Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Tip - Don't be nasty to your Hobby customers

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Tip - Don't be nasty to your Hobby customers

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 09:34 PM
panzerd18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tip - Don't be nasty to your Hobby customers

I really like R/C stuff. I need a hobby to get me outside and away from computer games that take up a large amount of my free time. I live in Melbourne Australia and there are quite a few hobby shops in the city.

So I had a look on the internet for some nice models. engines and a transmitter. I found some hobby shops online and noted the prices however there was this hobby store I knew around the corner from my university (Swinburne in Hawthorn) who also had a website but no price list. So yesterday I decided to walk in my break and have a look.

Me and my friend walked in and said hello. I was having a look at the counter and looking at the radios he had. I saw the radio I wanted to buy and just casually asked him how much he was selling it because there were no price tags. He said $490AUD. It was too expensive as I could have bought it for $440 at another place I knew of. Then I said ok and asked him if he had an engine I wanted to get. He said he had it and it was $190. This again was more expensive than the one I knew being $169. He was pushing me to buy it and said do you want it now and I said no. He then asked why and I told him the truth saying I found a cheaper price for it. He asked how much and I said $169. Then he got really mad and said goodbye and stormed out the back in a rage. My friend and I were stunned and just stood there and proceeded to look at a nice trainer on the wall. About 10 seconds later I hear him screaming out the back, I SAID GOODBYE.

I'm not ever going back there again, I have never been kicked out of a store before. The store, Hawthorn Hobbies has lots of ads in Australian R/C magazines and it look ok but he was just so nasty.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:28 AM
rcfury
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Tip - Don't be nasty to your Hobby customers

That is a real bummer. When i recieve that kind of treatment im going to take my business elsewhere. Now adays hobby shops are slowing deminishing around, and if the only hobbyshop you have left are complete snobs then i can just see where the hobby is going.
I myself am the assistant manager at hobbytown where i live and I do tell my employees that the customers are the only reason we are here. If you give them a hard time we will loose their business. Granted you cant please everybody but, as long you smile and treat people with respect it can go a long way.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:41 AM
The Raven

I'm also in Melbourne and used to go to Swinburne. I knew which hobby shop you were referring to before you mentioned it. That's not the sort of behaviour I would have expected from them (not that I have ever been to that store).

Recently I went to another local hobby shop and asked similar questions regarding a plane and engine I wanted, similar to you the prices quoted were way above average. So, it was worth my time to drive for 40minutes to another store and save myself over $100+ for a new plane/engine.

One thing to be aware of is that not all hobby shops buy their stock at the same prices, primarily because they don't order big quantities to get the wholesale savings other shops do. Given that most of the hobby shops are small operations it's not surprising they can't always compete with those who have more buying power.

For me, I'll buy it at the cheapest shop only if the saving is significant enough to justify me travelling to them. Otherwise I'm willing to spend a few extra bucks by going to the local guy. I try to spread my model purchases around the local shops that really do care because I don't want to see any of them fold. Still, if there is a real saving to be had you can't pass it up.

If you live out the South East side of Melbourne you should try visiting the "South Eastern Model Aircraft Club" (SEMAC). The guys are friendly and can steer you towards some polite/cheap hobby shops.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:28 AM
panzerd18

I wasn't going to tell him why I didn't want to buy it, he was the one that asked and I told him the truth.

The other hobby store is small that I got the quoted prices too, but I think they must order direct from overseas as I asked if they could order a trainer in and they said they order them in large lots direct from the manufacturer or something like that.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:23 AM
The Raven

Most retailers don't order from overseas direct they get it from a wholesaler, who can often arrange bulk buys at favourable prices.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:50 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While there's no reason for getting mad and screaming, it's also rather irritating to tell people in a hobby shop that you can get the same thing cheaper online. A store decides their prices. Unless you are in a place like China, where bargaining is acceptable, you either accept or reject their prices.

If you're serious about buying, decide all the parts you want and write them on a piece of paper. Write down the price you want for the whole package and bring it to the store. Tell the person if they accept your price that you will buy the whole lot immediately.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:30 PM
sbd-5
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

really there is no excuse for this behavior,asking the price on unmarked items does not mean you are comitting to buy said item.also if there is no marked price just how firm was his asking price,sounds like a car salesman.while a little tact could have been used the reaction to the truth is really out of line.after spending 24 years in the fast food industery that type of reaction is in excuseable.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:14 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know what the REAL problem is........everything in this hobby is just too expensive, or I don't have enough money!

I try to buy off the local guy myself.......if it's in stock.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:03 PM
iaclmac

Although I agree with you that you shouldn't have been treated like that. I can understand a store owners frustration. Here in the states I am sure the local hobby shops loose tons of business to the internet. I am sure, being shopped for price all the time can be quite frustrating. Now, having said that, his frustration should have not been vented in your direction. That was totally uncalled for. As for myself, I must admit I do but a lot of things over the net because they are cheaper. However I do try to support my local dealer. I know it costs me more, but, if I have a question he is always there for me. A guess I see it as a wash, but ultimately, price isn't everything.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:53 PM
panzerd18

Yeah they had no prices listed on their website and no prices marked on products inside the hobby store. Also the other prices I was quoting were not for an online store but one that has a small shop who sell their goods over the counter near me also.

