Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Giant Big Stik Arf, another impression

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Giant Big Stik Arf, another impression

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 02:47 PM
Piper Pilot
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Giant Big Stik Arf, another impression

Well, I finished my Great Planes Giant Big Stik Arf, and have about 12 flights on it to date. The plane is a very solid flyer with the Fuji-32B engine. I have only tried the APC 18x8 prop so far and it seems to work very well pulling through all of the verticals. I installed Futaba 9202’s on all control surfaces powered by a 6volt pack. The plane hasn’t been weighed because I really don’t care……it’s a Stik! Mine required no weight to balance because I installed the battery behind the wing and adjusted until the plane balanced. I hit it right on the head because when flying inverted it requires just a touch of down, and the plane spins very well. The plane is a blast to fly, and will do everything the smaller Stiks will do. The Giant Stik is a low pass machine because the plane is so stable in roll you can put it right on the deck if you choose. It really reminds me of the Giant Sweet & Low Stik I built in 1988 except maybe slightly better.
The Good

1. The arf is a great value that provides you with a fantastic fun flyer.
2. Good instruction booklet with a few very minor mistakes.
3. Packaged very nicely.
4. Plenty of engine options described in the instructions.
5. Very quick assembly time.
6. High quality hardware supplied nice heavy-duty control horns.

The Bad

1. For the tail dragger configuration the front mounting area plate that is predrilled in the fuse for the main gear is way to far back for good ground handling. Easily resolved by installing a new plate in front of the former and remounting the gear. The axle is about ½” behind the leading edge which seems to be perfect. The plane will not tip on the nose, yet tracks down the runway with no effort.
2. Too many wrinkles that take forever to shrink out.
3. Lack of any hardware for mounting the gas engine option other than the really nice standoffs they provide.
4. Wing bolt mounting plate should have some nice tri-stock installed to help strengthen the joint.
5. The rudder and elevator 4-40 pushrods installed as shown have way to much flex and is a source for vibration that will result in failure. This was easily fixed by installing carbon pushrods over top the 4-40 rods for a pushrod with zero flex.
6. Installing flaps on a Stik is almost pointless, in my opinion. It’s hard to enjoy them on a plane that will fly backwards before stalling in the stock configuration. In other words, solid design as is, no need to change it.
7. Plywood supplied for gas motor mounting seemed soft and allowed the bolts to crush. I made the mount out of some good aircraft plywood.

The Stiks are some of my favorite airplanes to fly. They have proven to be a rock solid aerobatic trainer that builds confidence quickly. While also providing the seasoned pilot a weekend flyer to wring out every weekend with lower emotional value. Great Planes has proven once again that a Stik is a fantastic flyer in any size or configuration. The bad things listed were mostly minor and did not diminish my opinion of this model, I like it!
Old 10-11-2005, 02:56 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Giant Big Stik Arf, another impression

I have to agree with you there PP. I really like it too!
Old 10-11-2005, 06:35 PM
Stik-n-Rdr

Good write up Piper Pilot, very informative.

I had the Big Stik 60 and the Ultra Stick 120 Lite. I liked the Big Stik more, looks wise. You bring up a good point about flaps, but I'd have to go with em anyways. Gotta have some reason for owning my computer radio....
Old 10-11-2005, 10:50 PM
Piper Pilot

I agree with you about the flaps, since they are already built you pretty much have to install them. They are fun to mess with I guess, so what the heck.

The other "Good" thing about the Giant Big Stik I forgot to add is the two piece wing. It really makes the transporting and storage alot easier, GP did a good job with adding it to the design.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:05 AM
Barry Cazier
My Feedback: (17)

Piper Pilot...Nice review on the Stick. It gives me a feel for this airplane.

I have the Ultra Stick Lite and really like it. Especially when I haven't flown for a while and for the first flights in the spring. I don't have a trainer anymore, this is what I fly.

THanks
Barry
Old 10-12-2005, 12:58 PM
hankpajari

Hi

Just finishing mine. I used a RCIGN modified G38. He puts a mounting cup on them so I ended up mounting the engine from the inside out. This meant I couldn't use the gas tank crutches they provided. Instead I used open cell foam. Came out awesome! Haven't tried to balance it yet. Like your idea of moving the battery back and will try it.

I have Hitec 5945's on the flying surfaces and 5645's on the flaps.

I agree on the covering, really nasty wrinkles. Also on mine it looks like they didn't sand the flying surfaces before covering so all the grain shows through. These are minor problems though, considering the price of the kit.

One question, where did you balance yours?

Thanks
Old 10-12-2005, 01:21 PM
Piper Pilot

I balanced mine per the CG tech notice/manual notice, maybe just slighty further back.

For the battery I made a box for it and kept sliding it backwards until the balance looked right. After I marked the location I just used some epoxy and glued the box to the fuse. It's not easy to get to, but it's a brand new JR Pro 5cell pack so it will be a while before I need to get to it....hopefully.

Mine was barley sanded also, my Little Tony was the same way. The overall quality is not very high on any of the Great Planes arfs that I have seen, but the lower price keeps them attractive to the consumers. Also, all of the GP arf's seem to be very good flyers so that helps the rough spots on the airframe look slighty better.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:10 AM
rmw00

I have a Moki 1.8 looking for a home. Do you think the Giant Big Stick would work?
Old 10-13-2005, 09:18 AM
MinnFlyer

I think the Moki 1.8 would be great.

