Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

I hate my JetCat!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

I hate my JetCat!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 01:19 AM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I hate my JetCat!!!!!

I just love adjusting, tweaking, and in general messing around with things. Nothing gives me greater pleasure than putting a new engine on the test stand and spending all afternoon getting it dialed in. Now being an old RAM flyer that has been a great source of entertainment for me. I have had a new P70 sitting around for a while that was earmarked for a marathon construction project T-33. The other day I decided to put the 70 in a new Rookie that is waiting on an engine. Well you can just imagine my displeasure when I slapped the new P70 on the test stand ,hit the button for the first time and 30 seconds later its putting out 19.2 honest-to-god pounds of thrust!!!!! Now just whatinthehell am supposed to do with the rest of the afternoon that I had reserved for dial in???? I feel cheated- I think I will send it back to Bob and have him mess up the settings a bit. Scott
Old 11-14-2005, 01:34 AM
Kevin Greene
My Feedback: (85)

Default RE: I hate my JetCat!!!!!

---You could buy an AMT AT-400 if you want to be entertained for a good while I hear.....

Kevin
Old 11-14-2005, 01:48 AM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

lol !!
Old 11-14-2005, 01:54 AM
F-22-Raptor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can get an old sophia for you if you really need to play with settings
Old 11-14-2005, 02:26 AM
mugenkidd
My Feedback: (94)

If you lived closer I'd let you come work on, ticker with, my FTE (ram)-500[]
Old 11-14-2005, 03:57 AM
mick15

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How true Andreas, trouble with the Sophia though was you pi**ed around for weeks and still ended up in disappointment.

Mick
Old 11-14-2005, 06:43 AM
tahfiet

Hi Andreas!

You are wrong. The settings have ever been correct. It just takes a good amount of white-fuel ans more air-pressure than supported by the first-stage to get her turning and burning. Been there, done that

But I can offer you a Frank-turbine with a Projet-ECu. Actually it isn't really mine, but go for any turbine with Projet-ECU and download the latest software. That is always funny

Greets, David
Old 11-14-2005, 07:07 AM
Chris Z
My Feedback: (24)

I try to tell people that the biggest problem with the Jetcat's are; bringing enough fuel to the field. They simple work great, right out of the box!
Chris
Old 11-14-2005, 07:11 AM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

ORIGINAL: CJZ

I try to tell people that the biggest problem with the Jetcat's are; bringing enough fuel to the field. They simple work great, right out of the box!
Chris
LOL!
I AGREE!

My P60 starts everytime and runs perfectly.

"Gotta find something else to complain about!"

Dave Rigotti
Old 11-14-2005, 07:26 AM
NickC5FE
My Feedback: (31)

Hey scott, was that the p-70 you bought from me. If so, darn, i feel cheated! 19 lbs of thrust? WOW. Nick
Old 11-14-2005, 08:00 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

You should get one of the P-160s!
EXCELLENT engine for your purposes! Ever see one shell on takeoff, with flames and all! COOL engine!
Old 11-14-2005, 08:09 AM
erbroens

I try to tell people that the biggest problem with the Jetcat's are; bringing enough fuel to the field.

agree,,, I am dangerously near to spend monthly more in jet fuel than in car gasoline...

Enrique

Old 11-14-2005, 08:24 AM
Silver182
My Feedback: (2)

Yep, now we just burn fuel... and replace tires...Sooo this weekend I decided to start exercising my prop planes and it all comes back! Damn thing is too rich, lean or won't idle.. should I remind everyone of what happens if the motor quits while taxiing out....sapping a finger getting it restarted..cause the starter or chicken stick is back in the pits
Old 11-14-2005, 08:53 AM
wojtek

you also forgot the clean up part from prop jobs ... if its not glo fuel gunk, then its smoke oil from the gassers, or at the very least grass clippings fused to the cowling
Old 11-14-2005, 09:27 AM
jetjockey
My Feedback: (8)

Yeah, not to mention getting whacked by the prop and having to go to the emergency room to get it sewed up. I've been flying jets too long, I guess. I forgot the props can really bite you - got it Friday afternoon with a YS 120 with a 14" prop. Back to Jets as soon as I get the stitches out!!!!!!!

