity loss in 40 cycles. If that trend is linear they should be good to at least a 10-15% loss before replacement which puts them in the range of 150-200 cycles....

I dont think previous generation packs were good enough to get close to those numbers in our application so it will be a bit yet before many people really start to cycle these packs out.

As long as things keep cool (especially the motor and batteries) I have found my setup to be basically 100% trouble free, but I was very meticulous intially about knowing the temperatures under different conditions.
Chad: Did you switch to a Plett Xtra 30 series motor? Seems I remember reading that. If so, do you feel that is a better choice compared to the Xtra 25?

Mike Moritko
Old 08-14-2005, 01:47 PM
can773

Yes I am using the 30-10 now with the 21x12We or 21x13We (I have not made up my mind yet!) I dont have a lot of time on it so reliability wise I felt better to comment on the 25-13. Although I cant see it being any different.

Better....more power for certain....gives me more yank through the top radius which makes them easier to keep on size with the entry without a lot of work. If I had that kind of power with the 25-13 I would not have switched but there were a few times the 25-13 left me feeling I needed some more poop. Although I think most flyers would feel the 25-13 has superb power, but the 30-10 is a closer match to the Hacker.

Adam is still using the 25-13 and feels it is pulling his plane around fine.

Other side items, the motor has less controller induced squeel than the 25-13, its has a smoother tone to it in the air...and with the prop combo I am running now it is a fair bit quieter in flight.

Drawbacks....its slightly heavier (2 oz) and longer....thats about it
Old 08-14-2005, 03:54 PM
FLYERSG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chad: Thanks for the Xtra 30 update. One other question.....are you using any type of shock mount? MY C50 Hacker, even with the gear box noise, is so quiet in the air and there's so little vibration in the airframe, I really don't see a need for shock mounting these electric motors. Yet, some are doing so...perhaps as a "left over" from being so used to mounting 2 and 4 strokes on a shock mount.

Mike Moritko
Old 08-14-2005, 04:25 PM
can773

I have not seen the Hyde electric mount that some are using so I am not sure if it is practical to use with an outrunner....my motors have all be hard mounted to a firewall (rear mounted)

Without the gearbox to make noise the Plett's are about as close to silent as you can get I dont really see any reason to make them quieter.....as for vibration, there is none that I can detect and on a RX battery consumption basis its 25% of what my glow engines were doing.

To me one bonus of the electrics is the cost savings of not needing a Hyde mount Hopefully someone who is running one can chime in with some tangible benefits of using one on an electric motor.....