Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Twin Electric Yellow Aircraft F4

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Twin Electric Yellow Aircraft F4

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 01:55 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Twin Electric Yellow Aircraft F4

I recently completed the conversion of a Y/A F4 to twin 90MM Schubeler fans.
It features a 1:1 power to weight ratio. The conversion involved a total redesign and molding of inlets and the wing supports.
The all carbon fans are spun by Plettenberg HP 220 motors. Fuel is an 8000mah 8S2P lipoly pack.
I plan Fly it at Florida Jets
Thanks, Bob

You can download the video here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&page=11&pp=15
Old 11-23-2005, 02:15 AM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Twin Electric Yellow Aircraft F4

Hi,

First, a few questions: Why did you have to modify the 'wing supports'? Was it because of the space required for two fans instead of one? What retracts? What was the out-the-door cost of your propulsion units?

Second, a comment: That 5 second video was the coolest, most intriguing and inspiring thing I've seen on our F-4 in a long, long time. That is COOL!!! I can't wait to see it painted! Please keep us posted, and send me the drawings of the install!
Old 11-23-2005, 06:52 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts

Thanks Shaun if there is only five seconds of video something happend to my upload.

The full video is posted here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&page=11&pp=15

About one minute long and has a number of high speed passes and the landing with taxi back.

The wing spars had to be modified to clear the twin ducts and were made from two laminations of marine grade ply. Then I inlayed doublers from 1/8" marine grade plywood. The retracts are Springair 301 as recommended. I bent a new front strut and machined a hub to carry twin nose wheels. Each fan unit was roughly a grand. The hand made carbon fans weigh a mere 2.0 oz eack and can be spun at up to 41000 rpm. I may actually produce a conversion set. This would include the two inlets, Fan formers and wing spars.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:15 AM
Chris True
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, that isn'tt he whole video Bob - wonder what changed! All that is there now is the takeoff and first turn...

Great Project!