Old 10-12-2005, 10:11 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Old 10-13-2005, 11:45 AM
cstevec
My Feedback: (1)

Not long ago a Hobbytown USA opened in Richmond, about 40 miles from where I live. I recently found myself needing some parts for one of my models & paid them a visit. They didn't have the stuff I needed but said he could order it & have it in a few days. Week goes by & I get a call that my stuff is in. I drive the 40 miles to get it & half is missing & the stuff that came in is twice as high as the quoted price. Maintaining my composure as well as I can I asked about a transmitter battery for a cheap Futaba 4 channel I use with my flight sim. The gentleman says he has them and leads me over to the case they are locked up in, no price displayed. I asked to see it & he takes it out, price on the back is $49.95, & this is for a 600 mah bat! I said no thanks that is too much. He none too politely informed me that I didn't have to shop there. I looked at him & thought a moment about the service/prices & said "you are absolutely right." I won't be back. Prices are way high & employees are rude. Not likely to get my business & my business is worth a lot. I fly big planes & I am a compulsive buyer!
Old 10-13-2005, 05:34 PM
Evader 53

I would have went another day and asked to talk to their manager...
Old 10-13-2005, 06:20 PM
panzerd18

The person who runs it is the manager
Old 10-14-2005, 08:43 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

I own a LHS and I agree that above stories are bad. I hope I never reach that point. Let me tell you a story from my side of the counter. On a Tues. a man comes in and wants to buy a engine from me as I show him the engine he tell me that I am $10 over Tower. OK I tell him I'll split the difference. No he says I'll pay Tower price. I thank him for coming in but decline his offer. On Thurs. he's back telling me he needs the engine for the week-end. I give him the same price and he gets mad at me calling me a cheat because I'm $5 over Tower. I offer my phone so he can call Tower and order the engine. No, he says he dosn't want to pay the extra shipping and leaves. Friday comes and he is back telling me he'll pay my price. Now mind you I have kept my mouth shut all week and I look at this customer and ask myself do I want this type as a regular. Well,,,, I raise the price $20 with a smile, he asks why? I say "over night shipping" He did pay the price. Now I see him all the time and if I can meet Tower I will and if I can't my phone is free. Dennis
P.S I did drop the $5
Old 10-14-2005, 02:59 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

I know one thing for sure, and that is that you will not get rich running a hobby shop.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:09 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

I had a dentist piss me off.

I had a concern about the proceedures he was performing. He jsut got up, spouting off that if I had questions or concerns, to call him, and not discuss them during my appointmnet. And he stormed out of the cubicle.

I now have a new dentist, and a bunch of damaged teeth.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:15 PM
The Raven

ORIGINAL: DadsToysBG

I own a LHS and I agree that above stories are bad. I hope I never reach that point. Let me tell you a story from my side of the counter. On a Tues. a man comes in and wants to buy a engine from me as I show him the engine he tell me that I am $10 over Tower. OK I tell him I'll split the difference. No he says I'll pay Tower price. I thank him for coming in but decline his offer. On Thurs. he's back telling me he needs the engine for the week-end. I give him the same price and he gets mad at me calling me a cheat because I'm $5 over Tower. I offer my phone so he can call Tower and order the engine. No, he says he dosn't want to pay the extra shipping and leaves. Friday comes and he is back telling me he'll pay my price. Now mind you I have kept my mouth shut all week and I look at this customer and ask myself do I want this type as a regular. Well,,,, I raise the price $20 with a smile, he asks why? I say "over night shipping" He did pay the price. Now I see him all the time and if I can meet Tower I will and if I can't my phone is free. Dennis
P.S I did drop the $5
While some will disagree with you I don't. You made a fair offer up front to get the business yet the buyer failed to recognise this.

Some buyers are so focused on the cost they ignore the reality of what they are doing: wasting everyones time, wasting effort chasing a few dollars saving, forgetting that the convenience of you being there with the item is a better trade off than waiting a week to save a few dollars.

Nothings worse than being strung along for a sale, then to get a lesser sale than expected, but have the customer demand red carpet treatment. If they want low prices and limited service, they should buy online and put up with the inconvenience of not having a local supplier.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:23 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

As a store owner I can only offer one thing and that is service. I fly what I sell and I am at the field every Sunday flying with the same people I sell too. I travel during the flying season to fly-ins in the area. I'll also service items that I did'nt sell. If I'm a dealer for the item and you need help. I'll do what I can to make you happy. Ther's nothing better for me then to see the look on the face of a new flyer when he makes his first landing without the buddy box. Sure I took his money and I'll get more, but that look has no price tag. At that first landing we became friends first, customer second and that's why I keep the store open. You don't like my price OK I'll still give you a cup of coffee and sit down and talk RC. If I put the hobby and the local clubs first the store will take care of it's self. This has worked for 10 years already. Dennis
Old 10-15-2005, 08:52 AM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

That prices were not displayed leads me to believe that he is being undersold a lot and trying to avoid comparative shopping. That he is overly sensative to this makes me believe it even more. He probably won't last long in the business and there may very well be to many shops in your area for the amount of business available.