I balanced Mine a 7" instead of the recommended 5 7/8
Old 10-13-2005, 12:01 PM
hankpajari

You know, it's funny. My GP Giles was well sanded and the covering is outstanding. Looks great. It had a lot of other, well documented problems though. Great flying airplane, hope the Ugly stik flies as well!
Old 10-13-2005, 01:41 PM
Piper Pilot

I agree, the Moki would work fine. The Moki is a great engine with lots of power.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:24 AM
Alexdu
My Feedback: (3)

Thanks for the review. I read it at a good time as I am considering getting this plane with a Zenoah 26. One question, the manual states that with most gas engines the plane would have to be built as a taildragger. Is it absolutely neccesary? I would really like to keep the tricycle landing gear.

Thanks

Alex
Old 10-30-2005, 08:59 AM
cpatrick

GOOD MORNING! JUST FOUND YOUR "ANOTHER IMPRESSION REVIEW" VERY NICE...JUST ASKING FOR YOUR OPINION, HAVE A DA50 AND WANTING A FUN FLY PLANE FOR IT. WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THE COMBO? HAVE IT NOW IN A DAVE PATRICK EXTRA, BUT WANT SOMETHING LIGHTER ON THE WING...WE FLY AT 5000 FT. AND WINGLOADING IS A SERIOUS CONSIDERATION...I'M CONCERNED ABOUT THE SURVIVABILITY OF THE TWO PIECE WING..ANY COMMENTS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.. PAT
Old 10-30-2005, 12:54 PM
MinnFlyer

I was going to say that a DA50 would be too big, until I read that you were at 5000 ft.

It may be worth a shot
Old 11-21-2005, 01:21 PM
hankpajari

Hi

Finally got around to balancing my Stik this weekend. Needed only 1 oz. of lead IN THE NOSE! Bear in mind I have a G38 installed. But I guess since it is a RCIGN conversion enough weight was taken off the engine it balanced fine. I honestly expected to add a lot of weight to the tail.

Now if I can just break out long enough to fly it.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:18 PM
Flying Arrow
My Feedback: (6)

Hi Hank,

I would like to make a point regarding flaps since you need it for dive breaks, tight loops. short takeoffs, harriers, rapid rolls .. etc. Try to have elevator to flaps and aliron to flaps mixing and crow, so you can appreciate the fun of this plane!

BTW your info regarding the stik made me think of getting one. Thank you
Old 11-21-2005, 10:51 PM
hankpajari

Thanks, a guy I work with put crow on his Ultra Stick. Took him a while to figure out how. I may try once I have the Giant Stik trimmed and flying. Right now I would like to get it in the air so I don't have to wish all winter

Old 12-08-2005, 09:05 AM
cpatrick

JUST GOT MY GIANT BIG STICK A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO. I HAD MENTIONED A DA50 FOR POWER BUT HAVE BURNED UP IGNITION FOR NOW..SO WAITING FOR FUNDS TO REPLACE THAT WITHOUT GETTING INTO CHRISTMAS BUDGET! I HAVE MODIFIED THE CONTROL SURFACES EXTENSIVLEY BY MORE THAN DOUBLING THE AREA OF ALL MOVEABLE SURFACES...I HAVE FLOWN A MAGIC FOR QUITE A FEW YEARS AND HAVE OFTEN WONDERED ABOUT A GIANT SCALE OF THAT BIRD...WELL IT'S ALMOST READY BUT HANGING A SAITO 150 ON THE NOSE IT NOT GOING TO BE CLOSE TO BALANCING..I'VE GOT THREE SERVOS IN THE TAIL, EXPECTING A GAS ENGINE TO BALANCE, BUT WILL HAVE TO WAIT... IF SOMEONE WILL REPLY ABOUT ADDING A PICTURE, THEN I WILL SHOW YOU THE ENLARGED SURFACES......THANKS
Old 12-08-2005, 09:12 AM
chuck l
My Feedback: (17)

About how many hours does it take to put this ARF together?
Old 12-08-2005, 10:04 PM
cadconversions
My Feedback: (21)

cpatrick,

Click on "post reply" instead of using the fast reply at the bottom. Right below where you enter the text it says, "Click here to upload" and that's where you do it.

Now get those pics to us!
Old 12-09-2005, 10:25 AM
MinnFlyer

cpatrick, read this post to learn how to post pics:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2629917/tm.htm
Old 12-10-2005, 10:25 AM
cpatrick

HEY MINNFLYER, THANKS FOR THE INFO. WILL TAKE SOME PICTURES THIS MORNING AND TRY TO POST THEM....JUST GOT WORD THAT A G38 I HAD LOANED OUT , WILL BE RETURNING TO ME THIS WEEK, SO I WILL TAKE OFF THE SAITO AND INSTALL IT...SHOULD HELP THE BALANCE PROBLEM A BIT...I AM SURE THE "STOCK" PLANE IS A GREAT FLYER, BUT I ALWAYS HAVE TO MODIFY JUST TO SEE WHAT IT WILL DO..I LIVE IN ALBUQUERQUE, NM AND FLY AT 5000 FT...ALWAYS NEED MORE POWER AND MORE CONTROL ...YEE HAW , AINT THIS FUN....CPATRICK
Old 12-10-2005, 12:19 PM
cpatrick

tHIS IS A TEST TO UPLOAD PICS
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88208.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	367800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg18181.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	367801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv54067.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	367802  
Old 12-10-2005, 01:06 PM
cadconversions
My Feedback: (21)

cpatrick,

You have a disease! Really good job on the extended control surfaces.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:41 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I think the Moki 1.8 would be great.

I balanced Mine a 7" instead of the recommended 5 7/8

---------------------

I have the Giant Big Stik ARF NIB and am thinking over engine choices.

I have a NIB Super Tigre G2300. I'm sure it will fly the model, but I'm not sure just how it will fly it. Any predictions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.