Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

First Flight Comp Arf 2.6 YAK-55SP

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

First Flight Comp Arf 2.6 YAK-55SP

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 08:57 PM
propwashed
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Flight Comp Arf 2.6 YAK-55SP

WOW!!!! Today was the day. I was finally able to put the Yak in the air. The only thing I can say is Holy $%^@. This has got to be the best flying plane I've had in 15 years. I have to say I was a bit nervous of the outcome of it's first flight so instead of going to the local club field I decided to fly on my property. I didn't want to fall victim to humiliation at the local field if something ugly happened. Fired up the 3W 106 took a couple of breaths and let it go. The roll out required minor, if any, rudder correction and it was airborn at 1/2-3/4 throttle in about 100 ft. I let it track straight out and up on shallow climb. I was waiting for trim correction. None needed initially for what I felt was clean level flight. Grabbed some altitude and did some rolls, loops, inverted and knife edge. I have to say I was amazed at how well it tracked and held position in inverted flight as well as knife edge. Very little coupling. At this point my heart was racing so If I was making corrections I wasn't concious of it. I wanted to find out what the stall was like so I grabbed some alt and dropped the throttle. The plane never even came close to a tip stall. It stalled clean and gentle over the nose at a crawl. I now knew the landing would be cake. Considering there was no relative wind I was impressed at the "Floatyness" of this big bird. After about 5min of general flying around I decided to land. Lowered throttle turned base, lowered throttle turned final and watched it float in. Probablly one of the softest landings I ever had. This is one Awsome!! plane. No 3D today just wanted to get the monkey of my back and fly this bad boy.

I do have a question. As soon as I roll to inverted flight, The engine bogs. And then comes back immidiately when I roll back to level flight.
Is this a supply problem? It doesn't seem like it could be because it happens right away. Comments welcome please on what I hope is a quick fix. This is my first 100cc engine. so some tuning info would be helpful.

Thanks, Tripp
Old 10-20-2005, 09:49 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

Default RE: First Flight Comp Arf 2.6 YAK-55SP

Prop, sent you a pm on the fix for the burble. How did the balance come out?
Old 10-20-2005, 10:01 PM
propwashed

I did go ahead and move the engine out 1/2" from firewall. It know balances about 3/4" to 1" behind wing tube. It flys and handles excellant. The landings are perfect slow and stable. I was very impressed at how well and slow it lands.

BTY here's my drawing of the graphics going on the yak
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42306.gif
Views:	14
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	341792  
Old 10-21-2005, 05:54 AM
stomper
My Feedback: (20)

Thanks for the post Prop!
This should get me off my butt and get my Yak done. I'm not going to fast on this one.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:07 AM
yzman
My Feedback: (2)

I have just ordered a new 106 am wondering what the fix is for the invrt. burble I may have that problem also? Sounds like a great first flight keep it up.
Old 10-21-2005, 09:20 AM
propwashed

Flyinrazorback thinks it's too rich on the bottom, which I as well think it is, The other possibility is that the carb vent hose may need clean air from inside the fuse. And then there's the engine is still new and give it time. I'm gonna make low end adjustments before I change the venting.

Tripp
Old 10-21-2005, 09:29 AM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

It is definitely too rich on th ebottom end... this is a classic scenario on that engine. The trick is to run it on the ground so that a rapid transition (like moving the throttle stick as fast as you can! ) from idle to WOT is very crisp... lean the low end until it just stumbles on transition ... and then richen one screwdriver blade thickness at a time until the stumble goes away.... get it right and you will have the best running 100cc class engine out there. I have a QQ106... work of art! Smoothest running engine I have ever had... (most expensive too!) ...

Good job on the maiden.... ! Now its time to have some fun! One of, if not THE best 100cc plane out there.....
Awesome scheme... be careful on the weight though... it does not take much paint or vinyl to add pounds and kill the performance on these planes!

DP

Old 10-21-2005, 10:56 AM
ramrod
My Feedback: (43)

Hey Tripp - congrads on your 1st flt of the 2.6 YAK - glad it went real well for ya. I just tested mine yesterday and am very happy with it - she flys like a dream for sure ! Thanks again to the great deal from Mike and the fine job he did on putting it all together - Great job Mike !! After 2 great normal flts I started to SPANK it some on the 3rd flt and she performed wonderful !! Does beautiful upright and inverted flats, harriers, knife edge loops, shoulder snapps, waterfalls, etc.... and lands like a trainer too ! The DA-100 rules and has wonderful unlimited power and it is also brand new with just a 27x10 woody on it. Real anxious to get out and have some more FUN with my new baby ASAP !! Keep havin FUN and enjoy - love your color scheme !! [8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44657.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	341959  
Old 10-21-2005, 09:53 PM
propwashed

Thanks for the replys. Glad to here yours is flying great also. I'll be doing some serious flight testing this weekend tweaking and tuning the radio.

Have fun

Tripp
Old 10-25-2005, 08:19 AM
Airo-RCU
My Feedback: (16)

Hi; Here's another reason why your engine might hesitate while inverted. Your vent tube coming from your fuel tank should come out of tank and turn it directly to top of tank, to the rear of tank and then turn it toward the front of tank (secured witk your tank tie-downs) and then vent out of plane. Make sure you do not put any kinks in the vent tube. I hope this helps.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:34 AM
propwashed

Thanks, I got the problem figured out. It was the low end mixture. I dialed it in on Sunday and the engine is performing awsome!!! Still in break-in mode so I'm taking it easy. The vertical seems unlimited. I've never had a plane of any type land so soft and effortlessly.