Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Removing wrinkles from Painted Monocoat

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Removing wrinkles from Painted Monocoat

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 09:13 AM
FlatOut1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing wrinkles from Painted Monocoat

Anyone had any luck removing these after painting? Just had to be that right under the paint I got wrinkles, I know if i hit it with an iron the paint will melt. Is there a temp that will remove the wrinkles, at least activate the glue on the monocoat without melting the paint ?

Jeff
Old 11-14-2005, 05:47 PM
mirwin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Removing wrinkles from Painted Monocoat

Jeff, I'm surprised you didn't get any answers to this but then maybe not many paint MonoKote.

I've done it a number of times and here's what I've learned:

1. Even if you don't have wrinkles, go over the airframe with a hot air gun to get the skin really tight. That minimizes the chance that you'll have wrinkles later on.
2. If you get wrinkles after you've painted and IF the paint is well cured, then carefully use the heat gun. But don't get it as close to the skin as you would on MonoKote.
3. Don't even think of trying an iron.

Good luck,
Mike
Old 11-15-2005, 08:57 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Removing wrinkles from Painted Monocoat

I use an iron. But I lay a piece of white cotton T-shirt over the area first. Then I use the iron. Dont let the cloth move. Been doing this for years on painted ultracoat with rustoleum on it. Use a light touch. Some areas get the hot air gun but you have to be careful, again, a light touch is needed. The good thing about rustoleum is it stays reasonably pliable.
Edwin