Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > 3D Flying!
Reload this Page >

Is the Lanier 1.20 edge a 3D machine?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Flying! Our 3D flying forum is the ultimate resource for 3D flyers. Also discuss the latest in "4D" flying!

Is the Lanier 1.20 edge a 3D machine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 09:09 PM
rdrc MadDog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the Lanier 1.20 edge a 3D machine?

Is the Lanier 1.20 Edge a 3D machine? And if it is can my saito 1.80 with a slimline pitts muffler pull it through every trick in the book?
Old 10-31-2002, 01:11 AM
CAP232CM
My Feedback: (8)

No and uh No.
Old 10-31-2002, 01:48 AM
Barricade696

SORRY BUT NO
Old 10-31-2002, 01:49 AM
Jaco

I was looking at this plane and if you do a search on it some say it will do "ALL 3d manuvers" and others post it won't. Seems to me if it wouldn't 3D with your Saito 1.80 it wouldn't 3D with anything but I really don't know.
Old 10-31-2002, 03:14 AM
Aerosplat
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default From what I have seen ..........

I am currently building (assembling) a Lanier 120 size Edge. The reason I am building one is because I have seen two different ones fly several times. I have seen them perform every 3-D maneuver in the book, and do them very well. One had a YS 120 and the other had an OS 1.60 FX. Both had plenty of vertical for hover and pull-out, Knife Edge loops, Waterfalls, Harrier and all other stunts. They will perform a "Wall" that is literally a 90 degree rotation on the balance point. The planes were very stable and did not have tip stall tendencies. They both landed very gentle and relatively slow. One of the pilots was experienced enough that he did very pretty rolling circles. He also did VERY neat Lomcevacks.
I am not real familiar with the Saito 180, but I imagine it is somewhere between the YS 120 and OS 1.6 in power. I am putting the OS 1.6 on mine.

You will probably get many and varying replies to this question. Just as you will for the same question about the H9 Edge 540T, or just about any other plane. I believe the results largely depend on how the plane is built and how well it is setup. I have seen two Lanier Edges built and setup correctly, and they ABSOLUTELY are true 3-D Animals.
Old 10-31-2002, 03:22 AM
rcavi8ter
My Feedback: (19)

Default My Turn

The Lanier Edge 120 will 3D very well. I can harrier mine around all day. Hover no problem with a YS 120 and pull out great. Mine is close to being worn out but I still fly it more than any other plane I own. I will be replacing it with another one in the future as mine is showing its age. I got mine to teach me how to 3D and it is not a huge investment like I have in my 33% and 35% planes. If I crack it up not a big deal. I have taken the gear out of it several times and it just keeps going. BTW don't forget to take the spoilerons off before you land it does not float well then.

Chris Puckett
Puckett Model Aviation
Old 10-31-2002, 05:06 AM
Pinhead159
My Feedback: (33)

i had the exact plane wiht a saito 180, hovers ok and torque rolls great. harriers a stable, nice blenders. mine did great till my wing disengrated fron inside out. phenolics were never glued into the wing. lanier wouldn't replace the wings, on;y told me to cut em open and fill w/ epoxy. so i flew it till the wings finallay gave out. still have the plane, easily repairable but i will never own another lanier, as for the question, it does all the tricks great and the saito 180 w/ 16*8 prop and 15% fuel pulled mine like crazy
thx
chris
Old 02-28-2004, 08:21 PM
bmur

Default RE: Is the Lanier 1.20 edge a 3D machine?

The wings phenolics on my edge aren't connected to the root rib either. Lanier said it was the way they designed it. I don't have that many flights on mine and the tubes really move around alot. What have people been doing to fix this? Haven't really tried any wild stuff yet because of this. Other than that , I really like the way it flies.
Old 02-29-2004, 08:01 AM
CGAV8R
My Feedback: (2)

I am currently flying the Lanier Edge 1.20. I have an 1.60 on the nose with an 18/6 APC, 10 1/2 lbs.. The plane WILL 3D. Upright and inverted flat spins are very flat. Knife edge spins are easy to enter and rotate very fast around the wing. While in a harrier my wings do rock and my plane requires constant aileron corrections to keep them stable. Walls are easy with no tendency's to snap out. Waterfalls are good. Knife edge requires speed to keep the nose from dropping, my CG is @ 4 1/2 right now. I have flown the plane at 4 3/4 and it is better there. Mine really won't knife edge loop unless you do a huge loop, again the aft CG would help. The plane hovers pretty stable, the ailerons would be more effective in a hover if they went farther to the root, but they work fine. I prefer more rudder authority in a hover than what the edge has, if you start to fall out and don't get the rudder inputs in fast enough, you can't get it back.
I originally had a ZDZ 40B in this plane, if you had asked me this question then, you would have gotten a different answer. The plane flies 3D good at 10 1/2 pounds but, not at 14 with a gasser.
Lanier customer service is not good at all.
I have not had problems with the wing tube.
The 1.80 will work great.
Old 03-11-2004, 01:48 PM
CptCliffhanger
My Feedback: (6)

Yes it will 3D!! Don't let anybody tell you any different! This plane seems to have a bad rep, All I have had is good experience! I have one of the first run kits with all the problems people post about that have since been fixed.. These so-called problems ar not even worth mentioning compared to the incredible preformence of this plane.. This is hands down the best all around 1/4 scale aerobat i have ever flown! Hovers and torque rolls very easily, is very light weight, and flies knife edge and pattern with stability!

I have some videos of mine hovering. It was pretty gusty when these were taken, the plane handles it very well!

http://lunatique.com/stephan/

The last 6 videos are of my Lanier edge! I believe the first one is Knife edge spins.. Wich this plane does very well!
Old 03-12-2004, 03:33 PM
CptCliffhanger
My Feedback: (6)

In response to cap232cm "No and uh No" The question was Is the plane 3d capable, not are you 3d capable..
In respons to can'tfly@all. That ones too easy..AKAKAKAKA

as for rdrcmaddog, I can't recomend a better plane for your saito 180 for the price.. I'm pretty sure the dave patrick is a better model but very expensive.. This is hands down the best flying 1/4 scale arf I've flown. Certainly better than the H9! I'd be glad to answer any questions you have about this plane.. I've got a lot of flights on mine, and it's not comming apart!
Old 03-12-2004, 03:36 PM
peter_m

try the GSP 72" Katana will go well with the 180