Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Baby Boomerang @ 10.000 feet

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Baby Boomerang @ 10.000 feet

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 12:49 AM
-JC-
My Feedback: (26)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Baby Boomerang @ 10.000 feet

Saturday was a pretty fun experience. I was invited to fly jets at a full scale airshow at Big Bear Airport way up in the mountains in California, as part of an AMA airshow team

Since the airport elevation is almost 7000 feet, the Boomerang seemed like a good choice. Other than that, we had a JetCopter there, and a number of glow powered planes. First up was a couple of Fokker Eindeckers (glow). They barely made it off the ground, and had virtually no performance. Next was a 4 engined bomber (glow also) which took off and managed to climb to 30 feet altitude before it stalled and crashed.

Then it was my turn. The P-60 would flame out again and again, but I finally figured out that the trick was to accelerate slowly and the leave the engine at full power throughout the flight. Once airborne, it was almost like flying at my home field, except that it felt like I was a half throttle all the time.

The JetCopter normally hovers at half stick, but needed 3/4 stick to lift off the ground, and full collective in the turns to stay airborne...

Anyway, after 3 shows, with a lot of happy spectators the air boss came over and said "You realize the density altitude is over 9000 feet today" [:-][:-][:-] And since I made some pretty high climbs, before doing speed runs on the deck, I am sure that the plane broke the 10.000 foot ceiling on more than one occasion.

I wonder what the altitude record is for model turbine flying. I don't think the plane would have climbed much higher.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:12 AM
Silver182
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Baby Boomerang @ 10.000 feet

Hello John,
There is going to be at least one fellow here in town that is going welcome your news the Baby Boomerang flys at altitude with a P-60. He has built a kit turbine the Wren MW54, which I assume will produce about the same thrust as the P-60.

He plans to put it in a Baby Boomerang. We normally fly at density altitudes above 8,000 as a normal course of business. This summer has been a hot one with most days in the high 80's low 90's our field elevation is 5,460. OAT's of 90 or more produce density altitudes at or near 8,500 feet. Thanks for the report, I'm sure Eddie will be happy to know his choice of airplanes should work out fine for him.
Lee H. DeMary
AMA 36099
Old 08-22-2005, 01:32 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Lee,
Three guys in my club have Baby Boomerangs, two with P-60's and one with a MW54 Mark III assembled from a kit. Although the MW54 is rated at only one pound more thrust than the P-60 (14# vs. 13#) the difference in performance is very noticeable. With the MW54 it accelerates and climbs much better. Top speed is about 15 mph. faster. We are at about 650 ft. so your results may differ.

Your friend should be happy with his choice of engines.

Joe
Old 08-22-2005, 06:25 PM
YLF
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John,

When you say the P-60 flamed out, did the fire go out or did the rpm just drop and flames shoot out the tail pipe? Just trying to relate to an issue I'm having.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 08-22-2005, 07:08 PM
-JC-
My Feedback: (26)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike,

It would sputter and quit if I throttled up too fast. no flames.

Slowly spooling up (About 10 - 12 seconds) would keep the engine running. At full power there where no issues.

I am sure the engine could be adjusted to run correctly if this was your every day operating conditions. I'd suspect the lack of oxygen would require a different ECU setting.

What was really funny was how the snap roll rate increased. The snaps where lightning fast, probably 50% faster than at sea level. It would also take an extra half turn to recover from an inverted spin.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:06 PM
digitech
My Feedback: (10)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: John Christensen

Saturday was a pretty fun experience. I was invited to fly jets at a full scale airshow at Big Bear Airport way up in the mountains in California, as part of an AMA airshow team

Since the airport elevation is almost 7000 feet, the Boomerang seemed like a good choice. Other than that, we had a JetCopter there, and a number of glow powered planes. First up was a couple of Fokker Eindeckers (glow). They barely made it off the ground, and had virtually no performance. Next was a 4 engined bomber (glow also) which took off and managed to climb to 30 feet altitude before it stalled and crashed.

Then it was my turn. The P-60 would flame out again and again, but I finally figured out that the trick was to accelerate slowly and the leave the engine at full power throughout the flight. Once airborne, it was almost like flying at my home field, except that it felt like I was a half throttle all the time.

The JetCopter normally hovers at half stick, but needed 3/4 stick to lift off the ground, and full collective in the turns to stay airborne...

Anyway, after 3 shows, with a lot of happy spectators the air boss came over and said "You realize the density altitude is over 9000 feet today" [:-][:-][:-] And since I made some pretty high climbs, before doing speed runs on the deck, I am sure that the plane broke the 10.000 foot ceiling on more than one occasion.

I wonder what the altitude record is for model turbine flying. I don't think the plane would have climbed much higher.
congrats for getting to 10000 feet

i will add it to my advertisement:
"" Boomerang has been tested to operate above 10000 feet``
Maybe the military will get them for target practice