Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

twinstar gone - now what?

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

twinstar gone - now what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 02:29 PM
jschenck
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twinstar gone - now what?

I'll be ther first to ask! Now that the twinstar is gone, what do we do for a cheap twin arf? I'm thinking about getting a global 60H and modifiying it for a pair of 40's, but I'd love to just buy an airplane that has already been engineered. The Pica looks cool - I have no time to build (mid 30's guy - family/job/wife/etc..)

Since there was (is) a demand for a twinstar like plane, has anyone heard if any of the manufacturers are going to produce another simple/cheap twin arf? Maybe take a look at some of the shortcomings of the twinstar and improve it!
Old 10-30-2002, 03:53 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The local hobby shop owner says that the twinstar will be released again with moneykote covering. That would be good if true. That shelf paper was garbage. I dont think it would be hard to scratch build a twinstar. Flight surfaces are 0,0 and the engines are 3 deg down and 3 deg out. I measured mine cause I was impressed with its flight qualities. Especially the engine out capability. To give you an idea, after I did some mods I had an engine out and the other engine was stuck full throttle. Had to run the gas out. That says more about the planes design than my flying abilities. It should be rereleased with improvements.
Edwin
Old 10-30-2002, 05:22 PM
razorback11
My Feedback: (9)

A guy in my club flys a "Kit Bashed" Telemaster 40 with twin OS 46FX engines. It is absolutely an awesome flyer. It will do all the ACRO yet still will fly like a trainer when throttled down. Whoever built it (Club Member bought at swap meet) just rounded off the nose, built twin nacelles on the wing (no offset on the engines), kept the fixed landing gear (mains and tailwheel), addeded flaps (although current owner says lands just as good without flaps) and it is monocoat covered. He does everything with that airplane. Looks and sounds great...makes all at the field stop and watch when he flys it. So, I have gotton hold of a Telemaster 40, and I intend to build the same aircraft. I want to check my plans against his airplane to see if the tail feathers have been altered in any way but I suspect they have not. So basically, someone took an aircraft that already flew well and added another engine...and now it flys extremely well. This could be a good twin trainer. razorback11
Old 10-30-2002, 05:58 PM
Robby
My Feedback: (18)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok,, Twinstar is *G*O*N*E* ... Thats number one..
However, do not dispare... We should be graced reasonably soon
with another ARF Twin that is equeally as good, projected to be
better... Release hopefully before summer...

Robby
Old 11-01-2002, 02:38 AM
Mendes
My Feedback: (1)

I'd love to see the Twinstar re-released, I hope it stays at the same price though. It was downright cheap! I would also like to see some more scale twin engine planes in arf format from Great Planes.

If they do bring back the Twinstar I will be first in line to get one, what else am I going to do with my 3 .25 FX's if I crash the one I have now?
Old 11-01-2002, 04:02 PM
Sawyer692-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I'm a die-hard Twinstar pilot. I have two nib sittin' in my plane room just because they were discontinued. Lets all email Hobbico/Great Planes and request they bring it back.
Old 11-01-2002, 04:36 PM
jschenck

Default greedy!

How about you sell me one of those kits!!

In all seriousness, I can't find one and I would really like to have another twinstar kit. I want to put retracts on my twinstar but don't want to mess with an airplane that is already built.

Here is a picture of my current twinstar - waiting for the $$'s for a pair of OS-30 four strokes and a new radio (don't trust the radio's I have as they've all been "bounced" off the ground)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/sh...papass=&sort=1
Old 11-01-2002, 04:49 PM
Sawyer692-RCU

Tell you what, I'll look around for one for you.

I would love to find a crashed one just so I could use the nacelles and make a quad. Now that would be sweet. Four .25s or .28s!!!

You can see mine at my website below.....
Old 11-01-2002, 05:19 PM
Sawyer692-RCU

http://www.abchobbies.com/aerobatic.html

http://www.tonyshobbyshop.com/airplanes%20hobbico.html

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...light=twinstar

There is also a guy at www.flightlines.com selling one that is built but the price is right..
Old 11-01-2002, 09:29 PM
jschenck

Default all sold out

I tried ABC and Tony's hobby shop - both are sold out. - Thanks for the hints, just the same.

Does anyone know of a twinstar sitting in stock anywhere?
Old 11-01-2002, 11:57 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

I know where 2 are hanging from the ceiling. Both built, one with engines and the other is done up in dark blue with gun turrents and drops a life raft. No engines.
www.discounthobbies.net
Edwin
Old 11-02-2002, 06:03 AM
DESERT RATT
My Feedback: (7)

SAWYER,

it just so happens, I saved the NECELLES off of my dead TWINSTAR. I'll hunt them up. I'm not sure if they're here at the house, the shed, or the store.
I'll PM you when I find them.

DESERT RATT
Old 11-04-2002, 01:57 AM
Sawyer692-RCU

Originally posted by DESERT RATT
SAWYER,

it just so happens, I saved the NECELLES off of my dead TWINSTAR. I'll hunt them up. I'm not sure if they're here at the house, the shed, or the store.
I'll PM you when I find them.

DESERT RATT

SWEET!!!! I'd love to have them. Shame your Twinstar is dead but if I get those nacelles, your Twinstars death will not be in vain. It will make mine a Quadstar.
Old 11-08-2002, 06:58 AM
rslstft
My Feedback: (10)

Default Finding a Twinstar

Try eBay. I found 2 of them on there - bought them both!! Had one with flaps and retracts but the extra weight made an engine out occurance a little too much for my capabilities at the time. Have a "stock" one now with 2 .40LA's and use the other for retracts again as soon as I get the time.
Old 11-11-2002, 04:33 PM
Sawyer692-RCU

Ok, my roomate decided to part with his NIB Twinstar. He wants $140 shipped. I figured I would post it here before going to the "For Sale" forum.

SOLD
Old 11-11-2002, 04:56 PM
paulfromero
My Feedback: (4)

The CATALOG OF "AIRMADILLO" AIRPLANES at www.theairplanefactory.com includes the Kombat twin. It is a nice flying indestructable twin for about what you'd pay for an inexpensive single kit.
Old 11-11-2002, 05:00 PM
paulfromero
My Feedback: (4)

Default Kombat Twin

Here is a picture of the it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	34967_8207.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	20984