Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

after run oil?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2002, 05:01 AM
kyokai2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default after run oil?

I have heard all different stories about how often you should add after run oil to your nitro engine and was curious if anyone really knows? I have heard after every days run, and Ive heard if the car sits for more than a week. Also, Ive heard that adding the oil to the carb can damage o-rings, whats the skinny on the after run oil dillema.
Old 10-27-2002, 01:24 PM
slodsm
My Feedback: (1)

Default after run oil?

drop it through the glow plug hole. And I do it after each day just to be safe and make it easier on the next startup. Pre lubed.
Old 10-27-2002, 07:57 PM
pilothyer

Default AFTER RUN OIL

KYOKAI2, I have been using after run oil in all my cars, boats and airplane engines after each days use........I try to do it while the engine is still warm, and after making sure all the fuel remaining in the engine is burned off by disconnecting the fuel line to the carb and with the glow plug fired, starting the engine untill it won't start again. I have always put a few drops in the carb as well as directly in the cylinder through the glow plug hole, then I spin the engine a second or two to distribute the oil inside....... I have always used "Marvel Mystery Oil" and have never had any problems in over 10 years............... By the way, does your handle (kyokai2) have anything to do with the Kyosho MP-7.5 Kanai II? Just curious
Old 10-28-2002, 12:30 AM
nrctc3
My Feedback: (3)

Default after run oil?

Yep I do it after everyday. I use the Marvel Mystery oil also.
Old 10-31-2002, 09:20 PM
dbow

Default oil

I also use 3n1 oil after every run, I drown my engines in the stuff, about 10 drops down the glow plug hole and the carb, activating the opening back and forth and turning over the enginea few times.

The O-Ring thing originates from the O.S manuals that come with their engines.
Basically it says if you use oil that is specific to the purpose (after run oil) that it will deteriorate the o-rings in the carbs. The thought behind this is that after run oil leeches moisture from the rings causing them to dry out and crack. This will cause a air leak and thus a lean condition.

The marvel mytery oil and household oils do not leech but rather coat the internals and parts and prohibit moisture from contacting these parts.

I also lube my needles and o-rings as Nitro fuel will cause them to crack as well.

For anyone that dont believe that, take one of your O-rings and submerge it in a small container of Nitro Fuel. Come back a little later and see what it looks like.

Dbow
Old 11-02-2002, 01:20 AM
Bonefrost
My Feedback: (6)

Default after run oil?

This subject comes up all the time.Some manuals say do not use any househould oils such as 3 in 1,WD40, whatever.
But some say use it.
I use WD40 to clean it real good then put a little after run oil in it.I don't do it after everytime I run it,but often enough.
I probably will start useing after run oil everytime now that I rebuilt some of my engines.
BNZ'
Old 12-04-2002, 03:33 AM
DSA.308
My Feedback: (6)

Default after run oil?

I use some stuff called snake bite I purchased at a local shop. I use it after every 1 hour of running, or after each days run. Put 3 to 5 drops down the plug hole and the carb. Make sure no fuel is left in tank or lines. turn engine over for 10 seconds with plug out, then replace plug and dont worry. It sure doesnt hurt anything, and displaces water, which nitro fuel attracts, and then rusts your engine internals. It makes sence to use and dramatically increases engine life in my experience. I have the new Tmaxx 2.5, and have over 6 gallons of nitro through it. It has lost some tuneability and performace, but I would guess It is at 3/4 life now. Meaning I expect 3 more gallons of fun, and I think much of it has to do with proper break-in and using a high quality after run oil. Use it, and enjoy better performance, and longer engine life. What more is there to say?
Old 12-04-2002, 06:14 AM
crash_me_over
My Feedback: (16)

Default After run oil

I have flown airplanes for years. One of my OS 40 FP engines was going to be a ginnie pig and didn't even know it.

After each flying session with that engine......I would simply pinch the fuel line to stop the engine. I would then remove the fuel tubing from the muffler and the where it hooks up to the carb......insert a short piece of brass tubing into each end to seal the tubing off......leaving fuel in the fuel tank. I would then return the airplane home "WITHOUT" adding any after run oil to the engine. The results? That engine lasted for a very long time. I put gallons of fuel in that engine and not a drop of after run oil......"NEVER".

Now don't get me wrong.....I do use after run oil....marvel mystery oil in all of my "other engines" and never have problems with them. I just had to see for myself what would happen if I didn't use after run oil in that engine. Now I know!