Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

Shockwave pipe selection

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

Shockwave pipe selection

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 08:28 AM
BBuster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shockwave pipe selection

Have a 55" shockwave with stock G-260. Can mufflers don't last more than 5-6 hrs. before stack cracks off.

Horizon is having difficulty finding a listing for a replacement can.

Want to go to a pipe but had questions before I buy the wrong one.

Please rate in order of loundness and also performance. Can, dry,wet.

Have a Walboro 644 carb. Do I or should I change it with a pipe?

No clutch and don't intend on one. For wet is a 'y' off the water pick-up enough to supply the cylinder head too?

Will I need a rear support for the pipe?

I want a wrap to center and have it exit over the deck and under the wing. How do I know what degree header to
order?

Steel or aluminum?

I have 4 rc store sites I've been looking at for pipes and still am not confident in ordering an appropriate set up.

Hardware store now carries Tygon tubing. Is it good for gas? I also plan on trying camp fuel.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58704.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	328569  
Old 09-24-2005, 06:15 PM
jocolo
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Shockwave pipe selection

If the engine is stock the pipe wont make much difference, I had aCooper's pipe on my cracker box and later changed it for an aluminum can, and it went better with the can and it doesnt crack, got it from this guy
http://prophub.tripod.com/
Old 09-24-2005, 07:30 PM
vsop

ORIGINAL: jocolo

If the engine is stock the pipe wont make much difference, I had aCooper's pipe on my cracker box and later changed it for an aluminum can, and it went better with the can and it doesnt crack, got it from this guy
http://prophub.tripod.com/

????????? Are you talking about a tuned pipe.. ? I don't think soo.. Or you never got your engine on the pipe.
A tuned pipe will outperform a regular can anyday of the week long as you have the pipe tuned to the engine.

As far as pipes for shockwave, I would go with a dry adjustable steel 2" pipe with a watercooled exhaust flange header.
There are alot of choices for 2" dry pipes, Your best bet is to take some measurments and get an idea so that your pipe will not be hanging so far off the stern because of the WTC header. You might me able to have the pipe exit through the spoiler with a 100 or 102 degree header but it will be at an angle not straight of the back like with a WTC header
Old 09-25-2005, 08:22 PM
ACLazer

[link=http://p086.ezboard.com/fjimsrcboatdockfrm2.showMessage?topicID=4469.topic]Billet Aluminum Canister Muffler[/link]
Old 09-25-2005, 08:59 PM
vsop

ORIGINAL: ACLazer

[link=http://p086.ezboard.com/fjimsrcboatdockfrm2.showMessage?topicID=4469.topic]Billet Aluminum Canister Muffler[/link]

Notice they were all cans.. Throw a tuned pipe into that group and once the engine gets on pipe it will out do all the cans.. period
Old 09-26-2005, 08:35 AM
BBuster

Ordered an aluminum can from him last night! Thanks for the link!
Can you believe it. 1/8" aircraft quality, aluminum can with double stacks screwed and welded in place delivered to my home for under $30
He is a retired aircraft machinist filling his time. He is making it today and shipping tomorrow
He gives a personnal lifetime guarantee!!
I'll post some pics when I get it.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:25 PM
ACLazer

vsop, the whole idea of the test was to show the difference in "Can Mufflers". Everyone knows that most any Tuned Pipe will out perform a Canister Muffler

Bbuster, your welcome, thats around 50% off Retail Price, thats a REAL Deal

I think we were getting some very respectable speeds from a "Stock 260" and a "Can Muffler"
Old 09-26-2005, 06:31 PM
BBuster

I run in the big boy lake. Have yet to run on 'glass'. It's enough to keep 'er from barrel rolling/flipping. Looks like it's doing 35-40.
Fankly I haven't seen but 1 other rc gas boat in my 40 yrs, and that was 20yrs ago.
Seems I put on a 1 man show when I throw 'er in!!
Got all the bugs worked out of the boat shy of the muffler. If I have to shell out $150 for a pipe I'll do it. But I want to do it right. If a custom made indestructable can with a lifetime warranty for under $30 will work, I'll give it a try
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55807.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	329665