Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Piper Cub ARF???

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Goldberg Piper Cub ARF???

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 01:33 PM
2slow2matter
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldberg Piper Cub ARF???

I've heard rumor that CG has a piper cub ARF coming out that is fabric covered. Has anyone else heard this? Tower doesn't list anything, but wholesale train is pre-ordering a CG piper cub, but doesn't have any information about it, such as covering. I really want a fabric covered cub, and am considering the sig 1/5 kit and covering it myself, but I also really like the GP fabric covered cub that is discontinued right now. So, if CG is coming out with a fabric covered ARF, then I might really have to consider it!
Anyone heard anything?
thanks!
Old 09-20-2005, 10:12 PM
twistr
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Goldberg Piper Cub ARF???

2slow: Found this on tower. I believe it to be the new one CG is coming out with. It just says "iron on" covering. I think it's going to be ultracote, as that is what CG usually uses...

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHEM1&P=7
Old 09-22-2005, 04:05 PM
Woody 51

The Great Planes ARF .40 Cub IS covered with fabric style Coverite.
Although it is advertised as 1/4 scale, in reality, it is actually 1/5th scale.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:41 PM
2slow2matter

Woody,
So, is the plane available now? I was led to believe it is a new offering. Is it a good kit?
Old 09-23-2005, 07:16 AM
Woody 51

The Great Planes J3 ARF Cub has been around for about 5 years now.

Reviews of the kit are generally pretty good. Expect to do some heat gun work to get rid of some covering wrinkles when you 1st get into it. (Not a problem with Coverite, but it does take a little time.) I had similar problems with my Kyosho Cub (mid 1990's 1st release version, fabric style Solarkote covered, but now since superceded with a shiny Oracover coated version - yuck!) but it was worth the effort.

There were some complaints with the strut attachment method. A CA hinge, which is prone to tearing, but some lateral thinking at construction time can overcome this.

Try one of the excellent Hayes (Polypropylene) hinge's. The struts are load bearing and the model MUST be flown with them attached.

All the included hardware (tank, clevises, hinges etc) is quality Great Planes stuff. A real plus when compared to most ARF offerings.

And a fantastic pair of Great Planes scale Cub balloon main wheels is also in the kit. You may want to substitue the supplied tail wheel though, with a Sullivan unit.

Flying wise it is viceless.

The Great Planes Float Kit is also suitable for this model.

See more at: http://www.greatplanes.com/airplanes/gpma1310.html

Tower Hobbies have them in stock
Old 09-23-2005, 08:52 AM
2slow2matter

Woody,
I'm sorry, we must have had a miscommunication. I was wondering about the upcoming Carl Goldberg model. Great Planes has put their fabric covered arf out of production, at least temporarily, with no re-production date in site.

I wish I could get my hands on one of those--maybe I'll try e-bay..
Thanks
Old 09-23-2005, 07:05 PM
Woody 51

Ah-sorry. I was not aware that Great Planes had made such a stupid decision.

But, plenty of the Great Planes ARF Cubs are still available here down under. If you are really desperate, I can supply the links for a hobby shop that can help you. They have them for $US223, plus freight back to you.

Looking at photos of the upcoming Goldberg offering, it appears to have reflections on the underside of the wing, which would indicate Oracover covering. Certainly their Clipped Wing Cub has shiny covering on it. (Oracover for sure.)
If this is the case and the model turns out to be a good one, I guess you could always strip the covering and recover with Coverite 21st Century Fabric Covering.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:56 PM
2slow2matter

Now, I get my new tower circular, and there is a whole page dedicated to the great planes piper cubs, and right there at the top is the fabric covered .40 sized arf--go figure. Maybe they'll start production again.....
Old 09-24-2005, 09:11 PM
Woody 51

Well, with your info re the kit going oop, I ordered one pronto yesterday, before they disappear. I will store it for a while and then next year will build it and set it up on floats.

That Tower circular won't arrive here for a couple of weeks yet.

GP still have the ARF Cub listed on their website as an "in production model." Maybe they will schedule a production run later this year or early next year?

Why not e-mail GP via their website and see if you get a response?
Old 09-25-2005, 02:54 PM
2slow2matter

Thanks, Woody. I'll try that...
Old 09-25-2005, 09:53 PM
onblur

2slow2matter,

What tower circular are you looking at? I'm not seeing it in the one i got yesterday, and I wouldn't mind picking up one of the fabric covered cubs. I have been kicking it around for a while, and I never actually ordered one. I'm seeing it as "temporarily unavailible" on towers site. Let me know if you find someplace that still has them...

Pete