Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

3W vs DA

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 04:15 PM
T. Bob
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3W vs DA

I thought the subject would get the moderators excited.
But I have a question.
Why do 3Ws need velocity Stacks and DAs don't.
I have owned both, and the 3Ws flew better with the stack when the DA ran well without.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:02 PM
flyinrazrback
My Feedback: (69)

Default RE: 3W vs DA

Not all of the 3ws require the velocity stack or the tube into the fuse, it just depends on what kind of airflow is going around the carb in specific airframes. Also, most of the 3ws come with a tilotsen carb, which are more sensitive than the walbro that is on the DA. The DAs carb you can be close and it is fine, but on a tilotsen on a 3W, you got to be nats ass on it. I have had several 3ws run well without them, but even on the planes I dont use the intake, I run the line back in the fuse. Have had DAs that did the same thing, ran a line and fixed the problem.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:43 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 3W snorkel or fuel pump pressure diaphragm vent need is airframe or more specifically cowl/baffling model specific requirement IMO. This device or concept provides constant pressure on the atmosphere side of the fuel pump diaphragm preventing the carb from realizing ever changing static air pressure within the cowl; which acts upon the fuel delivery needs weather its required or spuriously.

I install the 3W snorkel my DA engines as well as 3W’s, in fact there is some sort of vent on all my gas engines.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:00 PM
Ronbo
My Feedback: (12)

My DA150 had the schnorkel when i bought it used. probably need it as the Ultimates cowl lets the carb be in the airstream. i should find out soon how it works.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:56 AM
Flip and Fly

ORIGINAL: flyinrazrback

Not all of the 3ws require the velocity stack or the tube into the fuse, it just depends on what kind of airflow is going around the carb in specific airframes. Also, most of the 3ws come with a tilotsen carb, which are more sensitive than the walbro that is on the DA. The DAs carb you can be close and it is fine, but on a tilotsen on a 3W, you got to be nats ass on it. I have had several 3ws run well without them, but even on the planes I dont use the intake, I run the line back in the fuse. Have had DAs that did the same thing, ran a line and fixed the problem.
When I was tuning my new 3W 80xi for low speed needle setting I found the Tillotson carb to be very sensitive, a little to rich and the motor would not have a consistant Idle. It would not quit but it would run up RPMs. This would make it very difficult when setting up for landings. Too much speed! Set right it was very good. More sensitive than the Walbro carbs I am use to. I like the fuel pump diaphram vent and I will be running a line into the fuse, why not. Save some tuning problems later.