Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

TIG welder at harbor freight

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

TIG welder at harbor freight

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005, 03:02 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TIG welder at harbor freight

Saw it on display last time I was there. Anybody know anything about it? Whats the minimum current it can handle and so on.
Edwin
Old 11-22-2005, 04:12 PM
Gollywock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TIG welder at harbor freight

Edwin- A friend of mine built a 5x8' trailer using a H/F wire welder. Said that it worked fine. If I were to buy one, I would get the best 230 volt one I could afford simply for the increased duty cycle. If you'll go here http://www.harborfreight.com/ you can read more about them, duty cycle, current, etc.
Better watch out tho, a wire welder will spoil you -Jim
BTW- my brother used to live in Leander, a couple of blocks west of the Post Office- Jim
Old 11-23-2005, 08:14 AM
Edwin

Leander aint the same town it used to be. Almost got 2 lights now.

I have a old regular arc welder and am ramping up to build a 12x5x4 airplane hauling trailer. My truck is killing me on diesel. Its 30 miles one way to the Georgetown field and ARCA is 36 miles one way. I was looking specifically for a TIG to do some aluminum welding. Want to make my own mufflers. I didnt see anything on the minimum current and duty cycle on the web site. I'll be welding up some .062" wall thickness. It looks like a new product cause I havent seen it listed before. And yeah, no doubt a wire welder would spoil me.<g>
Edwin
Old 11-23-2005, 10:56 AM
SST

What's the voltage of this TIG? I've been waiting for someone to come out with a 110v TIG for us hobby types. And if you have a stick welder already, I'd look into a 110v wire/mig setup. If you keep it to 3/16 or thinner stock, my Clarke does a great job. and didn't cost a fortune. The buzz box handles the heavier stock. You haven't lived until you've done some fusion welding with a TIG...
Old 11-23-2005, 12:10 PM
Edwin

Its a 220VAC. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91811
Edwin
Old 11-23-2005, 12:31 PM
Gollywock

SST- 110 volt wire welders have been around a long time. Thats what most of the muffler shops use. You can get a dandy 110v Lincoln from Home Depot or Sears among other places. Although somewhat more expensive than H/F, the duty cycle is better, which means a heavier duty welder. The one draw back to a Tig welder is that you can't weld in any kind of wind unless you use flux core wire. The wind will blow the argon/co2 away from the work. Jim
Old 11-23-2005, 12:33 PM
sscherin
My Feedback: (1)

Miller makes 120/220v inverter Tig welders.

The maxstar 150 will autodetect 120 or 220v..
It's $1050 for the kit from Cyberweld but it's DC only (tough to weld aluminum on DC only)

The Hobart 150STi is basicly the same unit

The Dynasty 200 will also do 120/200v and it's AC/DC but costs $2400

The Miller Econotig at $1300 will do AC/DC but it's 220v only.

That little HF unit does look interesting but I'd really want the ability to tig aluminum.

Golly.. The units at Homedepot and Lowes (heck even Walmart now) are MIG or Fluxcore welders..

Mig (metal inert gas) is wirefeed where the filler wire also carries the current and a shielding gas (C02 or C02 argon mix).

Then you have Flux Core (really MIG without the Gas, a different wire and the polarity reversed)

TIG (tungston inert gas) uses a Tig torch that creates the arc using a tungston element and you manualy feed the filler rod like you would with a aceteline torch. Think of TIG as gas welting with an arc..

I wish I didn't sell my Miller TA-252BP
400amp AC tig welder made in 1957.. It was a 975lb tank but it would weld 1/2"
Old 11-23-2005, 01:13 PM
Gollywock

Guys- I'm sorry, I completely misread the original post. I hope I didn't mislead anyone. Jim