Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

BME Edge or Yak/Fuji Engine Advice

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

BME Edge or Yak/Fuji Engine Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 09:07 AM
carcraze

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BME Edge or Yak/Fuji Engine Advice

Hi all

I am trying to put together a budget 3D practice plane for next year. I am looking at a BME edge or Yak for the plane. For the engine I have a line on a Fuji 50 with the ignition converted to electronic. I have experiance with ZDZ and 3W in my larger planes but want something to hammer on so I want a used engine and this one is available to me. Any thoughts on this engine for a 16 Lb plane for 3D. Rcign did the conversion so I am confident the ignition is solid.

Thanks
Mat
Old 11-25-2005, 09:16 AM
thevirginian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: BME Edge or Yak/Fuji Engine Advice

I don't know if the electronic ignition will give you more power but I know what prop you should run with this engine. Put a Mezjlik 20x10 on the nose and you should have a fairly decent combo. But don't expect too much of excitement. The Fui is no power demon.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:30 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the BME Edge with a DA50 flew it4 times so far, unreal performer. Since that Fuji's kind of heavy, I'd use a balsa/CF sheet composite firewall and leave off the wheel pants. That would offset the extra weight in the nose for balance and make it fly a little better with less weight. Most of the Yaks and and Edges out there will be 17-18 pounds with the light 50cc gasser and add at least a pound if you go Fuji. Another thing you could do is use smaller battery packs with high discharge rates to keep the weight down (see NoBS 1100 NiMh packs with 7 milli ohm internal resistance - under sport packs). Also use a 16 oz tank. All the above cuts weight with hardly any added $$.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:58 PM
drbebob

I agree with Joe. Lose the heavy firewall. I would recommend going with the EdgeII as it will come out at least a pound lighter than the Yak (on average).

bob
Old 11-25-2005, 02:02 PM
carcraze

Well I think I will do the Edge for sure seems to be what I want. Now all I have to do is either go for the Fuji or wait for a used DA or MVVS or something. I am not comfortable doing the low stuff with my larger planes so I want an on the ground 3D'er even if I have to go to a different motor.

Mat
Old 11-25-2005, 06:52 PM
drbebob

Good idea to have a smaller, more easily transportable, more easily replaceable model to get close to the ground with. If you can learn to 3D with a 28-30% mount you can be confident that everything will be easier with a 35-40% except for that fear of the smoking hole in your wallet. Don't know much about Fuji motors but I sure do like my DA50. There seem to be a bunch of folks buying the Fuji 43 as a combo with the GP Ultimate-- look at the GP Ultimate thread. You might want to wait around and see what Fuji owners have to say about them. By that time a good used DA may come up for sale. The MVVS motors look great also and if they are being supported by Horizon that might be an option though the small numbers sold so far and the fact that they are so new on the US market may make a used on hard to come by.

Bob