Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

What's a good way to reinforce a wing on a multi engine plane?

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

What's a good way to reinforce a wing on a multi engine plane?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 01:47 PM
roofus4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's a good way to reinforce a wing on a multi engine plane?

Hey Guys,

I'm bashing a hobbistar 60 into a 4 engine plane. I have most things figured out with the exception of reinforcing the wing, and what engines to use. I had great success turning a Thunder Tiger World Trainer 40 into a twin and didn't reinforce the wing at all, but now with the weight of 2 engines per wing and having them go further out, I'm concerned about the load of a hard landing on the center of the wing. I am looking for an easy and simple way to strengthen the wing as I am not a great builder. The engines are going to be a bit large for that size of plane so I need a strong wing. My 40 size twin has 2 OS .91 FXs on it and it is a ROCKET! I would like this one to have 4 .46s on it but I'm afraid that might just be too much for it. Maybe I should go with 4 OS .32 sx. Any ideas or comments would be appreciated.

Rob
Old 09-29-2005, 02:01 PM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: What's a good way to reinforce a wing on a multi engine plane?

[b]Roof:

What I call my C-3/10 was originally a Hobbistar 60, so we're in the same ball park even though I stopped with two engines. XL 46 magnums, to be specific.

I bored the assembled wing halves to accept a phenolic tube socket for an aluminum pipe as a joiner, and extended the full sheeting past the nacelles. Never a problem, though I did move the main gear to the wings - mounted in the nacelles.

If you also move the mains to the inboard nacelles, and extend the full sheeting past the outboard nacelles you should be fine. Just for "Grins" I'd peel the covering from the root joint and glass it. Or you could also go with a two piece wing using the aluminum tube and socket as I did.

Have fun with yours - mine has survived more than seven years since the bash.

Just incidentally, this plane took second place in MAN's "Great American ARF Bash" contest back in 2002.

Bill.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11733.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	331142  
Old 09-30-2005, 02:34 PM
roofus4

Bill

Thanks for the tip. The guy at the hobby store said to sheet the full wing as well, so it sounds like I'm getting some were. I do plan on glassing the wing root as well. I never thought of the effect moving the gear would have on spreading the load. that is a good idea. I don't think I want to mess with putting an aluminum tube in there. I just don't know if I have the skill for that.

Your C-3/10 Is an awesome looking bash. If you are comparing it to the real Cessna 310, I use to fly a full scale one.

Thanks again.

Rob

Here is a picture of my 40 size trainer with twin OS .91 FX's.

Name:	Pn37268.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	331627  
Old 09-30-2005, 07:33 PM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the covering is going to be off diagonal bracing in each bay inside the outboard engine will greatly stiffen the wing against twist with very little additional weight.

Bill
Old 10-01-2005, 11:27 AM
roofus4

Bill,

Could you explain in greater detail what you mean. Anything that adds strength with little weight is what I'm looking for. I have already stripped the covering off, so that's not a problem.

Thanks for all your help.

Rob
Old 10-01-2005, 11:38 AM
William Robison

[b]Rob:

While I realize you were addressing a different Bill, I have a couple pictures that might help.

Contrast the first picture with the second, which shows the same wing built in a conventional manner.

Bill.

Name:	Jg14176.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	288.8 KB
ID:	332133   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79282.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	332134  
Old 10-01-2005, 01:43 PM
roofus4

Thanks for the pictures Bill.

That helps me understand. Now it looks like one goes straight diagonal, and the other goes diagonal and down to the bottom of the wing, is that right? Is there a set pattern to follow? Will this help resist the wing folding on a hard landing?

The other very interesting thing to me that I would like to ask, and this needs another forum post, but anyway, how do you operate a twin rudder system like you have on the plane in the picture? I am also doing that on this plane. I have a way to do it, but am looking for something cleaner, or just something better.

Thanks

Rob
Old 10-01-2005, 02:19 PM
William Robison

[b]Rob:

How about a hand-holding description of a complete twin tail conversion? With pictures?

Build-n-Flyer_RCU (Walt) did the job on a Twin-Air 45, and posted a good thread about it in the Twins forum.

Do a search for it, should answer all your questions. The manufacturer of the Twin-Air liked it so much the twin tail has been incorporated into the kit as an option in the build.

Bill.