Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Wheel and tire questions...and handling?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 11:54 PM
tmodlin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel and tire questions...and handling?

I am looking for wheels that have a different offset to hopefully improve my savage25's handling in the corners. I like the look of the bigger sidewall so I would rather not get the 40 series. I am also looking for different tires. I put my friends tires from his LST on the other night and liked it alot but would still like a wheel with more of an offset without having to buy the 23mm hex adapters.

I am also looking for any other tips or tricks that would improve handling without lowering the truck at all. I dont race, I only bash at a local BMX track or a construction site.

Thanks in advance,
Tim
Old 11-09-2005, 07:41 AM
itzy

Default RE: Wheel and tire questions...and handling?

*T* look on my profile page or whatever its called theres a pict of rims n tires I am running,
there 6ins tall and 3.something wide on a 5 spoke rim, like you I just bash and do the construction site thing
but these tires grip like crazy and have enough offset so that even though theres a higher center of gravity it
still sticks to the cornering.
Only issue I have noticed is the stock plastic spur gear wearing out, of which I will concour one way or the other
the stock tire is in the middle of the second pict
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29924.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	351263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29523.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	351264  
Old 11-09-2005, 08:14 AM
gerwen

Actually those wheels may be causing your spur gear problem. They did on mine. They are too big and heavy causing the clutch to slip and heat up, melting the spur.

You can try lowering the gearing, that might help. Even with an aluminum sliding clutch, running on grass with those tires melted a spur. Since i removed those wheels, i haven't lost a spur. They look awesome and jump great, but they're too much for my SS4.6
Old 11-09-2005, 09:15 AM
imdjenk

If you take out the preload spacers out of the shock springs, it will lower the savage just a tad and will help reduce rollovers. I know you said you don't want to lower but it doesn't lower it much.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:31 AM
speedfreak1234

i use the stock MGT tires on my savage and they are the best tires i have run so far they have loads of grip and make in air control easyer. they do however make the truck easyer to tip round corners but sice i remover the spacers it doesnt tip as much. and because they are tall tires removing the spacers doesnt make the truck any lower then using stock tires with spacers.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:32 PM
savage - LTD

HEY GUYS--

I just got revo rims and tires for my savage--

will these tires preform well in mud and bashing

are these rims strong??

has anyone ever heard of revo rims and tires on a savage??

will these new tires effect my spur gear because they are slightly larger??
Old 11-09-2005, 03:01 PM
azzman

Hiya,
I have gone to these rims on my SS http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJFJ6&P=7
With the stock (for SS) Dirt Bonz tyres, I have also gone with trinity 3 piece foams and I like the combination, def more stable.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:08 PM
Bash-m-up
My Feedback: (7)

Revo rims will narrow your stance a little bit but should handle terrains well. Let us know how the handling department goes.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:21 PM
azzman

Revo rims will narrow your stance a little bit...
Not a good thing in the Savage....
Old 11-09-2005, 03:28 PM
savage - LTD

Not a good thing in the Savage---

narrow the stance??
Old 11-09-2005, 03:44 PM
azzman

IMHO the Savage benefits from a track(width) increase and not a decrease as Bash-m-up has pointed out the Revo rims will do. (I cannot confirm if this is correct tho)
The track on my Savage has increased by approx one inch overall with the RPM Monster Spider wheels.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:48 PM
Bash-m-up

Yeah, the savage already has a high CG as it stands, by narrowing the stance, which the revo wheels will do, but only about an inch if that, will multiply how noticable the high CG will be. The reason the revo wheels will narrow the stance is because the revo suspesion geometry actually handles better will a negative offset wheel in comparison to the savage wheels. (I know the revo isn't really negative offset but it is offset more toward center than that of the savage.) With all that being the case the savage may tend to want to rollover more easily. Just let me know, my son also bought some new revo style wheels and has yet to run them for the shear fact of this.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:49 PM
podge_87

i used the revo wheels and tyres for a while on my savage and loved em, only stopped running then because i ripped the tyres off the rear rims while bashing, planning on puttin new tyres on the rims, are the tyres normal 40 series in which case i will get dirt bonez or will i have to get the stock revo tyres.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:53 PM
Bash-m-up

Good to hear, thanks for that tid bit of info, my son will be happy.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:56 PM
Polar_Bus

