Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 08:56 PM
gasfreak
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch

What would be the downside of running a clutch in a 49inch stryker hull if there is any
Old 09-05-2005, 09:46 PM
vsop

Default RE: clutch

Other than cost, a very small amount of added weight.. Nothing.. Unless for some reason the clutch slips..
For a pure racers.. Clutch is useless... For a rec boat well its almost a must have..

If you want to be able to launch by your self safely then get the clutch, plus it also allows you to idle dead in the water when ever you want. Just make sure you have a water pump on the boat if its water cooled with a clutch
Old 09-08-2005, 04:22 PM
gasfreak

Does anyone else have anything to add
Old 09-08-2005, 05:18 PM
Davcruz
My Feedback: (1)

It will cause your motor to sit a bit higher, sometimes that is an issue with a cat.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:40 PM
BMAD01

I got one in my Blast Cat. LOTS "O" FUN!! It's just a play hard boat. I had a waterpump on it, but I took it off. The only time the boat is sittin still is when I set er in the water. After that, it's haulin butt an gettin all kinds "O" water cooling. The shorter the unit is, the closer to an engine w/o a clutch you'll be. If you get a Marine Specialties Zero slip clutch (like I got) yer engine will sit very close to stock, and you should'nt have any cowl clearance problems. Brian
Old 09-09-2005, 07:10 AM
nick88
Banned

I run a clutch in an Aeromarine Avenger, and have not had one bit of trouble with it. It makes starting the boat, and also launching the boat a ton easier. The clutch that I am using is a Marine Specialties, and it is bolted onto a Quickdraw 25. In my mind, a clutch is the only way to go, I will never own a boat without a clutch.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:49 AM
Davcruz

I agree with you nick, a clutch is the only way to play boats. It looks cool in the water too, with the water shooting out of the pipe...kinda neat.
Old 09-09-2005, 01:06 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In a big boat I consider it a necessity for safe easy launching (and recovery !!). You have enough to think about when getting her in the water (including your back) without having to throw her at speed to keep her off the sand or from stalling.

This cat weighs about 45 pounds and thankfully runs a clutch. She is one of the few where I run the water through the pipe which aids in muffling the sound. Another benifit - if it gets loud you know you have a water flow / cooling issue

Old 09-09-2005, 04:28 PM
gasfreak

thanks you very much guys you have sold me on a ms clutch I will let you know how it works out by the way that yellow cat is the (you know)
Old 09-10-2005, 12:33 AM
hotttphxazzzzz

i just got a new hyper21 engine i am having problems with my clutch have went through two sets of clutch shoes both have melted . where can i get a good diagram of clutches
Old 09-10-2005, 06:52 AM
Davcruz

You may want to ask this in the nitro forum. What boat is the Hyper 21 in, a Traxxas Nitro Vee?
Old 09-11-2005, 03:23 PM
nick88
Banned

Justaddwata, that is a very nice looking off-shore cat. I was wonder if you would be able to tell me more about like the maker, engine choice, and all that good stuff. I saw some real off-shore race boat over the summer, and let me tell you, that boat of your is an exact replica. NICE BOAT!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-12-2005, 10:45 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Many thanks Nick !!

Boat hull is the 69" MHZ Jolly Motor Cat and as shown she has a MHZ Blata 40 motor running through a counter rotating (33% Over drive)box to two 7016/3 propshop props. I used Ballantine surface drives instead of Arneson drives due to limited drive options (and a bit of a rush to get it done before the lakes froze). The motor is as big a motor as will fit under the hatch and has about 1/16" clearance over the head (the plug almost hits the top of the scoop)

The props were a little too large to allow her to get on pipe (and counter rotating props are very scarce) so I never saw her full potential. I have stripped the hull presently and will be using the same motor / box only with different drives and props. I am also aiming to get a little weight out of the boat which should help performance some too!! She is in storage now and will probably be out of the water for another 12 months due to many other projects.

Theres 6 pages of pics (of build and running) here if interested - [link=http://groups.msn.com/JustaddwatasRCBoats/69inchjollymotormhzcat.msnw?Page=1]http://groups.msn.com/JustaddwatasRCBoats/69inchjollymotormhzcat.msnw?Page=1[/link]
Old 09-23-2005, 07:02 PM
ledzep

Hello,

Does anyone know where I could pick up a clutch for a .15 nitro engine for a boat?

Thanks
Old 09-23-2005, 07:46 PM
vsop

ORIGINAL: ledzep

Hello,

Does anyone know where I could pick up a clutch for a .15 nitro engine for a boat?

Thanks

Ask in the nitro area
Old 09-23-2005, 11:37 PM
Ron Olson

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Bring it over to the Nitro forum and I'll answer it there.