Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

How many G's does a plane experience in aerobatic flight?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

How many G's does a plane experience in aerobatic flight?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 10:24 PM
MarkD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How many G's does a plane experience in aerobatic flight?

Here's an off beat question:

Does anyone have a guess as to how many G's a 28% size aerobatic plane might experience in flight ( crashes not included!!) ?

As high as 30 G's ??

Thanks,

MarkD
Old 09-24-2005, 12:00 AM
Darrinc
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How many G's does a plane experience in aerobatic flight?

I would think that they would be very low, that is if you are doing them smoothly. Typically we are flying very slow when preforming these manuvers, so how high could the G's be?

I do not know!
Old 09-24-2005, 12:13 AM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

Some of the guys have put G meters in their 33% planes, were getting from 9-16Gs in some cases. Those are the only numbers I remember seeing.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:36 AM
rmh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes - that's about it
now then -take a 8 ounce foamie which will reverse directions in about 2 feet -I wonder what G's are there.
It is all relative -
Old 09-24-2005, 10:03 AM
scottfl78

I know that most full scale aerobatic planes are limited to 10 G's because Lycoming limits there engine mounts to 10 G's They say that the actual airframe will take more. As for models we can probably pull a lot more taking out the human factor/pilot.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:31 PM
geardaddy
My Feedback: (27)

A model will without a doubt take more abuse than any full scale plane. G limits are 4 or so for a spam can and around 9 for a aerobat and most guys will pass out beyond 6 without training or a g suit. A fighter will go way up there due to the speed and power to maintain speed when pulling. A loop at 3-4 Gs seems like a lot for a a middle aged civilian like myself but still is a thrill to do.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:40 PM
50%plane
My Feedback: (5)

Does anyone have a guess as to how many G's a 28% size aerobatic plane might experience in flight
Not enough!!![8D]

Woops
Old 09-24-2005, 10:43 PM
aerofundan

andi wonder how much in a fast blender???
Old 09-25-2005, 01:01 AM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

A while back we had a chance to talk with Dennis Sawyer, US Aerobatic champ in his day, still flies full scale aerobatics. He told us that seven G's was his limit, beyond which the vascular system will either black you out on positive G's or red you out on negative G's. At seven G's a pilot weighing 150 pounds will feel the weight of over 1000 pounds. He described how at your G limit you first lose color perception, then lose your peripheral vision all the way down to narrow tunnel vision before you see nothing at all. This is of course a tremendous strain on the body, and a pilot subjected to this sort of thing needs to be in tip-top shape. Jet fighter pilots I'm told wear G-suits, which help them counteract the pressure of the G's to keep from blacking out in combat maneuvers.

I caught an airshow yesterday, with a demonstration by a full-scale Ultimate. I was reminded that full scale typically rolls and tumbles at a slower rate than most modelers fly at. When he was pulling out at the bottoms of his maneuvers, I could feel my guts turning to stone in sympathy. It inspired me to get my plane out to the field to see if I could come closer to a scale type presentation.

This was at the annual warbird fly-in in Nashua NH. We had walk-arounds and fly-bys of full scale restored P-47, P-51, P-40, F4U, B-17, B-24, B-25, AT-6, T-28, T-34, PT-17, A-4, an A-10 team and probably a few more I can't think of. Talk about getting your blood running! This was the most aerial excitement I've seen in many years. The angriest sounding engine in the air to my ear was the T28. AT6 had a very penetrating buzz to it. The P47 was surprisingly quiet in fly-by. I'll be back out there again today!
Old 09-25-2005, 02:09 PM
GLflyer

Majortom,

I agree, an awesome show. I stopped by for a few hours to catch the Ultimate's perfomance, it was amazing.

Greg
Old 09-25-2005, 06:27 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

yes - that's about it
now then -take a 8 ounce foamie which will reverse directions in about 2 feet -I wonder what G's are there.
It is all relative -
I saw a guy put a G-meter on a 3DFoamies SuperExtra. He said he got +16 and -12 G's... results from full throttle blenders. He was doing 75MPH going into the blenders.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:33 PM
sillyness

He told us that seven G's was his limit, beyond which the vascular system will either black you out on positive G's or red you out on negative G's.
Pansy I used to go to 6+ Gs ona regular basis... in the pattern.

I've been to 9 Gs occasionally (granted I was wearing a G-suit). Didn't much like anything over 8. Felt like my butt-cheeks were going to split.
Kudos to him on 7 negative Gs... I don't get it. 3 is supposed to be the safe limit, and it kills my head at that. Personally, going over 3 for show is just not worth risking a brain aneurysm.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:47 PM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

Most acro pilots can do 9G's without a G-suit.

I've been flying in the F-16 for about a yr now and routinly do 9g's. The suit helps but not that much. Only about 1 to 2 G's. What it is good for is more of a warning to you that your about to pull G's and as it constricts tighter you can tell your pulling more. It also helps if you find yourself behind the curve. Though it doesn't do much for neg G's. There is the Combat Edge Gsuit which is a helmet/mask/vest/pant combo, but most pilots hate it.

G's are pretty simple, you need to be in shape, cuz your gonna squeeze muscles alot to keep the blood up, and you also need to practice lots at the loads your going to use. If you only do 1-4 G's then try to do 9 its gonna be real hard on you, but if you routinly do 9 then its not so bad.

Remeber the Blue Angels don't wear G suits and routinely pull 7+ G's. Its all about being used to it.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:59 PM
sillyness

So what's with the Buff?
Old 09-26-2005, 01:10 PM
jsm77777
My Feedback: (4)

I have done +5 and -2 G's myself doing some aerobatics. The limit in full scale is the pilot. The planes are designed with a lot of variation in "G" limits. For example, the Pitts S-1S is +6 -5, and the Sukhoi is +-12. I know the Staudacher had a 23 "G" wing, although the "G" limit was less on the airframe rating. Most hard acro is around +8 -5, and that's mostly for airshow, anything more is just wasting energy. Most competiton acro is usually no more than +6 and maybe -4 at the most. Scott
Old 09-26-2005, 05:51 PM
sweetpea01
My Feedback: (10)

My main AC is the Buff.....I've gotten lucky and I get to fly in the F-16 for the next 2-3 yrs then back to the buff