Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

broken muffler.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 09:35 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default broken muffler.

This muffler is off my quadra 35cc. Since this piece has broken off, the engine has obviously gotten louder but it also seems to have more power. The noise is not an issue where I fly, I was just wondering if the loss of backpressure might cause any problems with the engine. I seem to remember reading that running an engine without a muffler could burn a hole in the piston. Would this happen? Would this happen if the muffler has broken a larger outlet hole in it like mine? If I should fix it, any suggestions? I have some JB weld that's good to 600 degrees, how hot can I expect the muffler to get? So, what should I do?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59324.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	340965   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14666.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	340966   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq35608.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	340967  
Old 10-19-2005, 08:58 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: broken muffler.

You need to contact Walt in Indiana. He does excellent work and has fixed my aluminum mufflers over the years. I know he is on here you may do a search for walt in indiana (Portage I think). I am not at home so I don't have his address on me. I think it is [email protected] or something like that.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:21 PM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

Hi GINMF,
The broken pipe reduced back pressure and the engine may have leaned out a little as a result. Readjust your high speed needle. Lean it out until it peaks and then back it off a feww hundred rpm. It will get leaner after it unloads in the air. Fryed engines can be caused when the engine runs too lean with no back pressure. Get a nice aluminum muffler from B&B Specialites, Ken Lambert or Wackerengines.com. It will be quiter and produce good power.

Dave
Old 10-19-2005, 06:43 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

I did notice that I had to readjust my high speed needle valve after this piece broke off. I guess that explains why. I probably will just get a new muffler, but will this one be alright for now as long as it is set rich enough?