I got out of retail because dealing with the public can really suck. My favorite was when someone would say that they saw something for $20 dollars less down the street but they were out of them. I'd always respond that when we were out of them they were $40 dollars less.

People don't realize how retail works. On average if a store buys something for $1 they need to sell it for $2. This is the standard margin in clothing, furniture and many other retail businesses. Now some items are lower and some higher but to pay the rent, utilities, payroll and still make a profit you need to double your money at retail. The average modeler probably thinks this is a rip off but if you want to go into a store and see a lot of stuff on the shelf and have the store around for a long time it is the reality of business. Unfortunately most hobby stores can't maintain this profit margin due to Internet sales and other competition and it makes it a lousy business to be in.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:12 PM
spitmad

I feel your pain brother,
I was in the store recently looking for a replacement needlevalve for an OS engine and received a similar reception (one of "couldn't be bothered.....go somewhere else...you didn't buy it from me so bugger off" attitude) , I have been into this store numerous times over the years and find the proprietor (who shall remain nameless) one of the most rude, arrogant and unhelpful store owners imagineable, not only to myself but to lots people I know who have experience the same problem.
I suggest you steer well clear of Hawthorn Hobbies, however I can recommend you go to see Roj at Roj's hobbies in Fairfield or Addies in Carrum, both Roj and Addie are helpfull, reasonably priced and good to talk to.

ORIGINAL: panzerd18

I really like R/C stuff. I need a hobby to get me outside and away from computer games that take up a large amount of my free time. I live in Melbourne Australia and there are quite a few hobby shops in the city.

So I had a look on the internet for some nice models. engines and a transmitter. I found some hobby shops online and noted the prices however there was this hobby store I knew around the corner from my university (Swinburne in Hawthorne) who also had a website but no price list. So yesterday I decided to walk in my break and have a look.

Me and my friend walked in and said hello. I was having a look at the counter and looking at the radios he had. I saw the radio I wanted to buy and just casually asked him how much he was selling it because there were no price tags. He said $490AUD. It was too expensive as I could have bought it for $440 at another place I knew of. Then I said ok and asked him if he had an engine I wanted to get. He said he had it and it was $190. This again was more expensive than the one I knew being $169. He was pushing me to buy it and said do you want it now and I said no. He then asked why and I told him the truth saying I found a cheaper price for it. He asked how much and I said $169. Then he got really mad and said goodbye and stormed out the back in a rage. My friend and I were stunned and just stood there and proceeded to look at a nice trainer on the wall. About 10 seconds later I hear him screaming out the back, I SAID GOODBYE.

I'm not ever going back there again, I have never been kicked out of a store before. The store, Hawthorne Hobbies has lots of ads in Australian R/C magazines and it look ok but he was just so nasty.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:53 AM
The Raven

I second the vote for Rojs Hobbies and Addies Hobbies. Both offer great service. I buy a lot of stuff through both of those stores.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:33 AM
Stiks

Roj's hobbies got my vote. Haven't got anything from them yet but I placed my first order today. Where I live there are no real hobby shops close by I have to drive 2hrs to get to a decent stocked one so the net is my access to my supplies. On friday I emailed Roj for a price on freight, within 15min i had a reply. The price was good so I then asked for the prices on a few different items that I would also be needing and a support question about some Lipos. Roj had the details back to me the first thing sat morning with all the prices and answers that I'd asked for. I live a couple of thousand kms from his shop yet he treated me like a customer that had actually walked into his shop. This is one store operator that understands a net customer should be treated no different to someone that walks in off the street.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:35 AM
panzerd18

Its funny you say that because the $169 was a price quoted from Roj's Hobbies. It is the best store i've found. I went ahead and bought all my gear and spent over $1000 on the weekend at Roj's. He was so nice he even through in a few parts for free and gave me a discount. For the price and excellent customer service at Roj's I will keep going back thats for sure!!!

I havn't heard of Addies Hobbies.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:50 AM
The Raven

Rojs definitely has the best prices. The closest prices are from Col Taylor, whom I haven't dealt with.

$169.........That would be the OS 46AX then. Another store quoted me $200 which I passed on. The same store also quoted $250 for an ARF I got from Rojs for $185.

Addies doesn't quite match Rojs prices but the service is there. If you want it then he will get it for you.

Roj is also very good with warranty claims (although they are primarily the wholesalers responsibility). He did a warranty claim on an item I never bought from him. I was honest and said as much but he knew I was buying lots of other things from him.

The only problem I have with Rojs is struggling past all the stock to get to the counter. Some days there is barely room to move.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.