Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Help with shogun V2 brushless setup (my motor burned up)

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Help with shogun V2 brushless setup (my motor burned up)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 09:29 PM
miamifly
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with shogun V2 brushless setup (my motor burned up)

I recently added a brushless motor to my shogun V2, the hacker 4900kv moter. I put the stock 10T pinion gear on this and started it up. About 2 or 3 minutes into a hover the heli dropped and white smoke started coming out of the moter. The moter was extremly hot to the touch and using my voltmeter i can tell that there is resistance between wires 1 and 2, 2 and 3, but not 3 and 1, meaning one of the 3 coils inside the moter must have seperated due to extreme heat. Did I simply over draw the moter with the 10T pinion, or is something else at fault? I'm using a Thunder Power 2100 3-cell lipo and a castle creations 45 amp esc. Please let me know whats wrong with my set up so i can get flying again soon. Thanks in advance for any imput.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:04 PM
-pkh-

Default RE: Help with shogun V2 brushless setup (my motor burned up)

Well, I'm not familar with the V2 Shogun or that Hacker motor, but I'm betting you have that motor way overgeared. On my V1 Shogun, I have a 4200Kv motor (Himaxx 2025-4200) with an 8T pinion, and the motor gets about as hot as you dare run it (this is a common setup for the V1). If you have a 4900Kv motor, it would probably run hotter than mine with an 8T pinion... and the 10T would probably toast it... and it sounds like it did! For that motor and gear ratio to work, that Hacker motor would have to have a much higher current (and power) rating than my Himaxx.

Hopefully some other V2 owners can give you more specific advice/recommendations on your setup...
Old 09-25-2005, 02:31 AM
iloweru

i have the ver2 with a brushless motor with a 10 tooth and it runs fine. you mite check your screws that hold the motor, could be to long and hit the coil inside the motor.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:11 AM
-pkh-

ORIGINAL: iloweru

i have the ver2 with a brushless motor with a 10 tooth and it runs fine. you mite check your screws that hold the motor, could be to long and hit the coil inside the motor.
What's the Kv rating on your BL motor?
Old 09-25-2005, 11:34 AM
miamifly

I would also be curious to know the kv rating of your motor. I think pkh is right and i just overloaded the motor. When I installed the screws I spun the shaft slowly by hand and there didn't appear to be any scrapping, this was also one of my first guesses as to what went wrong though probably this was not the problem. Oh well, I sent the motor to horizon and hopefully i'll get it back soon and I'll probably swap it out for one of the 3700 kv motors they have. I'm still interested in hearing what other peoples setups are. Thanks for all the input so far.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:07 PM
iloweru

Specifications:
Motor/v: 3600/v
No Load Current: Under .08amps
Maximum Current: 22V
Efficiency: 85%
Voltage Range: Under 16 volts
Pinion Gear Supplied: 10T
Weight: 75g
Diameter: 28mm
Length: 41mm
Shaft Diameter: 2.3mm

its the brushless made for the shogun
Old 09-25-2005, 04:17 PM
miamifly

Does your motor get hot or does your heli seem to like that set up? I'm going to try and set something up that won't heat up the motor past 100 or 120 degrees. What kind of head speed do you get with your motor? Is it significantly faster than the stock setup to where you get increased stability?
Old 09-25-2005, 07:34 PM
-pkh-

He can run a 10T pinion because he has much lower Kv motor than you do. The higher the Kv, the smaller the pinion you'll need to run, since it has lower torque and will run higher RPMs on a given batt pack. If you just scale the pinion size linearly with the Kv, a 4900 Kv motor would need a 7T pinion for comparable loading. I haven't seen one that small, so if you go down to a 8T, put a heat sink on it, and run the head speed a little higher, you may get by with that motor.

Best thing to do is get a lower Kv motor (like the 3600 or 3700 motors metioned) and run the larger pinion. I always try to find out what comes with combo packages or find out what other people run in their setups before buying a motor and pinion. Having a Ammeter helps to check your setup too... I hovered my Shogun ( and gave it a few collective/throttle kicks) with my Ammeter hooked up and the training gear on, and it pulled 9A peak. My motor and batt packs are good for 12 -15A, so I know I'm not overloading the motor.
Old 09-26-2005, 01:10 AM
the-deeman

it runs warm on a 3 cell pack but not to hot not to run. i get about 10 to 15 mins flite time with it. look in to the brushless that is made for the shogun it works great and comes with the gear on it .
Old 09-29-2005, 07:12 PM
consultjdm

Yep I burned mine two with that new 15C thunder tiger battery. But I got 20 minutes per charge and about 8 charges before it fried. This is if your talking about the Blue brushless motor they sell at hobby People for their EF Showgun.

I switched to the outrunner. We hoooo! had to modify the screw mounting holes just a little to widen them out. It runs almost cool compared to the others. My pinion is a 8 or 9 I have to check I think an 8. But I've just flown it two battery packs so far. But it is just so cool compared to the blue motor it has to last longer. I'll let you know - by next week I'll of run it through back to back packs and maybe twenty charges.

Great head speed. Super small and light motor.