A stock Savage corners like a shopping cart loaded with bowling balls. The key factors are simple drop the CG a bit, and run a "forgiving" tire and foam setup. Firm Pro-Line foams, and pin style tires work the best, BUT pin style tires are expensive, and dont last. I love my Imex Claw Dawgs, and Pro-Line firm foams. You want your Savage to slide a bit (but controllable) entering hard into corners. The stock Savage tires' sidewalls "roll under" way to much, which prematurely causes frequent roll overs. The lower you go on CG, the harder you will be able to corner, BUT remember, a lower CG also means dragging the bottom of the chassis all the time over obsticles. It's all about compramise.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:04 PM
Bash-m-up

Yeah I got to agree with polar, I have pics of mine in my gallery, I did the LCG sus. mod and run the Vantage HX3 wheel tire combo. These really impressed me on the road and even more in the dirt, I really just bash mine at the BMX track and anywhere a ramp can be made. I have yet to really bottom out and damage anything though, and since the mod and wheel/tire the handling has improved 10 fold. I use to rollover constantly, now it's next to never. Just my 2 cents though.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:17 PM
crop

i have to agree it's a huge difference after the LCG mod is done.i'v been using REVO tires and wheels when running on asphalt ,with LCG and combination of these low profile tires, the savage turns more sharply and launch faster when out of cornering.but it lost traction in mud,very hard to control because the tires spined and lost bite of the ground, we called this "drift tires".it was fun to watch this "drifting monster" anyway,wooh,huge.

Name:	Xv64875.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	351599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35162.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	351600  
Old 11-10-2005, 12:24 AM
tmodlin

Thanks everybody for your advice. I like the RPM monster sliders because of the offset they have but I would like a little wider rim too. I know I am being picky but I dont have a lot of money to waste and would like to buy wheels/tires once instead of trying a few different types.

I am definitely going to go with a different tire foam because the Savage ones plain suck.

Itzy- what brand tires/wheels are those? I am not too worried about melting spurs as I rarely go in the grass or try to take off on a hill.

I am also gonna research this LCG suspension mod(assuming it is not just removing the shock clips) and see what it all entails.

Again, thanks for the tips/help. Any more are greatly appreciated.
Tim
Old 11-10-2005, 02:42 AM
crop

i inserted a length of fuel tube in the shock and had it mounted onto the shock shaft right beneath the piston to limit the down stroke. the length of tube depends on how much lower you desire.there are two points that need pay attention to.one is to find a tube that's as hard as possible because soft ones got torn up very easily. the other is there's no need to do this mod to all 8 shocks,just applying to one shock at each corner will be enough,it will also save you a lot of time.this is the method i did,maybe not the best way.
only one issue , it's very time cost to shift back to normal length when you need to bash.
another way is to drill a hole at the far end and lower part of the a-arm afer a few cut job is done.again where the hole locates depend on you.note that you'll need the mod with combination of wheels with offset,otherwise the edge of the standard wheel would interfere with the ball end when steering.
that's what i did,correct me if any wrong.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:43 AM
azzman

If you only have to do that mod to four shocks then why not buy 4 more shocks and have them setup for standard ride height, that way when you bash its quicker for a change over. Stock shocks aint that expensive, and as a bonus you have spares if anything breaks.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:17 AM
crop

that's a nice compromising solution i tried before, but i love the HPI threaded shocks so much that i can't bear watching the 4 stock shocks on my savage.[&o]thanks anywayseems i do need a set of shock towers with multy mounting holes
Old 11-10-2005, 01:06 PM
itzy

lol yeah??????? let me at it for 5 mins...seems i can break just about everything
Old 11-10-2005, 02:40 PM
Bash-m-up

I did the LCG mod the same way, but did all eight of the shocks, I am still able to bash like I always did. Jumping isn't at all a problem, mine simply won't bottom out, I took an extra 1/4" of fuel tubing and placed it at the base of the shock rod, this keeps the shocks from bottoming out and in essence keeps the truck from doing it too. The Savage has stock black bumps already there, I just added to them, works great and will also prevent the shocks from busting when taking the big air jumps that cause fast and hard compressions. Give it a whirl, see what you think and let me know.
Old 11-10-2005, 03:29 PM
Nitronutt
My Feedback: (2)

You mean you don't like the look of my Big Joes on Mambo 40 Series? It IS a VERY STABLE combo.

Name:	Fd92188.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	351872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62212.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	351873  
Old 11-10-2005, 03:39 PM
tmodlin

Nitronut. I think the wheels you have on your truck look awesome. I just prefer more of a sidewall on my tires. After doing some research I am looking into the 40 series even more. It seems that they improve handling by a lot.

Thanks again for all the tips/suggestions, it has helped a lot. Now I have to figure out my exact budget so I can make a decision, college seems to be taking all of my money.

Thanks again,
Tim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.