Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Is This Too Much Pitch?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Is This Too Much Pitch?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 10:47 PM
mwallin85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is This Too Much Pitch?

Alright I have been flying my Blade for a few weeks now and I never really liked that I had to give it almost full power to get off the ground so I got the idea to move the servo arms some. At the end each servo there are 3 holes, one on top of the other and then another. The factory set postion was in the middle outside hole so i moved it too the bottom outside hole. This gave me alot more lift which is what i really wanted. But I also noticed that it slowed the main blade speeds and when you look right at the blades when it is running fast they are v-ed upward. So my question is does this hurt anything mechanically or is just going to affect my head speed? I'm a newby so i would just like to know if this is going to be a bad idea or not. The heli seems to fly nice Its just that i lost some blade speed and they are not near as flat as the stock settings.

Thanks for the help!!!
Old 09-28-2005, 12:24 AM
reiffron

Default RE: Is This Too Much Pitch?

i am not an expert but from what i have read more head speed makes it more stable in a hover
Old 09-28-2005, 07:47 AM
mwallin85

The heli is stable when hovering, I have noticed nothing really bad about it flying wise my main question is just if it is stressing anything in the heli itself because of the blades beening so V-ed upward.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:50 AM
reiffron

check your motor temp after every flight if not to hot go for it!
Old 09-28-2005, 07:57 AM
mwallin85

I have noticed that the motor got alittle hotter then it normal but still nothing scary or anything. But I since then I added a second heatsink to the main motor and it seems to always stay cool now.
Old 09-28-2005, 03:27 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

High headspeed/low pitch is always better than High Pitch/Low headspeed.

High headspeed adds more gyroscopic forces making the heli more stable, and more agile. And the lower pitch means less resistance in forward flight resulting in less chance for things like retreating blade stall, etc.

Low headspeed/high pitch results in slower response to pitch and cyclic responses. Also if you are using a low headspeed/high pitch to get the helicopter to lift off, and during maneuvers you need more pitch, two things will most likely happen.

Rapid increase in pitch to +10 degrees, resulting in blade stall due to a high angle of attack, and a rapid decrease in rotor headspeed, where you will actually lose lift instead of gaining it.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:16 PM
mwallin85

I understand all that now but my real question is still though Is the higher pitch hurting anything? I am just a noob and am only interested in hovering and nothing else. The main thing to me is weather or not having such a high pitch is going to hurt the heli mechanically?
Old 09-28-2005, 05:36 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

As long as the motor is not overheating, it should be ok.
There are "possible" long term effects.

Increased wear on rotor head parts due to higher stresses imposed by the high angle of attack pressures on the rotor blades.
Increased wear on the motor due to higher load, and higher amperage draw.
Possible overheating issues due to the load.
Increased wear on the tail rotor as it's having to work harder against the increased torque of the main rotor head.

The most noticable effect though will be the reduction in flight performance, and available power.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:04 AM
sparkling_fist

high pitch can draw too many amps..
also check ur battery..
Old 09-29-2005, 03:34 PM
thecheatscalc

your pitch should never get above 13 degrees, otherwise you'll pull giant amounts of ams burn your motor, plainly just screw up your Rx and batt. ok now if you don't have a pitch gauge or a protractor, try making the bottom of the blades just above flat. that should be more than enough.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:34 PM
mwallin85

I ended up setting everything back to stock and then I turned the pitch control links out one turn. That seemed to do the trick for mine. I can now get off the ground a few clicks past half throatly. Before i would have to be just under full to get it off. Seems to be fine too dont lose much of any head speed.