Regards, Les
Old 11-14-2005, 10:40 AM
F-22-Raptor

Oh yes these prop stories. I once had a ZG-62 with gear that drives a 36"x34" Propeller. Shall we bet that you get respect once it is turning???[>:][>:]
You never ever will forget to secure the plane by strap once this piece of would bite you

The only thing I really miss with the probs is that my turbine never runs the other way round while started and if, I never would hold my hand in front of it [>:]
Old 11-14-2005, 10:54 AM
wojtek

The only thing I really miss with the probs is that my turbine never runs the other way round while started

lol yea, and no i had a friend holding a CAI razor by the nose as i started it , well, got too much gas in before i hit the glo plug, and I almost blew my friends nuts off ... well, maybe not all that bad, but the hair on his theieyes was singed ( literally ) ...

the same poor dude also got a nasty pop of gas blowing from a P80 on my grippen ( had the plane with the tail into the wind without thinking about it , now i always do as the propane can get blown back into the plane ) and got scared enough to fall back on his bum

anyway, i'll always take a turbine over a prop [8D]

Wojtek
Old 11-14-2005, 10:57 AM
piethein

The only thing I really miss with the probs is that my turbine never runs the other way round while started
I have seen that done.

I friend of mine wanted to get rid of the scuba tank for starting Ram750, so he made a small handheld startermotor for it. I was helping him out in the first attempts to start the engine.

It spooled up allright, but when the propane ignited, and gas feed started it just got extremely hot in the back. So we stopped there. He then changed to a bit bigger electricmotor with the same result untill to find out, that the motor was turning the turbine shaft the wrong way both times...[]

Then the polarity was changed it started like charm.

It seems, that the turbine can not work from -rpm to +rpm by itself!!!!

BR,
Jussi

Old 11-14-2005, 01:06 PM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

hey i have a gameboy to trade for your jetcat...lots of dialing!!!

george

ORIGINAL: GSR

I just love adjusting, tweaking, and in general messing around with things. Nothing gives me greater pleasure than putting a new engine on the test stand and spending all afternoon getting it dialed in. Now being an old RAM flyer that has been a great source of entertainment for me. I have had a new P70 sitting around for a while that was earmarked for a marathon construction project T-33. The other day I decided to put the 70 in a new Rookie that is waiting on an engine. Well you can just imagine my displeasure when I slapped the new P70 on the test stand ,hit the button for the first time and 30 seconds later its putting out 19.2 honest-to-god pounds of thrust!!!!! Now just whatinthehell am supposed to do with the rest of the afternoon that I had reserved for dial in???? I feel cheated- I think I will send it back to Bob and have him mess up the settings a bit. Scott
Old 11-14-2005, 01:56 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I will trade you even, my low time RAM 1000X for your P-70. You will have no end to fiddling and tinkering around with this RAM!
Old 11-14-2005, 02:23 PM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

ORIGINAL: Steve Collins

I will trade you even, my low time RAM 1000X for your P-70. You will have no end to fiddling and tinkering around with this RAM!
Thanks-been there done that. But in all honesty the last 750 that I have left has been the Energizer Bunny of turbines. I did have the starter upgraded to the X version and the newC02 software upgrade. That thing starts first time every time-nice soft starts and low EGTs. absolutley no problems. 500 and 1000 another story another time. Scott
Old 11-14-2005, 03:10 PM
tamjets
My Feedback: (2)

Scott,
I still have the Ram 500.
You want to play with it.

Old 11-14-2005, 03:43 PM
reo
My Feedback: (130)

JetCat = fuel and fly....all day!!.....plus great service from Bob to boot!!
Old 11-14-2005, 06:59 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Well you can just imagine my displeasure when I slapped the new P70 on the test stand ,hit the button for the first time and 30 seconds later its putting out 19.2 honest-to-god pounds of thrust!!!!! Now just whatinthehell am supposed to do with the rest of the afternoon that I had reserved for dial in???? I feel cheated- I think I will send it back to Bob and have him mess up the settings a bit. Scott
Man, you had me going on this, Scott! Shame on you!

I assume this P-70 is going in your nice BVM P-80 (or T-33, I am terrible at telling the difference!). In any case, that should be an awesome combo!!

Wilcox has a new technician (Jason) who is doing a heck of a job. If I am not mistaken, I saw this turbine run on the test stand and it looked awesome.

I am more enthused about JetCat USA that I have been in a long time. My P-180 is a beast, and I hope to get a little P-60 model up here in a couple of days to (re)join in on the fun!

Let me know if you need anything. Are you going to Mesa?
Old 11-15-2005, 12:26 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Dude!!!! now das Kold bro'. (knock on wood, pat pat pat, I'm pushing over 70 flights on my....ahem 400 but have gone through two bearing changes)

as I'm constantly reminded at work, better lucky than good.

oh yeah, Jetcats rock!!! congrats

ORIGINAL: Kevin Greene

---You could buy an AMT AT-400 if you want to be entertained for a good while I hear.....

Kevin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.